Accurate 0-100mph times required for Octavia VRS (Petrol and Diesel)

For what it's worth heres my two pen'eth.

Seems to me you were driving like a bit of a **** and unfortunately for you, got caught. At the speeds you refer to, and presuming you were on a dual carriageway subject of a 70mph speed limit, you are looking at utilising public transport for a considerable period in the near future. Each to his own opinion on the standard of your driving……..

Now the crux seems to be that you are being prosecuted for exceeding the speed limit on one of the following basis:-

That you were subject of a following speed check, over 5/10th of a mile at a constant speed of 100mph. The Police car was using a calibrated speedo and two officers say that was the distance and speed. What you need to be able to prove is that in the available 4/10th of a mile (excluding the 5/10ths for the 100 mph constant check) what took place was not possible. As many others have indicated there are so many variables that manufacturers performance figures are largely irrelevant. You have to introduce enough doubt that a Magistrate considers the CPS have failed to prove beyond all reasonable doubt that you were, and heres the important part, exceeding the relevant speed limit for that road. Saying you were only doing 90 mph not 100 will not get you off.

That two officers following you in a Police car formed the independent opinion that you were speeding and estimated your speed at around 100mph, they may have corroborated their estimates by reference to the speedo at some point, but not over a set distance. If that's the case a journey up **** creek awaits you.

The CPS will provide advance notice of the basis and grounds of the prosecution including what they allege you have done and more importantly how the Police came to that conclusion. Once you know this you can consider your options on disputing the case or damage limitation by mitigating factors.

Either way, I suspect a a salutary lesson has been learned. 

To say I was driving like a **** when you don't know the full facts is an interesting one - Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though and if the fact that I was accelerating hard on a dual carriageway (70 limit) in clear space and perfect conditions (dry, light and no traffic) qualifies your statement, then I respect that.  However, you're probably an exception to the norm if you've never consciously chosen to accelerate hard in your VRS and exceed the NSL at any single point in time? If this genuinely is the case I truly envy your level of restraint/self-control.

I am guilty of speeding and I won't be trying to get off or dispute otherwise.  The only thing in question here is the actual reported speed.

Had I been driving something less out of the ordinary, it is likely that the police would not have bothered to take a closer look.  The VRS is a bit of a sleeper in this respect and in some instances all the better for it.

• Like 1

No one really does 0-100 times.

found this - http://www.pakistan.tv/videos-my-mk-skoda-octavia-vrs-%5B7XD1swG1Q8w%5D.cfm

Very blurry but from knowing the dash I'm guessing around14-15sec 0-100.

But as mentioned unless you were to have the actual car tested with the loading from on the day in the same road conditions it's a bit of a meaningless figure.

I suspect you're about to eat a **** sandwich.

Sounds like you were bang to rights and have pretty much accepted your fate, just trying to limit the damage. If you had been as restrained with your right foot as with your replies to some of these posts you might not be facing the magistrate.

To say I was driving like a **** when you don't know the full facts is an interesting one - Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though and if the fact that I was accelerating hard on a dual carriageway (70 limit) in clear space and perfect conditions (dry, light and no traffic) qualifies your statement, then I respect that.  However, you're probably an exception to the norm if you've never consciously chosen to accelerate hard in your VRS and exceed the NSL at any single point in time? If this genuinely is the case I truly envy your level of restraint/self-control.

I am guilty of speeding and I won't be trying to get off or dispute otherwise.  The only thing in question here is the actual reported speed.

Had I been driving something less out of the ordinary, it is likely that the police would not have bothered to take a closer look.  The VRS is a bit of a sleeper in this respect and in some instances all the better for it.

Jase,

I don't know the full details of when, where, how or conditions at the time but by your own words you were at 8500 rpm in second gear doing well over 70 mph and increasing ...... on a public road! You might be the best driver in the world in which case you would be famous and we would all say " no problem for him", however I suspect you're actually not that good or famous, just another guy in a fast car driving irresponsibly and irked by the fact that you got caught.

Anybody can drive a car fast, what most people can't do is cope when the wheel comes off and quite simply the laws of physics cannot be changed when things go wrong. At those speeds someone is going to suffer, why should you inflict that possibility on someone else who has no say or choice on how you chose to drive? How would you feel if the consequences of a complete stranger getting it wrong were to happen to a member of your family?

Plead guilty and think yourself lucky you haven't killed someone.

I do wonder why some people choose to buy a remotely fast car, after all, it can negotiate corners faster than the rest of the range and that could kill someone too. Pulling out of your driveway could also kill someone, in fact breathing can kill you. The issue with speeding is it's illegal, not immoral in itself (as the limits are subject to public debate and concensus, and I don't think mainland Europe is a bunch countries full of evil sinners). Indeed anyone can drive a car fast, the skill is knowing when you can and definitley cannot.

• Like 3

I think most people have driven the same way at some point in their life, I know I have when I was younger and had cars which (to me) were fast like a 2.8i Capri and a Focus ST.  There is a great temptation to bury your right foot and see what it feels like!  We all know its not the right way to drive and that it's dangerous and could end in tragedy.  But so could driving down the road normally, because accidents do happen.  It sounds like it will be hard to contradict what the police are giving as evidence but hope you do get away without a ban because it does sound like maybe the officers have just said 100mph to make sure you do get banned.  And hopefully it will lead you to think a little bit more the next time you have the need for speed!

I doubt if many of us driving the same car would be able to resist the temptation to boot it once in a while.

Glass houses etc...

• Like 1

The worrying part is that a conviction can be made without any calibrated and specific measurement device. I find it odd that a magistrate would accept the prosecution basis of subjective interpretation. I thought that kind of practice was an anachronism from central Europe, not Britain in the 2000s

• Like 1

I think all Police cars should have camera's whether undercover or not, or at least some sort of tacho/black box that can record vehicle speed etc, then there would be no need for this sort of guess work.

I think all Police cars should have camera's whether undercover or not, or at least some sort of tacho/black box that can record vehicle speed etc, then there would be no need for this sort of guess work.

They do(black box), that's what I said. Just depends if it's a calibrated speedo or not as to how accurate the speed reading is
  • Like 1

The fact that 2 coppers word that you were doing 100mph ish and then this can go on to have such a devastating impact on your life is the thing that irks me. I have utmost respect for the police and the job they do but could anyone really be confident that under heavy acceleration with an unknown closing speed that they could accurately gauge the speed of a car infront? We are talk the difference between 90 - 95 - 100 - 110. What training do they receive for this? Unless they are of course being lenient in the first place and you were really doing 135mph!?

The 100+ instant ban is in my mind also a little heavy handed. Which is more dangerous someone doing 101mph on the motorway at 2am or someone talking on their mobile in rush hour traffic. I know it isn't going to change and this is the law which doesn't like grey areas but I think its fair to say that condemning someone that is speeding without the knowledge of the other factors is a little harsh. Who hasn't stretched a little over the speed limit and who is to say that in those occasions it was any more or less risky than this guy.

• Like 1

Please can we do away with any thought that there is an automatic ban at 100mph

Talk about urban myths

Any ban for speeding is discretionary, with all of the circumstances taken into account, relating to the offence, and personal mitigation

• Like 2

Talk about urban myths

Any ban for speeding is discretionary, with all of the circumstances taken into account, relating to the offence, and personal mitigation

Talk about urban myths

My experience too.

Talk about urban myths

I did not know this. Comforting that there is some other factors taken into account. 

Still don't like the police guessing speeds though. Leaves it very much open to judgement.

I'm sure i have heard the police say on Road Wars that 100MPH is instant ban, but it could have been an old episode(lol) or maybe I misheard?

Or maybe they meant its 'usually' an automatic ban

Edited by Bishman

How can you "usually have an automatic ban"?

Surely it's either automatic or it isn't?

Don't rely on what you hear on the likes of 'Police Interceptors', the majority of the time they are playing up for the cameras, and don't know how the law operates once they've nicked them

• Like 1

The fact that 2 coppers word that you were doing 100mph ish and then this can go on to have such a devastating impact on your life is the thing that irks me. I have utmost respect for the police and the job they do but could anyone really be confident that under heavy acceleration with an unknown closing speed that they could accurately gauge the speed of a car infront? We are talk the difference between 90 - 95 - 100 - 110. What training do they receive for this? Unless they are of course being lenient in the first place and you were really doing 135mph!?

The 100+ instant ban is in my mind also a little heavy handed. Which is more dangerous someone doing 101mph on the motorway at 2am or someone talking on their mobile in rush hour traffic. I know it isn't going to change and this is the law which doesn't like grey areas but I think its fair to say that condemning someone that is speeding without the knowledge of the other factors is a little harsh. Who hasn't stretched a little over the speed limit and who is to say that in those occasions it was any more or less risky than this guy.

Exactly as per my post in this thread. I have (or had) upmost respect for the police until I got banned on the heresay of two officers (not even traffic trained) and the expense I went to, to disprove their word was still deemed less than their "eye witness" account! Of course in the eyes of the law all police officers are deemed honest and reliable but we know that's not always the case!

This thread is quickly becoming full of heresay, urban myths and fiction.

With 12 years of traffic policing behind me, I suggest the OP seeks proper legal advice or pleads guilty at the earliest opportunity to minimise the punishment and ignore what the Internet 'experts' say.

• Like 1

This thread is quickly becoming full of heresay, urban myths and fiction.

With 12 years of traffic policing behind me, I suggest the OP seeks proper legal advice or pleads guilty at the earliest opportunity to minimise the punishment and ignore what the Internet 'experts' say.

I think you meant hearsay, but then many police officers tend not to be too hot in the spelling department ;)

• Like 1