Speed sensor location

Hello! New to this site, hope I'm in the right place.. :)

I have a Skoda Fabia 2000 (6Y2) with engine code ATZ, and the speedometer isn't working. This is the error code;

​16885 - Vehicle Speed Sensor

P0501 - 35-00 - Implausible signal

So my first thought was to check the speed sensor, which is supposed to be located on the gearbox, but I can't for the life of me find WHERE.. No pictures on the net matches my car, and I have looked everywhere I can think of. Can someone help please? :)

It's tucked away at the back of the gearbox above the diff.

So look where the two drive shafts meet on the Gesrbox, and there's a little plug on top :)

I'll take a closer look around there then, thanks! :) It's frustrating to have a car I can't drive.. :D

My speedo hasn't worked since December, just use your phone and take the car for a drive and find out what revs you're doing at the main speeds ... Easy. Then you won't be speeding until you get this problem fixed. Don't not drive the car because of speedo.

It's not even an mot requirement.

It's illegal to drive without a permanently mounted speedometer here. Anyways, I don't need the car that badly right now, so I'll just get it fixed. :)

It's illegal to drive without a permanently mounted speedometer here. Anyways, I don't need the car that badly right now, so I'll just get it fixed. :)

That should be true across Europe!

Most likely a wiring problem then. Pin 1 - black wire - should have 12V when ignition is on. Pin 3 - brown/white wire - should go to earth/0V/chassis/battery negative. Pin 2 - white/blue wire should end up at pin 6 of a 32-way connector at the clocks. 

Most likely a wiring problem then. Pin 1 - black wire - should have 12V when ignition is on. Pin 3 - brown/white wire - should go to earth/0V/chassis/battery negative. Pin 2 - white/blue wire should end up at pin 6 of a 32-way connector at the clocks. 

Are you 100% sure it should go straight to the clocks and not thru some other circuitry? The wire colorin doesn't quite seem to match, it's a different.. tint I guess, on the cable. Safe to just try and connect it with a straight wire or do I risk frying something?

No other circuitry that I can see, but there are two connectors in between the 3-pin one on the sender and the 32-pin one at the clocks. At the first, ten-pin connector, it goes in and out as the same size and colour(s).The second intermediate connection is an 11-pin one on the bulkhead separating engine bay from passenger compartment, near the offside wiper pivot. Here it changes down a size, from 0.5mm sq in the engine bay, to 0.35mm sq in the cabin, but still white/blue. It's probably this size change that's making it seem different? Maybe slightly different shades of white and blue in the different wire gauges?

Will pop up a snapshot in a bit.

Speedometer%20sender.png

I wired the sensor straight to the cluster, now it's working! So somewhere there's a broken wire, probably where it's the hardest to get to it, as usual. ;) Thank you all for your help. :)

• Like 1

I wired the sensor straight to the cluster, now it's working! So somewhere there's a broken wire, probably where it's the hardest to get to it, as usual. ;) Thank you all for your help. :)

Well done :)

• 1 year later...

Hi I got a 1.2 fabia 2003....my speedometer gets stuck when doing more the 50 mph. Checked the sensor and its quite wobbly. I think they could damaged it when they were doing my clutch few months ago.My local garage is having problems finding the part. Any idea where can i buy a new one or what is the part number???Maybe i can buy it in Europe. thanks

Hi I got a 1.2 fabia 2003....my speedometer gets stuck when doing more the 50 mph. Checked the sensor and its quite wobbly. I think they could damaged it when they were doing my clutch few months ago.My local garage is having problems finding the part. Any idea where can i buy a new one or what is the part number???Maybe i can buy it in Europe. thanks

Does the car have ABS?

Just found something that suggests that if it has, and was built after Nov 2002, the thing in the diff is a dummy sensor, and the speedo gets its info from the ABS sensors.

Sorry if this info is too late, hopefully not.

• Like 1