Dash Brightness switch

The headlight adjuster adjusts the beam of your headlights, settings depending on how many passengers / luggage / boot stuff you have in the vehicle.

I may be missing something, but if you swap the switch, the wiring is still going to the headlights, yes?

I'm right in thinking Nikonite, that your Octavia is the most basic model?

I'm not sure whether the wiring would even be there, but I'm surprised they skimped on such a basic feature.

I never knew the basic MkII Octavia missed out on the dimmer switch.

Are you saying that you don't have this next to the headlight switch?

What do you have instead, a black plastic blanking plate?

Headlight%20Adjustment_zpsbcup3yb1.jpg

Even models without the manual headlight leveling (those with xenon headlights fitted) get the dash illumination control...

IMG_20150207_155646_zps8xwqo4d8.jpg

Yes it is the most basic, come with no fuel computer, 15" steel wheels, no locking fuel cap, no rear electric windows, no alarm, no arm rest, basic stream, no central locking, no dash brightness no map lights, and no feel good factor.

Now has cruise, central locking, maxidot with fuel computer, 17" alloys, and i am working on the rest :D

I bought it on a whim really from a top spec Volvo sport but didn't know anything about Skoda at the time. In retrospect i would have gone for the Elegance but I am enjoying the upgrade process too. I missed tinkering with cars.

If anyone has any cause to remove their dimmer switch a picture of the wiring would be great so I could check it against mine.

Yes it is the most basic, come with no fuel computer, 15" steel wheels, no locking fuel cap, no rear electric windows, no alarm, no arm rest, basic stream, no central locking, no dash brightness no map lights, and no feel good factor.

Brilliant  :D

I was going to say that I'd be risking a fiver on a new switch and hoping it is plug and play.

But £25!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/04-13-SKODA-OCTAVIA-MK2-HEADLIGHT-LEVELLER-DASH-DIM-SWITCH-FREE-NEXT-DAY-/171260190821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Model%3AOctavia&hash=item27dfe72065

Any scrap dealers close to you?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm working on footwell lighting now, 12-24v LED's taken from a TV. Perfect length within mm for the underside of the dash. As they are from an LED Tv the voltage is variable for backlight brightness. Just trying to work out the wiring which I think I have sorted. Took a repair wire from the chopped off connector that came off my new clocks. May have to upgrade my CECM but not sure yet as vcds shows it as an option. A bit ghetto I know but i'm running out of things to mess about with. No idea if it will work. 

EDIT...scratch that they don't light at lower voltages lol, the dimming won't work!

post-128022-0-91873100-1429892459_thumb.jpg

Ooh, instead of those strip things why don't you go for a kit which wires properly into the fusebox and illuminates the front AND back? Think it's about £20 on ebay, sure someone on here will come along with a linky... :)

Ooh, instead of those strip things why don't you go for a kit which wires properly into the fusebox and illuminates the front AND back? Think it's about £20 on ebay, sure someone on here will come along with a linky... :)

I had the strips and nothing to do with them, no other reason really :)

Try bold-sport.com if you do want a proper kit. They have worked well for me and not too dear. I reckon you can get 20 quid for that Stream to help fund it (if you look on ebay at prices of others).

I hate selling stuff on ebay, I'll probably just put it back in the car if I ever sell it. That said it's asking for a code so probably not worth paying to get it. Guess it was swapped at some point as I thought the ecu saved the code.

Oh I read i took a few seconds, either way the car will likely go to my daughter in a few years so she will likely chav it up with some bling jewel encrusted stereo in pink and 30" speakers in the doors. 

• Like 1