Talex/Novus Database Discussion

VRStu

just wondering if anyone using novus database is having problems with their unit switching off whilst in use? i cannot comment as i rarely use/update my lite on the novus database but have been asked if i or anyone else knows of any problems or users experiencing any problems with it?

• Replies 383
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Novus rider, and have never had a proplem with it swiching off.

Specific to the novus database, the unit warns for most of the fixed camara's, but the updating does leve gaps. There's a fixed 'temporay' camara at the Welsh end of the M56 which has not been added in the six months it's been there; and a lot of the Cheshire roads have been droped from 60 to 50. Again any warning reger to the older 60 limit.

I'm awre that GPSworld has a link for updates; but how do I get info to the Novus database; and would they use it?

you could try the links on the first page of this thread http://briskoda.net/ice-security-insurance/talex-novus-database-discussion/119521/#post1390494 and let them know where the locations are and they will have to send their spotter out that way to verify it, shouldnt take more than a week and if its legit etc you can then see how quick they are to update it.:thumbup:

Over the last few months I have tried numerous GPS Speed camera detectors.

I have to say, apart from the concern over the long term viability of Telex vis a vis the Novus/Talex problems, then the Talex unit and database seem by far the best.

I also tried the Microfuzion, the AlerteGPS and one other whose name escapes me.

The Talex seems to give the most frequent updates, and I like the fact it ignores Speed cameras on the other side of the road.

The AlerteGPS is to quiet, the Microfuzion is a pain to update (serial cable).

you could try the links on the first page of this thread http://briskoda.net/ice-security-insurance/talex-novus-database-discussion/119521/#post1390494 and let them know where the locations are and they will have to send their spotter out that way to verify it, shouldnt take more than a week and if its legit etc you can then see how quick they are to update it.:thumbup:

I'm happy to forward the info; but wondered what level of detail will they reqiure.

Will a simple bit of discriptive text do; or do they want exact coordiantes?

I use the Novus rider, and have never had a proplem with it swiching off.

Specific to the novus database, the unit warns for most of the fixed camara's, but the updating does leve gaps. There's a fixed 'temporay' camara at the Welsh end of the M56 which has not been added in the six months it's been there; and a lot of the Cheshire roads have been droped from 60 to 50. Again any warning reger to the older 60 limit.

I'm awre that GPSworld has a link for updates; but how do I get info to the Novus database; and would they use it?

I reported the camera on the M56 to Novus in January and a false alert on the M6 north bound just before Fort Dunlop, I got a reply thanking me saying they would pass on to the data base team but I went passed both in October, I think and neither had been updated. As for the 50 mph changes that also bugs me, Backford being the obvious one. They picked up the dangerous junction change in the summer at Backford so why not speed change. I wonder if they concentrate on the south half of the country more as that's where most people live. The north west does seem to get missed out some what.

The Backford change needs to be picked up as mobile sites are in use there. One in the in the old garage site by the Mollington turning; the other is set up under the M56 overbridge.

It is well signed , but an 'out of area' driver may be caught out.

I'm happy to forward the info; but wondered what level of detail will they reqiure.

Will a simple bit of discriptive text do; or do they want exact coordiantes?

what i usually do is send in the gps co ordinates along with a description and speed limit, talex likes you to mark it on streetmap or multimap and then send them the page link.

Going northbound through Blackwell Tunnel last night and my Talex announced:

"Safety Camera Protection Zone"

... this is a new one isn't it, not heard it before?

I've had:

"You are in an Average Speed Detection Area"

"Speed/Red light Camera ahead ......"

"Possible Mobile ..."

... but what does this one mean? It doesn't give a speed limit or any other warning, are there cameras there or not? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Edited by PhilS

yes blackwell has cameras in it, but as gps doesnt work underground its giving you a warning that the tunnel is covered with speed cameras but has to use the correct term safety camera protection zone. either this one or the limewall one has a couple of spec cameras inside it, but from what im gathering from doing a google on it is there is an average speed (spec) cameras installed each end of the tunnel (30 northbound and 40 southbound), but another site is saying its the new digital camera near the end of each tunnel. The last site i looked at said it was covered by a new generation speed camera system which isnt home office approved yet.

update: http://www.lscp.org.uk/downloads/LSCP_INSIGHT_newsletter_spring_2008.pdf

according to the above link from the horses mouth (london scameraship) it looks like specs set up on northbound only.

If i remember i will ask them on monday to confirm, but i know the warning you have mentioned is used on all entrances to the wiltshire section of the m4 as its covered by wiltshire scameraship mobile unit and its basically a warning meaning the area you going into is a speed trap area.

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up at this stage....

Went to update my Talex this am prior to a trip away.

Message 'Subscription has expired'

That's drivel since I bought a new 3 year sub on 19/8/2008

2 emails to Talex with email attachments confirming purchase dates - no response - just rang 0845 2741110 and spoke to a helpful lady. 'We'll pass on your problem to the appropriate department'

LOL! We're not dealing with Goldman Sachs here, but with a company of what, 8-9 people?

Let's see how long it takes - eh?

17.26 UPDATE:

Several calls from various folk at Talex during course of afternoon, all very supportive and keen to help.

No resolution yet, despite uninstalling and re-installing Updater and repeatedly going through all the steps suggested by Talex - I'm waiting for.them to get back to me now....

Currently on 8122

Edited by Merlinman

Good they should be able to give you good service as they are all sorted there these days and i know they look over at this thread from time to time so no doubt a good service will get a good mention here :thumbup:

Latest firmware is up and running too.

Hmmm....

Well I don't know what happened there - just about to parcel up my New Talex to return for exchange, thought I'll just give it one more go ......Lo & behold - success!

Must be the Christmas Fairy?

Unit has updated successfully to 8124

I suspect someone 'touched' something at Talex HQ :)

Anyhow I did get really attentive service - so big thanks to Talex!! :thumbup:

Hi guys. I'm new to this forum but have read this thread from front to back with interest. I realise I will be slightly OT but have a Talex question that maybe the techies you can answer. I used to have a full fat Talex that I was very, very happy with but I wanted a satnav too. I bought a Navigon TS6000 satnav in June 07 specifically because TALEX provided Navigon with the speed camera and other related POI info. Embedded Technology provided a link on their website to a monthly download file to update the TS6000's database (it's still there at www.embeddedtechnology.co.uk/downloads/html). For a couple of months all was fine until the Embedded Technology update file, itself, was not updated. I made enquiries but was told that due to Talex's problem ET would not be producing any more update files. It's been stuck at Jul 2007 ever since. My question is, is there any way that I can update my TS6000 with the latest Talex database? Naturally, I'm quite happy to pay a subscription. Or is their anyone I could speak to?

CheeRS

as far as im aware all sat nav versions were stopped last year, the only thing they have at the moment is the actual devices on their site, however i wouldnt be suprised if a sat nav version did come back out soon.

On to another subject, talex update should be available shortly as i questioned what would happen this week due to the way the xmas has fallen!!

Just a further update:

Talex now updated to 8125 successfully - so I'm a very happy bunny :thumbup:

Talex also kindly extended my subs by 4 months to compensate for the hassle I'd had :)