Intermittent Drivers Door Mirror turn indicator

All,

Im due to get my car NCT'd  (Irish MOT) soon but notice that the drivers door mirror turn indicator intermittently doesn't work.

Its a bit odd really as to why it sometimes works.

I contacted local garage to see if they have one and they do but before I buy it and have it fitted Im wondering if others had this intermittent issue.

I want to avoid the issue not being the led at all.

Is it a bulb or does that whole plastic piece need to be replaced.

post-41284-0-39924100-1421139736_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure about bulb replacement but I thought mirror indicators are not inspected: just standard indicators in front and back only should be working for NCT?

I'm not sure about the mirror indicators?  I know people are definitely failing on issues with mirror indicators.  I think once they are fitted to the car they are checked but then again it could depend on the day!

• Like 2

I stand corrected.

My old Subaru Legacy passed NCT with one mirror indicator not working. Tester told me they are not essential - only front and back must work. They must have changed the rules since then.

• Like 2

If it is like the Octavia you gave to replace the whole light unit, the LEDs are not replaceable. Any sign of water ingress? I clobbered the drivers side mirror and it split open on the leading edge and water got in.

The light unit should have the part number on it. You should be able to get a cheap replacement on eBay.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Had my car in the garage and they tried a new RH door mirror indicator LED unit and it didn't light either...

It worked intermittently but for the last few days is totally gone. All the other indicator lights work fine...

Damn...

There goes another €500 to fix an electrical problem.

Any reason why the computer doesn't report any fault... Or why the diagnostics doesn't show it.

That's 2 electrical issues I have now.

1 - Electric Heated / demister rear window not working and now the indicator in the drivers door not working.

The dealers are talking 4-5 hours diagnostics for each while they trace down each wire...

Surely there is a better option than that...

Would an Auto Electrician be any help ?

A good auto electrician should scan the car but also potentially test voltages etc and eliminate things to find out which wire is the issue. "Trace each wire" sounds like ruling everything in and potentially cashing in on you for the priviledge - 500 euros???!!!

My guess is two unrelated issues, the first being due to a broken connection in the rear window element (which can usually be fixed with special paint) and the second a loose wire to the mirror from the door controller. The wires could easily be checked first for voltage, then if necessary for breaks/dodgy connections.

Also a VCDS scan should show something on these faults - have you actually seen a clear scan? If I am right with the cause, VCDS should certainly show up on the intermittent mirror indicator (as it keeps a record of faults as they occur) but maybe if its a loose but not a broken wire and (this is a guess) the dealer software doesn't record, then perhaps it would only reveal a fault if it was actually occurring at time of the scan.

Adam

I don't know my luck.

My NCT (irish MOT) was on today so I went out to clean out the car and low and behold the door mirror indicator was working.

Passed the test so not in such a panic now.

Don't know what solved it but weird when it didn't work at the garage yesterday.

The guy did mention that the lock on the connector wasn't properly engaged but ensured that he engaged it properly and still didn't work.

Is there any chance that the LEDs would not work until the car had key removed from ignition ???

If it's anything like the under-door puddle lights, then yes: you have to lock/unlock the car before it will send voltage to the bulb. That's what I found when I was swapping the incandescent bulbs for LEDs anyway. Which I thought was strange at the time.

If it's anything like the under-door puddle lights, then yes: you have to lock/unlock the car before it will send voltage to the bulb. That's what I found when I was swapping the incandescent bulbs for LEDs anyway. Which I thought was strange at the time.

I think you are right.

As the guy in the garage probably didn't try lock / unlock he didn't think it worked.

Luck for me though as I wasn't charged for the work and would have been charged for a new bulb plus labour if the replacement one had been seen to work.

Mechanic should have known this...

• 1 month later...

You'd have burnt through a lot of money in diagnostics. Let us know how you get on.

Havent been on here in a while. But the indicator has been working perfectly since the day of my test.

Wonder if its a water issue somewhere or even cold (its been dry here mostly)

Im happy its OK but should I look out for water ingress anywhere ?

Where are the obvious water ingress points especially ones near electrical stuff.

Had water issue in wifes Citroen Grand Picasso where flow from windscreen blocked (known issue) and water overflowed into heater controller shorting it out.

Any such things in Superb...