Yet with thousands reading and hundreds posting every day, we of course need rules to help keep the place running smoothly and protect our broad range of users. So here are a few key pointers to take into account when using the forums. We have also adopted some simple posting guidelines to help you.
TL;DR; Be kind and respectful to each other.
All information is the opinion of posters, not BRISKODA.net
We have an amazing forum with a huge wealth of helpful information. Please remember it's open to all, and sometimes messages are posted that are misleading or downright wrong; and while most users are helpful, there will always be a few bad apples. Don't rely on information being accurate or complete. If you do, it's at your own risk.
Please do your own research before acting.
You can be held liable for what you post. So we have some guidelines for you to abide by.
This isn?t a ?freedom of speech site?, as when you post something not only are you liable, but we can be liable too as the publisher once we have notice of it. Our removing has implications for you too!
So it's not a case of posting what you like; we can delete posts if needed,though of course our aim is to ensure legitimate information stays.
Posting is a privilege not a right.
This is a privately owned site. Posting is a privilege, not a right. Any inappropriate posts or any issues that take up a disproportionate amount of site resources or make it a worse place to be will be stopped at our discretion - with or without explanation. This site is free for everyone; when there are issues we pay to resolve them. And sometimes we need to prioritise spending money on the site, on other issues or on better resources.
Please be nice to all Briskodians.
Remember the prime aim is to help provide information and resources. If you don?t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they?re intruding on ?your board?, then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
The guidelines listed below are expected to be followed by all members of the community. Please take the time to give them a read.
- Selling or direct solicitation of ANYTHING in the general forum or by private message is not allowed and will result in the deletion of the post or topic. Repeat offenders will possibly lose their posting privileges. Please post your private items that you wish to sell in the For Sale section of the forum, but note that you must be Freedom member to do so and advertisements MUST include a selling price. If you have a product or service that you feel can benefit our community, contact us BEFORE you post! You will have the ability to refute the restriction but it is up to you to contact us.
- Spamming/advertising in the general forums is not tolerated. Again, if you have a product or service that would be of interest to our members, visit our contact page and get in touch. We offer a variety of packages that can be of great benefit to your company.
- No shameless promotions of other related sites or board wars. There is no problem with occasionally using the name of other sites or even posting a link to a pertinent thread from another site, but repeatedly referring to other related sites is considered ?SPAM? and is not allowed. Please have the decency NOT to put links to them in your signature or to post or send private messages telling our members to come over to another related site.
- Cross-posting is not allowed and can result in the deletion of one or both posts. Cross-posting is defined as posting the same information in two or more separate forums. We understand that some topics might fit into more than one forum. Please try to pick the most appropriate one and stick with it.
- Respect is the name of the game. Do not flame, hound, badger, disrespect, or taunt ANYONE on the forums. If we feel a thread is getting out of hand we will close it or delete it. You can and very possibly will be banned if you continue this type of behaviour. This is on a case by case basis with experience where possible.
- Vulgar language and offending material is not tolerated and if you violate this rule one time, you will be warned and if you do it a second time, you will be removed from the forums immediately. You will NOT have the ability to refute this.
- If you don't own it then don't post it, respect copyright.
- Illegal transactions/sites like warez, selling of personal information (i.e. credit cards, e-mail addresses), pornography, etc are not allowed in the forums and will result in the deletion of the post and the revocation of your posting privileges.
- Anyone found posting excessive links to their URLs, or suspected of ?sneaky? advertising, will be warned and possibly banned. We consider this a very broad rule and will be only followed out as a last resort for suspected actions. If you have a product or service that you feel can benefit our community, contact us BEFORE you post! We are implementing this rule in order to give our Moderators and Administrators more control over editing content. If you feel you have been wrongly accused please contact a forum Administrator as soon as possible with the details.
- Moderators and Administrators have the final say in all forum matters. If you have a problem or a complaint raise it with them using Messenger, e-mail or the Report button - but NEVER in the forums. They will then take the appropriate actions. Bad mouthing, insulting and criticising an Administrator or Moderator decision in the public forum will be heavily frowned upon. Depending on the severity, appropriate action may be taken against the offending member(s).
- Most of all?.Have fun, drive safely and enjoy the site.
To clarify, no content in the list below may be added to BRISKODA, it will be removed without consultation. Repeat offenders will be removed.
- Pornography, adult or mature content
- Violent content
- Content related to racial intolerance or advocacy against any individual, group or organization
- Excessive profanity
- Hacking/cracking content
- Illicit drugs and drug paraphernalia content
- Sales of beer or hard alcohol
- Sales of tobacco or tobacco-related products
- Sales of prescription drugs
- Sales of weapons or ammunition (e.g., firearms, firearm components, fighting knives, stun guns)
- Sales of products that are replicas or imitations of designer or other goods
- Sales or distribution of coursework or student essays
- Content regarding programs which compensate users for clicking ads or offers, performing searches, surfing websites or reading emails
- Any other content that is illegal, promotes illegal activity or infringes on the legal rights of others
All members are expected to adhere to the following forum rules at all times whilst using BRISKODA.net as well as any section specific rules which will appear as "pinned" threads and clearly named as rules applying to that section. These rules apply to both open forum and private messaging system (PM).
Site staff may make changes to these rules at any time, so it is advised that members regularly refresh themselves with the following.
Your ignorance that the forum rules exist is not a valid defence from site staff enforcing them.
1. Moderation & Site operation.
The site is monitored by site staff who do so voluntarily and under the direction of the site owner.
Site staff have the final say in all matters, and their actions in enforcing site rules are not to be discussed or challenged in open forum. If a post has been edited or removed, then it has been for good reason. Please don't start asking for a public explanation of site staff actions, or to a matter that you have no involvement in, as none will be given.
Site staff always welcome constructive criticism on how the site could be made better, but how the site is run and the rules imposed are not open for debate on the forum. You are welcome to raise any issues privately, including the conduct of any staff member in enforcing these rules by emailing the site owner via hello [at] BRISKODA.net
Any action(s) discussions taken by site staff will remain a private matter between site staff and any members concerned until such time as it's observable. A public log after a ban is present.
Members must not take the law into their own hands. It is requested that members report anything they believe breaks the forum rules to site staff to investigate and take action if necessary.
2. Membership levels
There are 5 membership groups on BRISKODA.net.
- Members - standard free membership
- New members have some minor restrictions in place for a few posts.
- Freedom - subscription enhanced membership
- Sponsors - companies & people who support the forums, many of whom offer members discounts on products and services. They, along with site staff, are the only membership level permitted to carry out commercial activity. Please report all instances otherwise.
- Honorary - given by the site owner in recognition of contributions to BRISKODA.net
- Site staff - moderators and administrators of BRISKODA.net
Freedom benefits and subscription details can be found at http://www.briskoda.net/forums/store/product/81-site-supporter-freedom/
3. Conduct and warnings
It is expected members will self moderate their posts in accordance with these rules.
Site staff aim to provide warnings before imposing forum suspensions in most instances. Where these are insufficient, or in the case of spammers and repeat offenders, further action may be taken following investigation of deleted or previously edited post history.
- Warnings via PM using the 'warn status' is a function of the forum software
- Moderator approval of all posts by a member
- Temporary suspension from posting, ranging from 24hours to 7 days.
- Permanent exclusion
The site is operated by volunteer time, so as to not waste time, you will get up to two warnings; the second is discretionary, then if you repeat your actions within a trigger period of 1 month you will receive a Permanent exclusion.
All appeals are heard by the site owner, but let face it if you've had warnings and ignored them, it's very unlikely to result in an override on permanent exclusions. To appeal send an email to webmaster @ briskoda.net detailing your case.
Warnings, Suspensions and permanent exclusions are a last resort, brought upon by your own actions, so we respectfully ask you to consider your post before clicking.
It is expected that members will not:
- conduct on the forum anything that is deemed to be criminally illegal, or even bordering upon it. i.e. Stolen goods, theft of money or items, scams etc.
- make abusive posts or gestures towards other members, including spelling & grammar, racist, sexual, religious or political abuse, actual violence or inciting violence, any abuse or bullying whether it be physical or mental towards anyone for any reason, whether they are resident to the forum or not.
- post anything that could or may be legally challenged, including defamation of character, slander or libellous content.
- start worthless threads, stupid stunts, street racing/drag racing on public roads or bragging rights. i.e. My car is quicker than your car, or versus threads
- post swear words or attempt to circumvent the swear filter in any way. This includes using special characters, numbers or phonetically spelling words.
- post publicly identifiable information such as email, telephone or address without the other members permission in open forum.
- carry out personal feuds or attacks, troll, flame wars or incite others to do so.
- post URLs that lead to an affiliate program or that in any way earn you something. We consider you earning something if you have an affiliate ID, Website, or if you earn money from banner impressions or click-thru's.
- "bump" threads simply to attempt to gain replies.
4. Usernames & Accounts
Abusive or names containing swear/sexual words are not permitted at any time.
Commercial names are only permitted by current site sponsors unless expressly authorised by site staff in writing. See Commercial activity
Members are not permitted to operate more than ONE active account on BRISKODA.net at anytime without the express written permission of the site owner. Members found to be operating multiple accounts will risk having all their accounts blocked.
As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent Summit360 Ltd cannot be held responsible for any hacking or cracking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
You agree that you are responsible for choosing a secure password that will not be shared with others and cannot be easily guessed or cracked by naughty people.
5. Posting & Freedom of speech
Your ability to post should be considered a privilege, not a given right.
We reserve the right to edit or remove anything at any time where site staff believe there could be legal issues for either the member posting content, or BRISKODA.net. We respectfully request that any claims you make in your posts are backed up with evidence in subject matters such as reviews or complaints about products or services. We respond to take down requests when emailed to hello [at] briskoda.net
All posts should be made in English. The use of other languages, or "txt speak" is not permitted and will lead to posts being removed.
Before starting a new thread, check if your subject/question has previously been discussed on the forum using the search function. It's often better to join an existing thread than start another on a subject that has been discussed previously.
Please also name your thread in a way that accurately describes the subject or question it contains. Site staff will rename any threads where the subject description and contents do not match. This is to enable others to find information effectively when searching the forum.
6. Copyright and license of use
By posting content to BRISKODA.net, you agree that BRISKODA.net has been granted a free license of use to any material posted by you and is exempt from future copyright or licensing claims.
Where you are not the copyright holder, you have sought permission from the copyright holder, and given credit to them for any material posted.
You agree not to use the BRISKODA.net logo on product or merchandise without consent from the site owner.
Signatures are subject to some basic restrictions. The restrictions are viewable when you edit your signature. They vary based on your group. The following rules apply.
Non-Freedom/sponsor:- i.e. new members. Signatures are disabled until after 30 posts.
Normal members:- permitted, 1 image, 468x60 at the most.
Freedom and others may have 2 images, 500x100 at the most. To clarify that's one image at 500x100 or two up to those dimensions.
Freedom members may post a link to classified sales advert in their signature.
Site sponsors may have their name & company name, an image depicting their logo and a link to their website in their signature. No other items will be permitted.
It is your responsibility to ensure the images you use are appropriate to the forum.
You should ensure the images are less than 40Kb in size and within the dimensions shown above.
I have disabled the remote image size verification as it poses a significant security risk and the software suppliers are unable to resolve at this moment, as it's my server, my call. Abuse of images in signatures will result in a warning and/or ban. Don't abuse it we all win!
8. For sale & wanted adverts
All members are permitted to place and respond to wanted classified adverts in the wanted forum.
Only Freedom members or higher membership levels may place for sale adverts, and only within the for sale forums. All sale adverts must include a price or invite offers with a provided guide price. Members may only post ONCE in their sale thread unless responding to questions or adding or amending information or pricing.
In order to sell items, you must hold full title of ownership, be selling on behalf of a family relative, or have permission to sell item. The last item maybe questioned by site staff, please don't be offended it's for the communities protection. All other selling on behalf of others/companies is not permitted.
Items which are illegal, counterfeit, stolen or contraband under UK law may not be sold or requested in the classifieds areas.
The frequency and number of concurrent sale threads by members will be monitored at all times. Where this becomes excessive or borders on commercial activity, this privilege may be revoked from the member concerned. See Commercial activity.
The only discussion permitted in classified threads are those which show interest in replying to the advert. Criticism of items or pricing, chit-chat, bumping threads or any other discussion not relevant will be removed.
By using the classifieds section, you accept that BRISKODA.net is not liable for any dealings that take place between members and will not become involved in any disputes that may arise. Please exercise sensible caution in sending payments for goods to unknown parties.
It is advised that you do not 'gift' payments to others as you are not protected should issues or disputes arise.
9. Group buys
Group buys may only be carried out in accordance with the rules posted in the Group Buy forum.
Note: Group buys are popular for sideloading company promotions. Business activity is only permitted by site sponsors unless authorised by the site owner in writing. Business activity by other members is not permitted at any time. Please see next rule.
For clarity, in group buys, business activity will be considered to be anything whereby the member makes money from anything which may be seen to be a regular practice. Each case is unique and cannot be compared to another. Examples of exploitation would be:
* Buying more than 1 scrap car per month to break.
* Organising frequent, regular meets at a friends workshop/work premises.
* Establishing group buys on behalf of traders who you know or whose products are easily available through our sponsors.
All classified adverts will be reviewed and any deemed to be commercial activity removed.
10. Business Activity
BRISKODA welcomes people & companies who wish to associate their business with our site and membership.
Defn Business: the activity of buying and selling goods and services
To discuss becoming a site sponsor, you should email colin [at] briskoda.net
To protect our community, members and existing sponsors we will remove commercial/business promotional posts from non-sponsors.
To aide in this assessment, these are common triggers for you to consider, services refers to goods or services.
- Services charges at < 70% of accepted rates.
- Services offered or sought outside of briskoda.
- Services offered as a sideline of main employment, e.g. using company premises.
- Services advertised by active or passive means, e.g. pm or get in touch on the footer of every post.
- Services offered in most every post, that is a poster whose posting habit exhibits a un-natural over tendency to talk or post about services they or a friend; acting as agent, offer.
All matters relating to conduct in the forums and compliance with these posting rules will be determined by the moderators under guidance from BRISKODAs' owner. Also while these rules cover most common situations, they cannot foresee everything. We reserve the right to take any actions deemed appropriate to ensure this site is not disrupted or abused in any way.
If we feel comments are getting out of hand we will close or delete it. You can and very possibly will be banned if you continue this type of behaviour. This is on a case by case basis with experience where possible.
We will try to warn first, then issue a temporary ban, then a permanent ban. We reserve the right to skip any of these phases!
We will take action if these rules are broken so make sure you read them carefully.