Gear lever button

Afternoon all,

I'm sure this has been answered somewhere on the forum so please forgive for a duplicate post. 

My gear lever selector button has worked its way loose, it's now becoming a struggling to engage park, is there a work around for this or must it be replaced? If so could anyone advice best place to get the parts/repairs I'm in the West Midlands area, also a complete novice with car repairs!!

Thanks in advance. 

If anyone can point me in the direction of where to get a replacement on-line I'd be grateful. Struggling to find anything! 

If anyone can point me in the direction of where to get a replacement on-line I'd be grateful. Struggling to find anything! 

Dealership part.  There are several dealers who sell parts via Ebay; I am sure they would get one for you.  You won't find it in a "click and buy" catalogue though.

Cheers jimbof. Contacted Skoda, they want £344 (thereabouts) just for the part!! surely there is some sort of work around for this? Or after market replacement maybe? 

This may help:

http://www.auto-parts.spb.ru/cat/au/au.mycat?SelPg&t=SRbxbYsW8W3EFvFtC0yZVHhXqEsaT_m_8dbxbWbJcV1JFvMSqTL5p0kE_TdJNvEFfFojFwZbzEVJFKWgWkSPxVMM6wXd06xB6HLfj7QnfPbYGJZXioPYa/1QoV1FEP3WwYHI/Y386ViLjSMHI738YM512LTOYImIWBMjIDMyBfi9SMwA/q301PDtcu5wKXrUa4rZJUV/LQ1J

You may need to strip it down to see what has actually broken.

By the sounds of the price they quoted they have quoted for the whole thing to be replaced.

Looks like separate parts are available.

Phil

Cheers Phil, Must be a quote for the whole unit at that price. 

I'm concerned about stripping it down in case re-assembling becomes a problem! 

I've located one from a breaker yard, £45. Does anybody know if it can be replaced with a used one? the reason i ask is that i've seen it mentioned about a red clip been removed? 

Apologies for all the questions. 

Kev

I just phoned TPS.  The Edition 100 one is indeed stupid money (they quoted £270+VAT)

However, there is a plain dark grey one (onyx?) with a chrome button which is "only" £70 + VAT - so if you don't mind it not being the same colour you can get a "bargain".

And if you wanted to do some butchery - you could perhaps pop the Edition 100 cap off your old one and glue it on the new one (if you were feeling brave).  My cap fell off mine and I had to glue it back!  Some photos I took might help: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/325253-tiptronic-lever-self-destruction/?hl=%2Btiptronic+%2Bbutton

My understanding is that to remove it from the shaft you have to pull the button out.  If you then let go of the button it falls into the handle and is difficult (impossible?) to get out again as the handle is moulded over the button mechanism.  New knobs come with the button secured via a clip which you remove once you have slotted the gearstick into place.

Bear in mind they all fail eventually I believe as the force is exerted in the wrong direction and breaks the plastic.  So a second hand one at £45 might not be such a bargain.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply jimbof, some good advice there.

I reckon the plain dark grey one is the way to go, like you say i can always stick on the Edition 100 cap after to try to restore originality as much (and as cheaply) as possible.  

Should be something i could 'have a go at myself' (he says...)

Cheers chaps, much appreciated. 

Thinking about it, I now reckon this is in fact why my Edition 100 cap fell off. I reckon the garage swapped my cap onto a cheaper replacement, and managed to stretch the clips in the process.

If you get a new knob and want to keep it working then you want to get in the habit of pressing the button in at the rear of the button. The rear is inline with the spring action, whereas the front isn't. Using the front of the button is what causes it to break eventually. It is, unfortunately, a bit of Muppet design.

Cheers Jimbof, I'm currently contesting with the garage i got the car from to see if they'll replace it, if not it'll be a Comfort model lever and i'll try and stick the '100' trim on. Regarding pressing the button, does the left serve any purpose? or just decorative? When you say push at the rear are you meaning the side nearest the centre console? I tried wedging it in with a match yesterday, only to find out the button needs to be released in order to remove the keys from the ignition........happy days......

Had my replacement lever fitted today, went for the 'cheaper' option costing £76, as opposed to £344 + for some trim that can be swapped over after. It's annoying and pretty disgusting that they can demand these prices. But, all sorted now. So happy with that.  :happy: . Thanks for all your advice, been a massive help and saved me a few pennies!! Cheers. 

I made this pic which shows the mechanism for the button and where to push if you want to keep it in one piece.  You can see if you push towards the back of the button all the force is going into the plunger mechanism, whereas if you press at the front simple physics will show that a large portion of force is going into trying to twist the button, which eventually breaks it:

Keep Your Button Working! :)

Glad you got sorted :)

• Like 3
  • Love it! 1