Power steering readings. Do you seeanything strange?

dm222

Well I had another problem, not with the car  :sun:,  and that has been taking my whole time so I didn't go any further on this.

Anyway 3 things.

- I thought that something I was doing was affecting the steering, it was all coincidence, didn't even open the hood this week and steering got light and heavier as before.

- Found another two users reporting the same problem in a portuguese forum but neither of them found answers.

1. VW Polo 6R, the problem started after a pump change, the steering was lighter for 2 weeks and progressibly became heavier, also sometimes is lighter when cold and gets heavier after driving for a while. Don't know how and if he solved it because the thread has 2 years and I sent a PM but he didn't answer yet.

2. Seat Ibiza 6J, steering sometimes is heavier without errors. the problem started after a battery change, he installed a bigger battery than the original.

Edited by dm222

• 2 weeks later...

Just to conclude this post I gived up.

The last thing I did was to buy a new bracket just to realize that it's bent as well, so it's by design. There are two tipes of brackets 6Q0423845D that is in a straight line and 6R0423156 that is bent, just looked at pictures of the two tipes and pumps instaled with the last one are always bent and with the first one are in a straight line.

Thank you all for you help, shame I was not able to solve the problem but I have to move on. :)

• 1 month later...

I'm very sorry about spamming this again, but meanwhile, the person with the VW Polo I mentioned above answered to the PM I sent and I have reasons to believe this issue is because it was installed a new pump instead of a used one, he says he also fitted a new pump started to go normal after 10.000KMs and now it's normal, he thinks it needed mileage :dull: , his symptoms were exactly like mine. Absolutly all of it!!

I was thinking of trying a new pump, a used unit from uk ebay because parts are a lot cheaper there, so I bought one, but the item arrived this way, apparently it was damaged during the shipping, it's ok to install it like this?

This is what they look like inside. Not sure if that dent might catch on the armature.

rsz_pump0065.jpg

index.jpg

From the looks of it I think  the dents, it has many, the biggest two at 20s and another at 33s, may catch that :( and if it catches it will probably blow a fuse or something worse, probably not a good idea to install it.

Must say that I can't understand why a brand-new pump would need miles putting on it to work properly. That can't be right.

Must say that I can't understand why a brand-new pump would need miles putting on it to work properly. That can't be right.

The only way I can see it, it's maybe because a manufacture problem, whatever he had it's the same thing I have, and he didn't changed anything, no new tyres, no battery, nothing.

Edited by dm222

So there was air trapped somewhere in the system. Did you follow the link I originally sent you? The reason you shouldn't carry out the procedure with engine running is because the steering pump is electric motor driven. You can knacker the pump if it itself has air trapped within its hydraulic parts

So today I went to a self service garage...

Same oil since december and still has air in it!

It was bleeded twice since, and again today, so the thirth time in video. I don't have leaks... at least visible and the oil level doesnt drop. Also it makes a noise 10s, 20s etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN_KjOriQrw

The inner tie rod doesn't look good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQcy1mcbSN8

I'm looking for a used rack right now.

Sorry about this big topic, I hope someone could learn something from it, I know I did, and still learning :)

Edited by dm222

Yeah that sounds like an inner tie rod joint. Have you jacked the front up and checked for play at the road wheel?

Yeah that sounds like an inner tie rod joint. Have you jacked the front up and checked for play at the road wheel?

Yes I raised the front and checked that, there is no play, it's strange, only when using the steering wheel.

Also the wheels repond immediatly when I move the steering wheel, Even if I move 1mm or 2mm the wheels respond so there is no play at all, but makes that noise

Edited by dm222

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I just want to give some long term update not because I'm still trying to fix this but if someone has the same problem.

Steering is still a little heavy but... I think it's a bit better than it was.

In the first months I was always replacing the oil, I stopped this since September because I had a thought that it could be related to the oil thickness (as it is thicker on low temperatures) and maybe along the time as it gets thicker it would get better. So the oil is 9 months now and I'm feeling an sligth improvement.

The pump has now 20.000kms and two years so I'm convinced that the cause of the previous two pumps burning consecutably with the same problem in two months is somehow fixed so I'm a bit less worried.

The oil has 9 months and 6.500kms.

Will give updates in a few months if something changes.

• 7 months later...

Hi again,

Update: problem is solved, the steering has been what I consider normal for more than a month now.

The pump has now 25.000kms and almost 3 years, the oil has 12.000kms and 1.5 years.

I don't know if the pump needed to be used to get normal or because the oil got thicker as it aged, but I'm happy it's solved. What I know is that it was very gradual.

I also did some things I din't post here after, changed all the wiring two years ago, see pics, and all shock absorbers, strut bearings and strut mounts 6 months ago (this was not because of this problem).

So I'm confident, everything is as it should and it is to last without problems on this regard.

https://s29.postimg.org/lokox1kfr/IMG_20160302_132558_3.jpg

https://s15.postimg.org/aim0lxu0b/IMG_20160304_183955_3.jpg

Thanks everyone for the help, especially to @Wino, I didn't acomplish to solve things at the time because all it needed was time, but adressed some things that needed to be adressed, otherwise the pump would fail again or cause other problems, I am sure of that, and also learned a lot! I do all the maintenance myselft now!

Edited by dm222
  • Like 1