DIY Black upgrade kit..

As my new VRS 3 is a 'stock' car, it has Race Blue mirrors and the silver grille.  I'd have loved the black pack, and now having checked out Super Skoda for upgrade bits (I know, I haven't even got it yet!), it looks like you can get the bits from them to DIY:

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-RS-BLACK-mirror-shell-replacement-orig-Skoda-Autoas

http://www.superskoda.com/Skoda/OCTAVIA-III/Octavia-III-BLACK-MAGIC-grille-frame-from-Octavia-III-RS

Let the modding begin!!! :-)

Tom

• Like 1

Good find, thanks for this. Regarding the black pack, it's a personal thing I suppose. I really like the look of it on the white cars, but on racing blue I thought it looked better with the mirrors colour coded.

Good find, thanks for this. Regarding the black pack, it's a personal thing I suppose. I really like the look of it on the white cars, but on racing blue I thought it looked better with the mirrors colour coded.

Same for me - I decided against the black pack on a race blue vrs estate as swmbo wasn't keen on the idea of gloss roof rails.  Very tempted to replace the front chrome surround with the black pack one though.

It will suit some cars but not others. Not sure why the roof rails on the estate should be done in gloss back though? I felt these could have remained as they were and reduced the cost by £50. I'll pass judgement when mine arrives in a few weeks.

White is a definite as is probably black and red. Blue I agree should stay as is but maybe replacing the chrome on the front with the black trim piece will be a good compromise. Several of the Mk2 Fab VRS owners went for the Monte Carlo grill surrounds when they came out and dependent on the cars colour it worked well. We have a black magic Monte and the look (imho) is stunning. The other colours are probably best having the chrome grill colour coded to the car. That will probably be a very good look.

Find it quite funny...years ago all you had was black plastic wing mirrors and everyone went out and bought replacement or had the originals colour matched.

Now most cars have colour coordinated wing mirrors and we are pulling them off and getting back to black!

Remember paying a fortune to have all the plastics on my XR2 colour matched incl all the bumpers and side bits. Funny how it goes around.

• Like 1

Same for me - I decided against the black pack on a race blue vrs estate as swmbo wasn't keen on the idea of gloss roof rails. Very tempted to replace the front chrome surround with the black pack one though.

Tell swmbo to but out :)
  • Like 1

Some kind of fitting guide might be useful if anyone sources one? I seem to remember getting the Mk2 FL grille apart was a PITA!  Wing mirror covers should pop off fairly easily hopefully?

After reading this thread this morning, I took the plunge and ordered a black grill (£73.50 including postage at the current exchange rate, if you were wondering), as soon as it arrives I'll be fitting it so I'll let you know how hard or easy it is. I'll take a few pics as I go. :)

• Like 1

I've ordered my black grille and mirror caps today too - so excited!

My black magic grill surround arrived yesterday, and it looks good! Light was fading last night so didn't attempt to fit it, if I get chance I'll have a stab at it tonight, if not Saturday morning.....happy days

post-106910-0-08597800-1378547474_thumb.jpgpost-106910-0-03341600-1378547486_thumb.jpgpost-106910-0-28592000-1378547498_thumb.jpg

Pics or it didn't happen CharleyB!!  :rofl:

A fitting guide would be ace though.  Does anyone know how the mirror covers come off too?

Here you go hkp, photographic evidence! haha. 

Now lets just say it was a pig to do! I actually broke the chrome surround when taking it off. The problem lies with lack of access to the rear of the grill - there isn't any! I would say to do it correctly you'd have to take the front bumper off (which I didn't do). Someone with more patients -than me- and with good car maintenance skills should be able to manage it!

The end result is ok though :sun:

Holy cow that looks awesome!!!!! Good work.

Does the grille not come off then fairly easily (like the old FL)?

I'll go out and look under the bonnet of my new beastie now.

• Like 1

Never looked at my last car (Octavia mkII vRS FL tsi), but I know this one is hard to get in to, at first I thought if I undid the three screws on top of the slam panel that I could flip the grill out, but it's fixed to the two side parts that form part of the bumper. I tried to get at it from underneath, but that's all blocked off with the under tray panels. In the end I thought, I'm not going to use the chrome one again and used a bit of brute force! Not subtle I know, and you have to be careful not to mark any of the surrounding grill. You can just about get to the bottom clips through the grill, but the ones on the top are covered, hence how I broke the chrome surround. I also suffered the odd minor flesh wound, more through my frustration and ham fisted ways than anything else. I'd do it again though, and I'm well chuffed with how it looks. Let me know how you get on hkp?

Just for info - I was in signing up for my new vRS today and the dealer is doing the grill and mirrors for me but he discovered that the grill can be ordered painted from Skoda. Price he told me was £45 so seems pretty good compared to super skoda, that did exclude fitting though.

• Like 1

Today's update - Mirrors on, grille not yet due to the dealer who was doing it not being able to get the old silver trim off!  I may try myself tomorrow. CharleyB managed it, so I guess with some patience I could nail it.

• Like 1