Hi everyone, I have a problem in my new Octavia III 1.4 TSI SE (petrol) bought three weeks ago. There is a very low frequency boom/reverberation which is triggered by the slightest bump or uneven surface on the road even at very low speeds. It is such a low note that it feels like rapid fluctuations of pressure on my ears. It gets loud when I am on an uneven road surface and makes me feel rather queasy. I've even tried wearing earplugs but the volume still seems loud, I have read that this may be because the sound at low frequencies is partly carried to the eardrums by the bones of the skull! On a typical motorway it seems much quieter but this may be due to the increase in road/wind noise obscuring the lower notes.

I took the car back to the dealer and test drove it out on the road with the chief mechanic, he acknowledged the noise (though of course without actually saying it was too loud) and said that they had had another owner take their car back for the same reason, this owner had apparently eventually accepted the problem. I am going back in a couple of days to try their hire car which is a similar engined model and see if the noise is present on that, this will help determine if the noise is a fault on my car or just typical of this model in general.

The car is behaving well in all other respects but this noise is spoiling my driving enjoyment. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do about it and was it successful e.g. is there a sound deadening kit available that has worked for you, for example? The tyres are 205/55 R16 Michelin but it is not normal tyre 'roar', the pitch is much deeper than that. It is not the engine, which is fairly quiet at all speeds.

I've driven many cars over the years (I am 60) but never experienced a problem like this. I'll report back on my experience with the hire car.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

• Like 1

I have a 3 week old TSi SE 1.4 like yours. I too have experienced this low frequency boom. I put it down to the "cheaper" rear suspension as opposed to the one available on the VRS. Is it torsion beams as opposed to independent rear suspension (I am no mechanic!). I seemed to remember picking this up on reviews I have listened to on You Tube. Wouldn't have thought it would be the Michelin Energy tyres. I am getting winter tyres fitted on Thursday and can report back after then to see if still as bad on these tyres.

• Like 1

Here is an update on my 'body boom/reverb' problem. I had a test drive in the dealer's petrol 1.4 TSI Octavia SE Mark III today and the problem was just as bad as on my own car. The mechanic who came out with me in the car even acknowledged it as 'annoying'. So the Skoda dealer accepts that there is a problem and have sent a technical report to Skoda UK saying that there is an issue on my car and also on theirs. Skoda though say they have no record of any similar problem on this model (though this dealership does have a record of a similar customer complaint on an 'old style' Octavia, there was talk of having fitted stiffer rear springs to try and cure it as advised by Skoda, though they couldn't remember whether this was successful in curing the fault).

It is logged in as a problem now at Skoda who have asked the dealer to record any further complaints on this model (though they are not selling many petrol models). Skoda have also said they will examine any similar reports from other dealerships. If this dealer get any more petrol models they will drive it out on the road before the owner gets it and see if the noise is present. By the way, I am not personally convinced that the problem is confined to petrol models, I did test drive a diesel before buying my petrol model but my attention of course was on the car as a whole and didn't notice the reverb. problem at the time. 

In the meantime could any of you who get this problem flag it up to your dealer so that Skoda realise it is a serious issue affecting more than one owner? I think that Skoda are dragging their feet and it could be months before I get any kind of result. 

Any advice gratefully received.

On Thursday I had winter tyres fitted (Avon Ice Touring ST). These tyres have made a bit of a difference but the rumble is definetely still audible. I may go back to the dealer as you have and see what they say. I suspect they will say that it is just the way the torsion beam suspension is set up. I never had this issue one either my mk2 Octavia, Superb mk2 and Superb mk3.

On Thursday I had winter tyres fitted (Avon Ice Touring ST). These tyres have made a bit of a difference but the rumble is definetely still audible. I may go back to the dealer as you have and see what they say. I suspect they will say that it is just the way the torsion beam suspension is set up. I never had this issue one either my mk2 Octavia, Superb mk2 and Superb mk3.

Well they didn't have torsion beams though..... At least the mkII Octavia didn't and i strongly suspect the Superb didn't either..... although there's only been 2 superbs so no idea what you mean by the mk3?....

Edited by Neily03

Well they didn't have torsion beams though..... At least the mkII Octavia didn't and i strongly suspect the Superb didn't either..... although there's only been 2 superbs so no idea what you mean by the mk3?....

Meant mk1 and mk2 Superb.

This sounds like what I could hear on the 170 diesel superb estate I test drove last week which had me worried about buying then facing endless ag with the dealer. They are better than most but still tend to look at you as if you are imagining it.

Hi,

I don't have the same problem, but on a german forum where I read, there are a lot of users reporting the same problem. They say that the boom is caused by the rear dampers.

the link is in german

http://www.skodacommunity.de/skoda-forum/skoda-octavia-iii-forum/87256-polternde-hinterachse-ursachen-%C3%BCbersicht-in-startbeitrag/

I didn't report it to the dealers' but I have the same problem. It is worse on the rumble strips outside the airport here or on rippled tarmac (so that's most of the roads in Aberdeen). It's similar to the noise you get when you open a sunroof and leave the windows closed.

• 4 weeks later...

This seems normal for me. I know what everyone is referring to but I don't see it as a problem since I'm used to it from my Mk1. 

After a while you won't notice it at all...

Ive just test driven a diesel VRS and noticed it ... nearest thing I can liken it to is when sunroofs were en vogue when you fully opened it you could get a slight vibration on the top of your head ... I found that the cure for that was to open the drivers side window a little :think:

Not saying that would cure it but thats what it felt like to me :wonder:

This seems normal for me. I know what everyone is referring to but I don't see it as a problem since I'm used to it from my Mk1. 

After a while you won't notice it at all...

Hi!

Thanks for your answer. To be sure that we are talking about the same feeling, is it like your years become clogged for a moment when going over bumps?

I hope in time I will get used to it too.

Hi!

Thanks for your answer. To be sure that we are talking about the same feeling, is it like your years become clogged for a moment when going over bumps?

I hope in time I will get used to it too.

Yes exactly - a very low frequency sound. I'm just used to it I guess...

Same here. Does it with both summer and winter tires.

So there are more of us who are noticing this sound. Maybe we are more sensitive to this kind of low freq reverberation.

For a moment I thought I'm crazy, because my wife for example doesn't notice it at all.

If anyone can find a fix for it, please let everybody else know on this thread.

I wonder if the original poster has found any solution toghether with the dealer.