Does your rear seat head-rest rattle ?

rafi_arch

Not a duplicated "rattle" thread, but just discovered a new rattle source:

Trying to locate a rattle coming from behind during driving, yesterday have inspected the back interior surrounding of the Yeti and discovered a rattle while taping on the head-rest of the rear seat behind.

Taken the head-rest apart, shacked it and there is something rattling inside ! Both L & R do the same !

Asking myself either go to the dealer (warranty still pending) or dismantle it by myself in order to fix it and be lucky to find inside a small residue of plastic writing on it : "Congratulations ! You have won a 4x4 2.0 TDI Yeti !"

Are you also so lucky ?

• 2 weeks later...

On  a second thought, I'd prefer it was written "...you have won a Vauxhall (Opel) Zafira".

Jokes apart, seriously now (the Zafira is not a joke - explained later) :

Done Google to find drawing for parts of the head restraint, came across a "Fabia II" drawings from a workshop manual and gained confidence to open bottom plastic trim and get out some plastic broken "catches" (for the upholstery edges) - not really a problem.

But also from each restraint, a bigger "catch" came out which concerning the drawing there are 4 intended to clamp the "n" shaped metal frame / legs to the plastic structure.

http://skoda.workshop-manuals.com/fabia-mk2/index.php?id=660   

This finding, in conjunction with an article I came across the search, is really intriguing !

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv22/Session%208%20Written.pdf

The only vehicle (in the article) that has "good" rated rear side & center head restraint is the "zafira".

Sorry to spoil the party, just drive carefully !

I suggest check yours - maybe similar findings is case for VAG lineup cars recall.

Edited by rafi_arch

• 9 months later...

YETI IS WHOLE AGAIN !

Long story comes to end :

13/04/2014 on the 2Y/30,000 Km service I have opened a service warranty claim about broken pieces in the head restraints. I was told and also written in the service brief that two new head restraints were ordered.

30/04/2014 I was called for replacing / collecting the "replaceable parts". Surprisingly there were no head restraints waiting for me. Just the bottom plastic caps / trims that close the restraints on the bottom side. There are no head restraints replacements as a whole assembly ! Parts must be ordered separately and changed, so the wrong part was ordered. It took a few days to convince the regional service about which part is broken and have to be ordered.

29/07/2014 I was called for replacing / collecting the new "replaceable parts". Once again surprisingly, this time 2 foam cushions were sent !

After having an argue with the regional service staff, they told me they will see what can be done, but Skoda will not cover a broken part issue, and be prepared to pay for new head restraints (they will think about how to order them as whole).

Feeling I further have nothing to loose, I decided to take apart the upholstery / foam cushions from all 3 head restraints, in order to see how can I repair this. Shock horror !

D43C682AE4A6470ABB333579BB422261.jpg

All 3 head restraints have damaged plastic structures. The right one has all 4 pieces broken - so nothing to hold the metal frame to the plastic structure (2 missing pieces were forwarded to service staff at the first claim) !

After threating regional service staff about complaining at MOT as I see this as a serious safety issue, they promised to order the right 3 parts !

Note this is one serviceable part, made from 2 different pieces of metal and plastic, combined together by the manufacturer.

31/08/2014 Finally received the right parts and transfered the cushions / upholstery to the new frames.

We all learned something today. Hope also Champion (Skoda importer in Israel).

Edited by rafi_arch

...it might be useful/interesting if you could explain how you disassemble the headrest?

1. Take headrests apart from the backrests (as mentioned in owner's manual).

2. Carefully take the plastic bottom trim (1 in drawing 0104) using a plastic spatula (D.I.Y. for plaster works) - safer than a screwdriver as per instructions. Work on the 4 long tabs side.

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk2/body/body_work/seat_padding_covers/rear_seat_upholstery_and_covers/summary_of_components_of_cover_for_headrest/

3. Carefully detach the upholstery plastic anchor edges from the retaining clips on the main plastic structure (2 in drawing 0104) and take apart the upholstery together with the foam padding. Don't take apart upholstery from foam padding as it might be difficult to put it back properly !

Interesting to know if others have broken retaining clips issue !

• Like 1

1. Take headrests apart from the backrests (as mentioned in owner's manual).

2. Carefully take the plastic bottom trim (1 in drawing 0104) using a plastic spatula (D.I.Y. for plaster works) - safer than a screwdriver as per instructions. Work on the 4 long tabs side.

http://workshop-manuals.com/skoda/fabia-mk2/body/body_work/seat_padding_covers/rear_seat_upholstery_and_covers/summary_of_components_of_cover_for_headrest/

3. Carefully detach the upholstery plastic anchor edges from the retaining clips on the main plastic structure (2 in drawing 0104) and take apart the upholstery together with the foam padding. Don't take apart upholstery from foam padding as it might be difficult to put it back properly !

Interesting to know if others have broken retaining clips issue !

Thanks for that.  I'm not planning on taking mine apart unless they do start rattling but I'm sure that this will be useful to someone!  Thanks again

Cheers

Rog