Felicia 1.4-16v engine transplant

TeflonTom

100_0581-1.jpg

100_0682.jpg

afh 1.4 16v polo head (top)

avy 1.6 gti polo head (bottom)

there are vast similarities between them, the manifolds will interchange between them too... only real differences to note are the slightly different oil return slots and different shape water slots

1.6 -16v upgrade, day 4

100_0687.jpg

gave it a quick lick of black hammerite, not for cosmetic reasons, but mainly to prevent it going any rustier, it's not a work of art tbh but at least it's covered up now

Edited by TeflonTom

1.6 -16v upgrade, day 4 :rofl:

if you look at the pics i was very careful to not get any paint on any mating surfaces, the most important one in the above pic is the bolt hole in the centre of the block where the ignition knock sensor goes

100_0688.jpg

i had a ported cylinder head that i was going to use, but i sold it to somebody and got this in exchange...

100_0691.jpg

cleaned up with shaft mounted wire wheels to take the worse of it off, then started stripping it all down, it's important to ensure that components are refitted to thier original positions on reassembly. this head is pretty mucky inside, not seen an oil change in a while i'd say

Edited by TeflonTom

100_0693.jpg

although there's not much wrong with this head i'm going to reseat the valves and fit new seals, it's was quite tricky to remove the collets from the valve steams because of the sludged oil inside.

100_0695.jpg

the head is now fully stripped, this are very good quality castings and they don't suffer from corrosion or porosity like some cylinder heads do, i've taken the head to be dropped in a tank of cresylic acid overnight to burn the oil out of it, and then it will be skimmed ready for the valves to be lapped in

100_0696.jpg

god bless domino's pizza, as i said before, make sure they all go back in the same place afterwards,

100_0697.jpg

took the valves with me to the machine shop, and they let me use thier valve refacing machine for a 5 minuites to re-grind the valves, most vw engines have 45 degree valve seats, vw say that you cannot rework these valves but that is utter rubbish...

that's it for the day

Edited by TeflonTom

just as a note for anybody that wants to try this conversion, you cannot use a 1.6 aee engine block, there is an extra hole on the timing belt end that only the 16v engines have which is used for the timing belt idler.

waterpumpfitted.jpg

100_0676.jpg

top 1.6 aee block 8v

bottom 1.6 avy block 16v

yes the afh 16v has a wider timing belt too (25mm), and the stud that holds the idler is 8mm on the afh engine, and 10mm on the avy engine... i will cover that bit when i get to it

1.6 -16v upgrade, day 5 :no:

progress has been slow today, i got called away to do something else

100_0700.jpg

cylinder head back from being chemically cleaned, i've lapped in the valves, new seals fitted and put valves back in

100_0702.jpg

spent a bit of time preparing the block, cleaned piston crowns, refitted the crankcase breather box(oil seperator), cleaned off all traces of old gasket from deck

100_0704.jpg

100_0705.jpg

cylinder head is now completely rebuilt to original spec, need to find some new exhaust manifold studs for it... awaiting new cylinder head gasket which should be here in the morning.... notice i've put a hammer handle under the face... never put a machined cylinder head face down or it may damage the surface.....

like i said, not much progress made today

1.6 -16v upgrade, day 6 :'(

100_0706.jpg

i've been comparing the intake manifold from the afh and avy engines and they are very similar, it will fit the afh head, and the throttle body goes straight on too but there is no bracket for the accelerator cable....

100_0715.jpg

so i hacked a bracket off a scrap manifold and welded it onto the gti manifold...

the gti avy manifold is a much better design than the afh one

100_0725.jpg

100_0727.jpg

i tried the afh head gasket on the block but the oil drainback slots are a different shape so it might cause problems, so i opted to use the avy cylinder head gasket (avy gasket in pics above)

100_0729.jpg

top, polo gti (avy) cylinder head bolts. M9x1.25x97

bottom, polo 1.0 (aer) cylinder head bolts M9x1.25x140

it is necessary to use the cylinder head bolts from the 1.0 polo engine with aer engine code because the polo gti ones are too short and dont even poke through the cylinder head.!!

100_0730.jpg

polo 1.0 (aer) cylinder head bolt

Edited by TeflonTom

100_0731.jpg

cylinder head is now on at long last, i've had real trouble getting hold of a gasket... not because they are unavailable, they just ordered the wrong one :giggle:

going to make a plate like this, the idea is to use the original oe casting and bolt this on top along with a spacer instead of using the other custom engine mounting i made previously in this thread

plate.jpg

thermostat housing from 1.6 aee felicia engine is on with all new o-rings etc fitted, i've accidently smashed a hole in the intake manifold too, i was trying to drill out a broken off fuel rail mounting bolt and it pressed the wrong lever on the milling machine and it moved!!!! the chuck hit it and it's broken there will be a fix for it soon... or a replacement intake manifold from a polo gti

ok there's one sight issue that needs solving regarding the timing belt idler... to use the afh head i need to use the timing belt from the afh engine also, the afh timing belt and idler are 25mm wide, the mounting hole in the block is 10mm.... the hole in the centre of the timing belt idler from the afh engine is 8mm and it's made of some super silly strength nitrided steel which CANNOT be re-drilled to 10mm....

ok, the timing belt idler from the avy engine has a 10mm hole through the centre to match the engine block, but the roller is only 22mm wide for the narrower dual belt setup that they have so i can't use this with the afh belt...

so to cut a long story short i need to figure out a way of fitting the idler from the afh engine on, i've sorted out a pretty unorthodox solution but i can't get access to a decent lathe till tomorrow afternoon..

100_0737.jpg

100_0738.jpg

ok, sooner than i thought, i've done it

turned down a piece of stainless steel rod, M10x1.5 thread at one end which is 20mm long to go in the engine block, then 8mm section which is 65mm long with the end 25mm of it threaded to M8x1.25.. enough room to get a washer nut then locknut on there

wey hey :giggle:

KCD.jpg

^^ jimbo from jkm at the helm

KCD-1.gif

ok, forget the whole 1.6 upgrade thing for a bit, this is a power graph of the standard 1.4-16v AFH engine which gives me a good reference to work to for before and after the 1.6 upgrade

Edited by TeflonTom

i've made a little bit more progress today, but i'm still waiting for the water pump to arrive at the moment....

i had a thought regarding the engine mounting plate, i purchased an offcut of 12mm mild steel plate, which is 100mm X 200mm.. i've been thinking that rather than getting a one off laser cut i may as well make a prototype by hand using a hacksaw and files etc..

plate02.jpg

this is what the basic dimensions for the holes are overlayed onto my piece of material looks like, i'm not going to bother with wavey lines etc, i'm just going to make 3 cuts with a hacksaw and se how it turns out... if it's any good i'll get a couple of them properly done so i've got a spare and if anybody else needs one they can have it :thumbup:

i'll give it a shot in the morning

100_0674.jpg

100_0742.jpg

top: polo gti (avy) timing belt setup

bottom polo 16v (afh) timing belt setup

before anybody says it i've only stuck the pencil in there to show the routing of the belt, the new water pump should be here on monday :thumbup:

oh and new spark plugs are in, new coolant sensor is in... notice i've completely removed the oil cooler for now, taken the filter tube out the front of the block and put in the shorter one out of an aee engine so i can use the oil filter that goes hard against the block..

Edited by TeflonTom

quick update, sorry folks i've been really busy lately...

did a quick trial fitting of the afh engine mounting casting, and it's a no go... it fouls on the main engine bearer so i'm going to have to use another one of my custom made mountings on it...

having problems fitting the exhaust manifold too becuase the downpipe only has about 2mm clearance on the alloy sump, i'm going to try a steel sump off an aee lump as they are a slightly different shape :smirk:

been doing a bit of tinkering today... i've aquired a new intake manifold to replace the one that i broke, did a bit of digging around and it revealed that there is a 6n polo in german spec only (were never available in the uk) with ajv engine code which uses the same intake manifold as the polo gti, but it also uses a cable operated throttle body (gti is drive-by-wire)... basically the manifold is the same as the ajv one, but the holes are not drilled for the throttle cable bracket on the gti avy manifold. the part number for the bracket is 036129785E and it was £4 from the dealer..

100_0744.jpg

holes drilled and tapped for throttle cable bracket, shown with throttle body from 1.4-16v afh engine in place

100_0745.jpg

plenty of room, nicely designed manifold fits perfectly around the oil seperator box on the back of the engine block

Edited by TeflonTom