L&K leather colour question

TheCreepster

Creepster perhaps with the arrival of another baby BROWN may not be for you,but for me seeing the upholstery in the flesh so to speak was not as bad as I thought ,both found it ok ,not a deal breaker and after a month no trouble with it and it breaks up all the grey ,basically it suits us.

This is possibly why some say you can get a good deal on the L&K model.

Just spec up an Elegance and get precisely what you want. The cost will be much the same.

Haha...  until you come to sell it.  Then the L&K's value is based on the base cost of the car that had all the goodies included...  And the Elegance's value will be based on the base cost of the car BUT the £3,000 you paid for the goodies is worth maybe, £300 if that...  So you will lose a LOT of money come selling time. It makes zero sense to spec up an Elegance.

The brown leather looks 95% black. How people can go on about it just because they know it is SUPPOSED to be brown is beyond my comprehension.

• Like 2

Haha...  until you come to sell it.  Then the L&K's value is based on the base cost of the car that had all the goodies included...  And the Elegance's value will be based on the base cost of the car BUT the £3,000 you paid for the goodies is worth maybe, £300 if that...  So you will lose a LOT of money come selling time. It makes zero sense to spec up an Elegance.

The brown leather looks 95% black. How people can go on about it just because they know it is SUPPOSED to be brown is beyond my comprehension.

Hehe...who cares, we purchased what we wanted and may or maynot sell it in 5 years time and then we will get whatever it's worth...no point in bleating on about second hand values when we all know they loose 30% to 40% when driven from the dealer. If I was at all worried about costs I would never have sold our Vitara. £25K new, £4K spent on servicing and parts, sold for £10K...in 3 years of ownership. You could after all leave it in the bank and let those rogues use it for self gain but give you 0% interest.

Hehe...who cares, we purchased what we wanted and may or maynot sell it in 5 years time and then we will get whatever it's worth...no point in bleating on about second hand values when we all know they loose 30% to 40% when driven from the dealer. If I was at all worried about costs I would never have sold our Vitara. £25K new, £4K spent on servicing and parts, sold for £10K...in 3 years of ownership. You could after all leave it in the bank and let those rogues use it for self gain but give you 0% interest.

All true...  I get that.  But when nearly 10% of the purchase cost (of an optioned Elegance) is just for the options (and that's what you more or less need to spend to get an Elegance to L&K spec) you are not talking peanuts here.  But yes some boffin can do an Excel sheet to show it makes sense at year 8 or 10 perhaps...  But in year three? Ha. It will never make financial sense I'm sorry. Options are always, always, always money down the drain and they do NOT lose a mere 30 to 40% of their value over 3 years.  You lose over 80 to nearly 90% of their value over 3 years.

Hypothetical values here (I can't be bothered to work out actual L&K and Elegance prices now):

£28,000 L&K value after 3 years at 40% = £16,800

£28,000 Elegance with £2,500 of options = Elegance value at 40% = £15,300.  Value of options at 80% (I'm being generous) = £500 so total value of car = £15,800

To you £1,000 might be nothing, but to me I can do better things with my money than throw that much away just because the slightly off black seats are in fact actually slightly off black and might have been daftly called "brown".   :D

All true...  I get that.  But when nearly 10% of the purchase cost (of an optioned Elegance) is just for the options (and that's what you more or less need to spend to get an Elegance to L&K spec) you are not talking peanuts here.  But yes some boffin can do an Excel sheet to show it makes sense at year 8 or 10 perhaps...  But in year three? Ha. It will never make financial sense I'm sorry. Options are always, always, always money down the drain and they do NOT lose a mere 30 to 40% of their value over 3 years.  You lose over 80 to nearly 90% of their value over 3 years.

Hypothetical values here (I can't be bothered to work out actual L&K and Elegance prices now):

£28,000 Elegance with £2,500 of options = Elegance value at 40% = £15,300.  Value of options at 80% (I'm being generous) = £500 so total value of car = £15,800

To you £1,000 might be nothing, but to me I can do better things with my money than throw that much away just because the slightly off black seats are in fact actually slightly off black and might have been daftly called "brown".   :D

£1000 over 5 years...as I said who cares...you can't take it with you my friend. I see the seats as brown so maybe we have different views on things.

Edited by DonjSZ5
  • Like 1

£1000 over 5 years...as I said who cares...you can't take it with you my friend. I see the seats as brown so maybe we have different views on things.

£1000 over three years... not five.

But yes thankfully we don't all do things the same way. But most people don't like to waste money. 

Also remember I took out of the equation the L&K's probable better resale value over the Elegance - let's say the L&K loses 40% as before and the Elegance 45%:

So the less generous calculation:

£28,000 Elegance with £2,500 of options = Elegance value at 45% = £14,025.  Value of options at 90% = £250 so total value of car = £14,275

That means £2,525 lost over three years...  even more sobering.

This speculation that the L&K will be worth more than the Elegance in 2-3 years.... I'm not so sure.

In the past the L&K justified the extra over the Elegance but since the FL version was released with only Brown leather the demand has fallen away.

When we ordered our Elegance we spec'd it to over L&K price. The dealer advised us that in the previous month the year before they'd sold 11 L&K Yeti's but since the Facelift they'd only sold 2. He said he could have sold 20 if only Skoda would offer another colour for the interior - even Gobi sand would do. People were also disappointed with the lack of personalisation options (colours, roof, wheels etc.) but the brown interior was the deal-breaker for most.

Fast forward a few months & I was back at the dealer last week for my Yeti's first service and the sales manager came over to say hello. He was giving me such a glowing report on my car saying how much they want to buy it back from me when it's 2.5 years old - before the warranty runs out. He said well spec'd Elegances are all the rage currently - they cannot sell L&Ks for love nor money because of the brown interior - so they're desperate to buy decent elegance spec cars for their used forecourt. 

Seeing as used car value is a supply v/s demand balancing act, there is a concern that there just won't be enough demand for used L&Ks to justify the higher used value - that said, if they're selling so few of them new, there will be a dearth of supply on the used market anyway- so perhaps that will help firm the values on the ones that do hit the classifieds in a couple of year's time....

Either way, I have absolutely no regrets of spec'ing a £29k Elegance - if I had to order another tomorrow, I'd do the same.

• Like 1

You are now juggling figures to make your argument more impresive.

My fairly full spec Elegance was £25K and no BS. The only thing I have not got that I don't need is Bang and Olufsen or whatever it is stereo system...at another £1700.

Edited by DonjSZ5

I look at it the other way around. I have added extras to an elegance and am still within my permitted spend for a company lease car, so get some rebate each month.

Then assuming this car is not the lemon my last Yeti was (so far so good) I will probably buy it at the end of the lease, getting the benefit of all the extras I can use over the next 4 years at little extra cost over a standard elegance.

ie electric seats, rear led lights etc, which are going to be hard to get secondhand, particularly as I think most people ordering an elegance won't have gone for the greenline outdoor version.

Well, thanks to Sad555 I have now seen said brown leather and was more than happy with how it looks. It was a sunny evening and the colour still looked very dark so my order for an L&K will be in next week :-)

• Like 4

In my experience, people looking for 'all the fruit' are looking for the top spec version and, if like me, skim over the rest to avoid all the mind bending variations and combos.

Ordered a L&K 170 4x4 last week.(3rd Yeti) as I felt it was pointless adding sunroof etc. to an Elegance. Brown seats of no consequence to me as I find sitting on them the best way to drive so won`t notice them and rest of interior very similar to Elegance.

• Like 1

The only problem being it does not have 'all the fruit' for the top of the range. To be so it should at least have the electric drivers seat and KESSY and maybe Metallic paint. All this equates to another £1,600 and if you considered the spare wheel another £150. Why has the 'top of the range' not got the really cheap options like heated nozzles and driver fatique sensing as std. Having now experienced the electric seat, if two people are using the vehicle this is a must have option.

It matters not to me, as I have stated before, I have no need for an oil burner and wanted the 1.2TSi engine which is not an option with the L&K.

Edited by DonjSZ5

Hmm, well, I guess our styling sensitivities must be very different. I've had a good long look at the L&K brown and realised that each and every time I got into an L&K I'd be reminded of the horrible style clash between the black and the very evident - unless you're colour blind of course - brown. So, thanks but no thanks.

For me, it's a deal-breaker and means that it's totally in the balance as to whether I even buy another Yeti. Of course the decision is a bit more complicated than that; there are various reasons that another Yeti isn't a shoo-in, mostly that the FL has not moved forward in any significant way whatsoever from the original 5 year-old design. (Yes, before anyone says, I know it's a FL and a Yeti 2, but that doesn't stop them from having offered some modest sweeteners in the FL, eg better refinement, the 130kW diesel, whatever, just something a little beyond the RVC, which AFAICS is the only tiny step forwards). But then not being able to get the regular black seats in the better value (for a high-end spec) L&K model is close to the final straw.

I didn't want the 1.2 engine - full stop, its all personal, I would have preferred the 1.4, which has been taken away from virtually all models.

The chocolate leather interior almost sent me to VW, there were 2 factors together that would have sent me to another brand, if the chocolate seats had been ' yuech ' + the lack of 1.4 together, no one single item would have put me off. 

The comment about the lack of L&K sales mentioned above came from a particular area, my local dealer has very poor sales of Octavia, his top sellers are Fabia  followed by citygo/yeti. 

The lack of engine choice across the skoda range IMHO is diabolical & almost sent me to another brand as I do too few miles to run a diesel now & only having 1.2 is not really a choice, although when looking around at similar brands  comparable to the Yeti, ALL manufacurers are the same with VERY little engine choice.

Despite all the favourable reports on here that it works well in a 'brick' shaped & a relatively heavy car, it is getting the head around a 1.2 in such a large car, nether SWMBO or I could get around.

Our recent trip to the continent and driving on the autobahn has re enforced my decision that i bought the right car.

The OP originally asked about the chocolate interior & where they could possibly see one, & if people liked it .  

Seems like they now have their answer & ready to order.

• Like 1

The OP originally asked about the chocolate interior & where they could possibly see one, & if people liked it .  

Seems like they now have their answer & ready to order.

That I did and that I am. It is still obviously brown and this won't be to everyone's taste but, in my opinion, when seen in the flesh the contrast/clash of colour is a lot less evident than I've seen in any picture or video (and believe me I looked at a lot)

As you said, it's all personal, I was worried about the brown leather, saw it and liked it. I also want an engine that give abit more punch so wouldnt have gone for anything lower than the 170. I'm also not fussed about the KESSY systemso th nly options I will likely add are the steel pedals, mud flaps and maybe metallic paint. Now my mind is made up I can't wait to get my order in!

• Like 2

A brown interior goes very well with a blue exterior.  A known fact that. So any of the Yeti blues will go very well with the L&K interior - especially that Shark Blue. Not sure if you can get that still on a Yeti?

In fact blue stitching also goes very well with brown seats:

AstonMx8.jpg

I think people need to go and look a bit at the general zeitgeist outside of the world of Škoda in terms of car interior design. Brown is very much en vogue in terms of interior colours (especially in premium brands) and even as an exterior paint colour it is growing. Just do some Google image searches on "brown leather car interiors".  You will also VERY quickly see about 50 shades of hideous brown that Škoda could have chosen for the L&K and realise "wow, we were indeed lucky they chose the inoffensive (near black) brown they did".

But then Škoda people are not known to be fashionable, hence I imagine, the totally inexplicable backlash in this thread against what is now a very fashionable interior colour and the dwindling L&K sales. Sadly premium interior car design and a brand that started with conservative Soviet Union values don't seem to mix. Alas the Škoda interior designers badly misjudged how stuck in the Soviet era their UK customers still are. 

A brown interior goes very well with a blue exterior.  A known fact that. So any of the Yeti blues will go very well with the L&K interior - especially that Shark Blue. Not sure if you can get that still on a Yeti?

In fact blue stitching also goes very well with brown seats:

AstonMx8.jpg

I think people need to go and look a bit at the general zeitgeist outside of the world of Škoda in terms of car interior design. Brown is very much en vogue in terms of interior colours (especially in premium brands) and even as an exterior paint colour it is growing. Just do some Google image searches on "brown leather car interiors".  You will also VERY quickly see about 50 shades of hideous brown that Škoda could have chosen for the L&K and realise "wow, we were indeed lucky they chose the inoffensive (near black) brown they did".

But then Škoda people are not known to be fashionable, hence I imagine, the totally inexplicable backlash in this thread against what is now a very fashionable interior colour and the dwindling L&K sales. Sadly premium interior car design and a brand that started with conservative Soviet Union values don't seem to mix. Alas the Škoda interior designers badly misjudged how stuck in the Soviet era their UK customers still are. 

When I went for a medical (for the honour of joining the RAF for serving the nation!) I was told that I was colour blind. This was a bit excessive as I consider that I am shade blind but MOD medical persons couldn't, or wouldn't differentiate. However it does mean that I don't see colours as accurately as most people. Over the years I have come to the decision that many others have the same affliction. As a result I am convinced that colour arguments are pointless as it is what the person buying perceives to be a colour he/she likes that is the point.

To summarise; if you like it, buy it! If someone else tells you that it's a horrible colour, sympathise with their inadequacy and buy it anyway. :giggle:  

Fred

• Like 1

To summarise; if you like it, buy it! If someone else tells you that it's a horrible colour, sympathise with their inadequacy and buy it anyway. :giggle:  

100% agree.  :happy:

• Like 1

How difficult would it be to offer a Black leather option as well?.

Seems to be a no brainer for Skoda UK if they want to simply tweak the profit margin up, but then

Skoda UK always seem to limit choice for UK customers compared with our European friends.

Can't understand why this policy should be applied to the UK only.

Being of 'conservative' taste 'brown' leather in any shade would be a deal breaker for me

Seems like only offering black leather would also increase sales take up of the L&K.

Not a good combination (black/brown)...when did you last see someone with a black suit wearing

brown shoes? Not keen on 'floodwater brown' trim either.

The body colour options also have an 'autumnal' bias too...I would like a more (boring to some) choice

in the subtle grey/silverish and blue area... a bit like the shades BMW offer.

But that's only my opinion and I doubt Skoda UK would be influenced by postings on here, if they

ever read them.

Edited by kibby