Engine Advice

oxonskoda

I currently drive a 2011 Fabia 1.6 tdi CR. It's always been reliable and I've had no DPF problems, despite the fact that it's only covered just over 20k (so often used for relatively short journeys).

I've always wanted a Yeti, and have been thinking of changing to a petrol as the thought of future DMF/DPF problems does concern me.

My wife has a 1.2 tdi Fabia estate, and I must say the engine is surprisingly good for a 1.2. My questions are; is the Yeti underpowered with the 1.2 engine (I understand that this question has already been covered to some extent in previous posts but I'm still keen to hear current opinions)?

My second question concerns the 1.4 tsi engine. Is this the same 1.4 used in the Fabia vRS and the subject of much discussion!? I'd be looking for a 2010 - 2012 model.

My final question is regarding the 2.0 Diesel engine. Some posts I've read seem to suggest that this unit suffers much less in terms of DPF problems than the 1.6. Is this the case?

Many thanks!

Edited by oxonskoda

looking 2nd hand? isnt the 1.4 TSi yeti like rocking horse sh!t?

I tested a 1.2 and it was ace but i tought it'd be lacking on a fully loaded holiday run.

Went for the 2.0 Diesel as I wanted 4x4, DPF hasnt been an issue and 90% of driving is around town.

• Like 2

Yes, yes, yes! Yeti 1.2Tsi is a great engine. I had a 1.6 petrol Fabia2 for 60,000 miles before realising my desire for a Yeti and was not disappointed in the performance after the Fabia. Not had more than 4 adults on a journey but no problems with performance, fuel consumption often around 42-44 mpg. You may need to find someone with regular heavy luggage carrying to give you their opinions.

Are you expecting to continue at your current annual mileage? If so, petrol would seem the way to go.....

After a few more replies you'll be more confident, let us know what you decide.

post-56007-0-02644500-1416082133_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info. Yes, probably not going to rack up more than 8-10k per year, so it may well be that the 1.2 tsi is the one to go for. At most there would only be my wife, 3.5 year old son, and slightly overweight Labrador...so no huge loads.

Don't really need 4x4 either (unless the Daily Express is right about Arctic cyclones). However, was going to look for a set of steel wheels with winter tyres.

Thanks.

It looks like your question has been answered - the 1.2 tsi seems eminently suitable for your load and mileage. Similar to mine and the 1.2 is a great engine - even better if coupled with a DSG 7 speed box! You are also thinking along the right lines by getting winter tyres on steel wheels, remember that in every test a 2 wheel drive car with winter tyres has massive more grip and drivability than a 4 wheel drive on summer tyres.

Looks like the 1.2tsi is the best match. When oprdering I was unsure on the 1.2tsi or the 2.0 diesel. I only do about 8,000 a year, but of this up to 2,000 is towing a lightweight caravan. If not for the van I would have gone petrol.

Colin

I currently drive a 2011 Fabia 1.6 tdi CR. It's always been reliable and I've had no DPF problems, despite the fact that it's only covered just over 20k (so often used for relatively short journeys).

I've always wanted a Yeti, and have been thinking of changing to a petrol as the thought of future DMF/DPF problems does concern me.

My wife has a 1.2 tdi Fabia estate, and I must say the engine is surprisingly good for a 1.2. My questions are; is the Yeti underpowered with the 1.2 engine (I understand that this question has already been covered to some extent in previous posts but I'm still keen to hear current opinions)?

My second question concerns the 1.4 tsi engine. Is this the same 1.4 used in the Fabia vRS and the subject of much discussion!? I'd be looking for a 2010 - 2012 model.

My final question is regarding the 2.0 Diesel engine. Some posts I've read seem to suggest that this unit suffers much less in terms of DPF problems than the 1.6. Is this the case?

Many thanks!

The 1.4 engine in the vRS that you are concerned about has about 180 ps and I think has both a supercharger and a turbo. The 1.4 used in the yeti is I believe the 122 ps which only has the turbo and is by comparison much more reliable.

Having read posts about the yeti in the past as I was hoping to get my parents to buy one and the 1.2 looks to be good for most things, but due to the extra weight and large frontal area when compared to other Skoda models will most likely suffer more at higher speeds in both performance and fuel consumption especially when you have passengers on board. The obvious benefits are the 1.2 will be cheaper to buy and during winter all the petrol engines will warm up quicker than their equivelent diesels. The petrol will generally be more quiet and smoother to drive, but the diesel will have a more relaxed feeling when cruising at the higher speeds due to the way it delivers its torque. To see which is right for you the only sure way of telling is to get a decent test drive that includes everything from urban to motorway driving taking the wife and your son with you as well as the salesman so you can see how it performs when it's being used in the way you will use it. Don't be fobbed off with a 10 minute trip down the road.

Definitely go for the 1.2 driving those sort of mileages. It's much quieter and smoother than the diesels. I came from 1.9/2.0/2.2 litre 160+bhp diesels and very rarely miss the extra torque and power. I have never come across a situation yet where the small engine/big car has been made me miss the diesels. Even with 5 blokes and luggage it was still accelerating easily up inclines on motorways and A roads although the gearbox dropped a couple of ratios. However the engine is so smooth and quiet you hardly notice. Mate following in a 1.6 Astra said he struggled to keep up even dropping down the gears and everyone who has travelled in, or driven, the car is amazed it is a 1.2.

• Like 1

The 1.4tsi is a lovely engine but, as mrchrispy has already said,1.4 Yetis are very rare beasts.

I recently drove a Rapid with the 1.4tsi DSG and it was a very nice car to drive.

I think the 1.2tsi Yeti would probably suit you but in your place I'd go for the DSG as it perfectly matches the engine characteristics. 

Fred

• Like 1

I have the 1.2 TSi. Recently back from a holiday around Dartmoor and Exmoor - so plenty of hills - with four adults and a large dog (and luggage there and back) and never once felt that I could have done with a bigger engine. Follow the good advice about an extended test drive with your family - you could even take a couple of heavy suitcases with you to the dealer if you really wanted to be satisfied about how it drives under a load.

• Like 2

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I've narrowed it down to two cars and have driven both. One is a Yeti 1.4 tsi S manual, and the other a 1.2 tsi SE with 7 speed DSG. I like the DSG, but have some concerns about what an automatic would be like in the snow, has anyone got any experience of this? Also, in terms of fuel economy, how does the DSG compare with a similar manual?

Thanks again.

....I like the DSG, but have some concerns about what an automatic would be like in the snow, ....

Just go ahead and like the DSG!  In any conditions, if you think you can do better, try - remember that you do have the choice.  I can't answer with regard to the 1.2's mpg. 

I agree, as a recent convert to the advantages of DSG. It thinks and acts much quicker than I could and much smoother. Why didn't I try it years ago? :devil:

Fred

• Like 4

I get about 36/38mpg in winter and 38/40mpg in summer. Mostly shorter runs. If you are on "A" roads or motorways and can keep a steady speed then mpg does not suffer. However go above 70mph on motorways or up and down the gears on "A" roads and mpg drops. These figures are actual, the readout says about 2mpg better.

I'm not a total DSG convert mainly because I don't like the way it always tries to be in the highest gear for the best fuel economy. To me this is a pain in urban traffic. In a manual I'd just keep it in 3rd gear but the DSG is up and down like a yoyo (yes I know I can put it into tiptronic).

You have to be very, very careful if you try to pull away from a standing start quickly, say at a roundabout or junction. Try to be too careful with the throttle and nothing happens for what feels like an age so you miss your chance. Put a bit more throttle on and the wheels just spin. Personally I can't find a happy medium so I'm stuck there like a divvy, when in a manual I'd have easily been out. But that's just my opinion. Out on the open road above 40mph it's great.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I've narrowed it down to two cars and have driven both. One is a Yeti 1.4 tsi S manual, and the other a 1.2 tsi SE with 7 speed DSG. I like the DSG, but have some concerns about what an automatic would be like in the snow, has anyone got any experience of this? Also, in terms of fuel economy, how does the DSG compare with a similar manual?

Thanks again.

Auto is fine in the snow. Even better with a set of winter tyres.

• Like 1