Skoda Octavia EGR Failure - 2 months out of warranty.

It doesn't matter, if there is evidence on a variety of forums then it would be up to Skoda to dis prove it. He invoked it with vw UK as the dodgy dealer he bought it from refused to help him even though it seized 6 days from purchase.

He's currently suing him for the £1.4k out of pocket he is for the 6 months his car was off the road and the part of the bill he had to pay

I've never failed using the sales of goods act from 20 quid powerline adaptors to laptops to cars.

Never having been in the situation I am obviously no expert. However I do not see how in the "eye of the law" any company would need to defend itself against hearsay on forums.

Never having been in the situation I am obviously no expert. However I do not see how in the "eye of the law" any company would need to defend itself against hearsay on forums.

if you're the one filing the case they need to defend. It's unlikely to be hearsay if vw, seat, audi and Skoda forums are all having the same issue

Vw deny that the cam chain tensioner is inherently faulty on my mates gti so how come they've paid for a new engine and said part is on about its 5th revision? (Can tell from last letter of part number)

if you find someone else with the same issue be it in person or on a forum they have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the part isn't inherently faulty

I've used the sales of goods act probably about 10times now and have never had to file a small claim because they know they won't win. If you stick to your guns and be firm and don't give in they'll crack

Closest I got to small claims was 24hours away after an18 month fight with vw to get both front wings replaced on my bora due to corrosion under their anti perforation warranty after several failed repairs. They came up with every excuse under the sun how it wasn't covered despite having repaired it under warranty 4 times previously (car was 7 years old). In the end I asked for case to be escalated to the top and a decision be made else in exactly 24hours time I would file a case on line to small claims. By 6pm that day they gave in

It's all about playing the game. The long game isn't always easy though if you haven't got a fully functioning car.

I'm currently in a legal wrangle over an appalling Sealy bed which is faulty, inherently so and not sold as described. That's another thread for another time though ;)

I tend to agree. Also, Skoda (VW Group) are in the position of knowing exactly how many of a particular have failed and replaced under warranty etc. although I'm sure they wouldn't disclose it.

As I've got nothing to lose and paid the deposit via credit card, I've submitted a s.75 claim, pending SKODA's decision. I'll see what they say.

The thing is, there is no legal claim to Skoda, you did'nt purchase the car from them, so if trying to claim under SOGA it will be Arnold Clark. Even if you purchased it new last week, you can only sue the supplying dealer. Many of us including me have paid out for expensive warranties to cover such events as well as keeping the service history going. Can't have it both ways!

Remove EGR, fit blanking kit, have the CEL light mapped out.

I know that's likely to be outwith of this discussion, and we're into the realms of vehicle modification, but I know what I'd do given the level of bills I'm seeing being mentioned here for EGR replacement!

The thing is, there is no legal claim to Skoda, you did'nt purchase the car from them, so if trying to claim under SOGA it will be Arnold Clark. Even if you purchased it new last week, you can only sue the supplying dealer. Many of us including me have paid out for expensive warranties to cover such events as well as keeping the service history going. Can't have it both ways!

Agree SOGA is with selling dealer but i believe this protects the customer up to 6 years from new. I am far from being an expert on the SOGA but your comment about paying for an expensive warranty suggests you are not fully aware of your rights under the SOGA and have instead payed for protection which you already have under the SOGA (unless your car is older than 6 years)

I have my car serviced at the recommended intervals to protect my investment and keep the car in working/roadworthy condition. I dont service it expecting it to fail outside of the manufacturers warranty in hope they will contribute towards repairs. This should be done regardless

I do think that warranties for cars older than 6 years is a good idea though for expensive repairs.

Agree SOGA is with selling dealer but i believe this protects the customer up to 6 years from new. I am far from being an expert on the SOGA but your comment about paying for an expensive warranty suggests you are not fully aware of your rights under the SOGA and have instead payed for protection which you already have under the SOGA (unless your car is older than 6 years)

I have my car serviced at the recommended intervals to protect my investment and keep the car in working/roadworthy condition. I dont service it expecting it to fail outside of the manufacturers warranty in hope they will contribute towards repairs. This should be done regardless

I do think that warranties for cars older than 6 years is a good idea though for expensive repairs.

If people have the time to get full independent reports to suggest that a fault on a 5yr old car was inherent and "there from the beginning" then great. I wish those people all the luck in the world.

You are giving the impression that if something goes wrong after 5yrs you simply demand they fix it, that they are in some way forced to do so. I'm sure you are aware that this isn't the case and there is quite strict criteria in place for you to be able to invoke these acts.

Somebody getting an "expensive warranty" is probably quite aware of his rights - what he doesn't have is some magic 6 year warranty where anything and everything that can go wrong with a vehicle can suddenly be fixed FOC.

All this "Invoke SOGA" posts we keep on seeing. How about pointing the posters to the actual act itself and see if they can invoke it rather than giving the impression it can be used in any situation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

********UPDATE**********

Well, my Octavia would have been at the local Skoda dealer two weeks tomorrow! After raising a claim with Skoda UK and much waiting, rejected offers, they agreed to a Goodwill gesture of 20% reduction on the part and a 60% reduction on the labour, to be split equally with the dealer. Total bill £501 slightly more palatable than the original £1200. The car was repaired today and I will collect it tomorrow. Although I am grateful for the contribution I still don't feel the part should have failed. Coincidentally today, I was also contacted by my credit card company, asking me to submit evidence, re a claim against the supplying retailer!

My dilemma now:

1/ change the car

2/ buy a warranty

3/ do nothing and hope for the best.

Many thanks to everyone for your contributions, opinions and advice - very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Nick

I turned up at the garage this morning, paid my £501, got in my car that I last saw two weeks ago, turned the ignition and................

- a flashing coil light on the dash!

I now have serious doubts that the problem was the EGR valve? I had to leave the car at the garage. Never ending. I have the old EGR valve which I will get examined. If anybody knows an independent vehicle/part examiner in the West Midlands, (Solihull ideally) who can prepare a report I would be grateful if you could let me know. I'm not sure if this is in the forum rules but I can provide an email address.

Cheers,

Nick

I tend to agree. Also, Skoda (VW Group) are in the position of knowing exactly how many of a particular have failed and replaced under warranty etc. although I'm sure they wouldn't disclose it.

As I've got nothing to lose and paid the deposit via credit card, I've submitted a s.75 claim, pending SKODA's decision. I'll see what they say.

Seems this problem is endemic with VAG cars.My wife's Golf 1.6 TDI had EGR valve fail at 23000 miles (bought new) and out of warranty. Because of ease I took it to an independent garage for diagnostics. Got car fixed in less than 24 hrs. VW garage couldn't do diagnostics for two days and fitting for 2 weeks! Parts supplier TPS ,who supply VAG parts ,told my garage these go for past time. Rumour has it RAC carry them as spare part. Tried to get some goodwill from VW .no chance you didn't take it to our agent so they could charge you £ 900 for what independent did for £ 495

They claimed I hadn't been" Loyal"! Loyal? I would have thought 24 cars since 1973 half of which were new was being pretty loyal. They also suggested independent garage or I could have tampered with valve. VW can stick their cars from now on. Prefer something with a longer warranty!

I turned up at the garage this morning, paid my £501, got in my car that I last saw two weeks ago, turned the ignition and................

- a flashing coil light on the dash!

I now have serious doubts that the problem was the EGR valve? I had to leave the car at the garage. Never ending. I have the old EGR valve which I will get examined. If anybody knows an independent vehicle/part examiner in the West Midlands, (Solihull ideally) who can prepare a report I would be grateful if you could let me know. I'm not sure if this is in the forum rules but I can provide an email address.

Cheers,

Nick

Have they cleared all the errors ? Their could also be a FAP sensor gone bad.

Have them install the latest ECU software and it seems it got higher values to do the regenerations and the clacking noise from injectores will disapear a great %. 

I have said this before, Audi and VW are far worst on EGR problems. (Seat also have many issues on the Ibiza but rare on the Leon)

• 2 months later...

********UPDATE**********

Well, my Octavia would have been at the local Skoda dealer two weeks tomorrow! After raising a claim with Skoda UK and much waiting, rejected offers, they agreed to a Goodwill gesture of 20% reduction on the part and a 60% reduction on the labour, to be split equally with the dealer. Total bill £501 slightly more palatable than the original £1200. The car was repaired today and I will collect it tomorrow. Although I am grateful for the contribution I still don't feel the part should have failed. Coincidentally today, I was also contacted by my credit card company, asking me to submit evidence, re a claim against the supplying retailer!

My dilemma now:

1/ change the car

2/ buy a warranty

3/ do nothing and hope for the best.

Many thanks to everyone for your contributions, opinions and advice - very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Nick

My wife's Fabia 1.6TDI is currently having it's EGR replaced. Bought second hand from a Skoda Dealer, Skoda Service History and 3 years 8 months old. After telling the dealer several times NOT to start the work as they kept quoting silly prices we got the bill down to approx. £280 from £1000 ish.

My feeling was if I let the dealer start the work we would probably end up paying most of it.

1st Offer was 35% off parts and labour which I told them wasn't enough. Two hours later I was told 65% off which was more like it. The dealer then phoned again an hour later and came up with £280 which was a shade over 70% off.

So if you get this fault just hold your ground until you get a sensible offer. As my dealer told me "It's a known fault" !

• 2 months later...

******** EGR update*******

I have just had the outcome of my s.75 claim and my credit card company have offered to reimburse the full cost of my claim and sundry expenses.

So although it's taken approx 5 months to sort, I feel justified that EGR valves shouldn't be failing on such new vehicles at the customers' expense. Also, a good reminder to always stick an amount on the credit card for larger payments (£100 in my case).

Unfortunately, my poor treatment by Skoda UK and the failure of my car have adversely affected my view of Skoda and their product!

Thanks to all for their contributions and advice re this issue.

• Like 2

******** EGR update*******

I have just had the outcome of my s.75 claim and my credit card company have offered to reimburse the full cost of my claim and sundry expenses.

So although it's taken approx 5 months to sort, I feel justified that EGR valves shouldn't be failing on such new vehicles at the customers' expense. Also, a good reminder to always stick an amount on the credit card for larger payments (£100 in my case).

Unfortunately, my poor treatment by Skoda UK and the failure of my car have adversely affected my view of Skoda and their product!

Thanks to all for their contributions and advice re this issue.

• Like 1

As you probably know that EGR not old stile unit, its big block with radiator inside. My failed at 100k.you can not buy any aftermarked cos it is not exist. So, original about 320 pounds and I paid 250 to fit it on. The cheapest option

• 10 months later...

Remove EGR, fit blanking kit, have the CEL light mapped out.

I know that's likely to be outwith of this discussion, and we're into the realms of vehicle modification, but I know what I'd do given the level of bills I'm seeing being mentioned here for EGR replacement!

Hi, there is a kit avalable for the 1.2 and 1.6 TDI CR engine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121471676566?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

and for the 2nd Genaration 2.0L CR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111497425351?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

My son works for Audi (same engines). They are having big problems with the egr system. The flap in the cooler part are falling of, then jamming the egr valve open. Also the vacuum pivit are also wearing, which is causing exhaust gases to leaking into the engine bay, which can get into the cabin. The cost of replacement-over £1,000. Yes the egr system needs to be mapped out.

Putting that on the 1.6tdi will throw engine light as low circulation air is detected. I do have one on mine that has a 20mm hole to reduce air flow. From time to time the engine light comes on, every 2000km or so. Having the ECU decoded the egr can be put to sleep.

Had this fault recently;  1.6 TDI

local independent charged £280 for the part plus 4 hours labour.

(The fitter said he had a real struggle with the job and it actually took more than 4 hours. He said he didn't want to do another one!

-his boss told him that now he had done one next time should be easy, - he wasn't happy!)

• 1 month later...

Hi, there is a kit avalable for the 1.2 and 1.6 TDI CR engine

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121471676566?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

and for the 2nd Genaration 2.0L CR

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111497425351?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

My son works for Audi (same engines). They are having big problems with the egr system. The flap in the cooler part are falling of, then jamming the egr valve open. Also the vacuum pivit are also wearing, which is causing exhaust gases to leaking into the engine bay, which can get into the cabin. The cost of replacement-over £1,000. Yes the egr system needs to be mapped out.

Can anyone recommend a Manchester based garage that would do this work ?

Our EGR failed 2 months ago with 80K on the clock. (2010 1.6 CR). Dealer quoted £800 including initial diagnostic check to fit replacement part. Found out later that because car had full service history from the original dealer from where it was purchased new, (not the dealer that did the EGR work), Skoda UK "good will" should've been factored in to the price.

After a couple of weeks got £215 back from dealer/Skoda UK.

£600-ish seems to be the going rate to supply/fit the part.

Was advised to make every 4th fuel 'Ultimate Diesel' (or equivalent) to try to keep the exhaust system cleaner. Most supermarket/cheaper diesel has approx. 7% biodiesel which VAG state should not be used in any of their engines.

Have noticed an improvement in average MPG, (low 40's to mid/high 40's), since using the more expensive diesel, which helps offset the increased cost per litre.

Which bit of Manchester are you in, and how far are you willing to travel?

North Manchester - but happy to travel within Greater Manchester or close-ish to.

If this kit can be fitted and the sensor mapped out with no implications for an MOT fail, then it seems the obvious option - its just over 4 years old, so no warranty issues, just want it to run reliably. 

The ebay listing claims various improvements - but tbh, if it runs the same, passes its MOT and doesn't have an £800 failure building up again, it suits me.   ANy opinions on this from users here who actually understand these things would be most welcome.

Bought this with a view to keeping it for the next few years .

Rab - K will do this with the fuel - never heard that advice before..... thanks.

Edited by Folkdeejay