Is there an aux connection on Sat Nav DX??

GBDave

Just finally picked up a 55 Superb Elegance 130tdi yesterday after selling my 03 Octy VRS estate about a month ago!! (There aint to many about is there!!)

I'm now trying to get my head around the settings on the sat nav head unit.

Through the menu settings there seems to be an AUX setting which is set to OFF.

Does this mean that there is a connection on the back of the unit that I could plug into with a suitable lead to listen to my Ipod??

I know you can get a lead to replace your CD changer connection but I'd like to retain that if I can?

Anyone know please??

Edited by GBDave

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok thanks Dude :)

But I've since been browsing around the forum and it looks like you can't easily connect to it with an Ipod.

Best option I believe I've found so far seems to be this iPod CD changer adapter, VW iPod, Music Link, xCarLink which looks promising as it seems you retain the changer.

But I dunno what the back of my unit looks like to tell if I have a "2 x 6 pin connector" or an "8 pin ISO connector". (or could one be for the cd changer socket and the other for the AUX socket???)

Are the units quite easy to get round the back of or to get out to look??

Ok thanks Dude :)

But I've since been browsing around the forum and it looks like you can't easily connect to it with an Ipod.

Best option I believe I've found so far seems to be this iPod CD changer adapter, VW iPod, Music Link, xCarLink which looks promising as it seems you retain the changer.

But I dunno what the back of my unit looks like to tell if I have a "2 x 6 pin connector" or an "8 pin ISO connector". (or could one be for the cd changer socket and the other for the AUX socket???)

Are the units quite easy to get round the back of or to get out to look??

I am not aware of this system above mate so your best bet is to get the unit out and then have a look?

It's simple to get out but you need 4 removal keys that you can source off Ebay if you don't have any? They fit into the 4 rectangular slots in each corner of the DX unit..........

Update this thread if you do anything mate as I am sure others would be interested?

If the input is an AUX then I suspect your only option would be to connect your iPod through this and not have any control over it from the head unit.

The only systems that offer iPod control on OE head units are those which make the unit think the iPod is a CD changer... like the Dension Ice Link Plus or the Connects2 version.

What I'm saying is... I think with the DX you have no choice but to either loose the CD changer if you want control, or put up with no control and keep the changer.

Erm, did that make sense? :confused:

I pretty much think the cd changer port is probably gonna be the only way to connect it too now.

The reason I was looking at the xCarLink one is that it looks like it plugs into the cd changer port to power/control the iPod but also has an input connector to replug the cd changer into (i think)

this: Delta-adapter.jpg (if it's the right connector??)

The way I read the website was that in the little control box it senses if your Ipod is plugged in and if so will read from that but if not will read from the cd changer??? Does that sound possible??

P.S. Yes Baker21 I think I need to get hold of a removal tool. If you know what they look like any chance could you point me at a suitable one on Ebay please so I can check it out. Thanx :)

P.S. Yes Baker21 I think I need to get hold of a removal tool. If you know what they look like any chance could you point me at a suitable one on Ebay please so I can check it out. Thanx :)

Radio removal 4 keys.Audi VW Skoda RNS-E MFD MFD2 0142 on eBay, also, Terminals Cabling, In-Car Entertainment GPS, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 12-Sep-08 12:13:38 BST)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the keys from eBay in the post today, Woo Hoo!! (bought from your link from HONG KONG!! - cheers dude :))

Will pull the unit out over the weekend and have a look at the back now. I'll try and take some photo's an post em up incase it helps anyone else too ok :thumbup:

Got the keys from eBay in the post today, Woo Hoo!! (bought from your link from HONG KONG!! - cheers dude :))

Will pull the unit out over the weekend and have a look at the back now. I'll try and take some photo's an post em up incase it helps anyone else too ok :thumbup:

Photos would be good mate.................:thumbup:

Right.........

This is how far I've got now on the iPod mission.

Skoda DX Navi unit in dash:

superb2008_0921AE.jpg

Insert removal keys:

superb2008_0921AF.jpg

And out it pops:

superb2008_0921AG.jpg

Sticker on top tells you which connector does what:

superb2008_0921AH.jpg

Hence from this above and down shot you can see the Blue part of the triple connector is for the cd changer :)

superb2008_0921AI.jpg

Hence I now think I need to buy one of these: Skoda iPod Interface 8 pin ISO Connector*::*SKODA*::*XCarLink as it comes with an input and output to replace and then reconnect the blue part of the triple connector:

Gamma-ISO.jpg

I'll let you know when I've bought one and tried it OK :thumbup:

(Might be next month now though as I'm still mega skint from buying the car!!)

• 1 month later...
Right.........

This is how far I've got now on the iPod mission.

Skoda DX Navi unit in dash:

superb2008_0921AE.jpg

Insert removal keys:

superb2008_0921AF.jpg

And out it pops:

superb2008_0921AG.jpg

Sticker on top tells you which connector does what:

superb2008_0921AH.jpg

Hence from this above and down shot you can see the Blue part of the triple connector is for the cd changer :)

superb2008_0921AI.jpg

Hence I now think I need to buy one of these: Skoda iPod Interface 8 pin ISO Connector*::*SKODA*::*XCarLink as it comes with an input and output to replace and then reconnect the blue part of the triple connector:

Gamma-ISO.jpg

I'll let you know when I've bought one and tried it OK :thumbup:

(Might be next month now though as I'm still mega skint from buying the car!!)

The first time using a forum! i have got the same problem.

Have you made and progress?

• 2 weeks later...
Dension Icelink 300 does the job for me.

Retains CD changer functionality.

Charges ipod and steering wheel controls forward/back tracks on Ipod. No track naming though.

Does the job with very little fuss.

Hi Mike,

I have just bought a 2005/05 superb. I want to buy the dension but not sure if it will work with my radio unit.

The radio unit face says 'Skoda Audio DX' on top . It looks just like the picture GBDave has posted. It has a colour screen, satnav and a 6CD changer.

I was wondering if you have the same radio unit. If you do then that means mine will work with dension.

Edited by sam2000

GBDave,

From the picture it looks like my radio is identical to yours. Did you manage to get the ipod connected? If you did could you please post the details.

I am trying to do the same but I am very frustrated because I am not sure if the dension stuff will work with this unit.

Any comments from anyone who managed to get the satnav dx to connect to an ipod would change my life!

Please guys! Someboy help me! I am going crazy!

GBDave,

From the picture it looks like my radio is identical to yours. Did you manage to get the ipod connected? If you did could you please post the details.

I am trying to do the same but I am very frustrated because I am not sure if the dension stuff will work with this unit.

Any comments from anyone who managed to get the satnav dx to connect to an ipod would change my life!

Please guys! Someboy help me! I am going crazy!

Hi Sam,

Bad news I'm afraid!

I bought the Xcarlink kit for £75 (including postage) as it looked like it should work! Tried fitting it and it didn't! :(. It played the Ipod OK but even though I'd plugged the cd changer back into the new adaptor it still didn't see the cd changer. :(

i.e. When I disconnected the Ipod from the flylead to use the cd changer instead (as this is how it should opperate) the headunit would kinda jam saying it is selecting cd3 and the timer would go but you'd only get silence.

I've just sent the unit back to get my refund but they did say that they would look into it as they believed it should have worked!?!

So for the time being I'd say don't buy a Xcarlink Ipod adaptor for a Skoda DX SatNav Headunit as from my personal experience "It Don't Work!" :thumbdwn:

So yeah I'm also going nuts still without my Ipod of tunes so please someone if they've sussed it with a DX Satnav headunit then please share the knowledge!! :confused:

Harmon/Kardon Drive+Play, connect it to your AUX-IN... job done :thumbup:

The Drive+Play II's are a little, er, expensive at the moment so I'd have a look for the first version on eBay.

Either that or speak to your local Halfords store - we used to stock this and I'm sure some stores will have residuals :)

Thanks very much GBDave for sharing your experience! I really appreciate it.

Has anyone tried the dension stuff? or is it simply incompatible?

And Thanks very much Bluefox for the information about Harmon/Kardon. That looks pretty promising. I am going to take a look at it. I will post if I make any progress. And if anyone of you find anything about this I would love to hear.

Hope our search for the perfect ipod solution for the dx will succeed! :)

I bought the Xcarlink kit and it didnt work same problem....

So surely the Xcarlink is not an option. But any ideas about if Dension will work with our DX units anyone?

I wrote to dension and got the following reply

Dear Customer,

If I'm right you have Satkompass Navi DX which is compatible with the following products:

- GW100 (GW16VW8)

- GW300 (GW33VW8)

Please note: Text will not be visible on your Head Unit's screen.

If you have further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Please confirm that our reply was satisfactory.

Kind regards,

Dension Support Team

But the reply starts with the words "If I'm right" so I am still not sure about it. I have asked them if there is any way to make sure it is a Satkompas.

But I have a feeling that maybe I should just wait. Becaues mine is an iphone, not an ipod. And all the kits out there are built with only the ipod in mind. I think soon there will be new ones built for iphones which would help us make handsfree calls as well as listen to music using just a single kit. But when such units do come out wheather they are going to be compatible with our old DX head units or not is another question. I will continue the search and please post if you have any info about these things.

Thank you all for this brilliant Thread.

Just a quick question, pricipally to (Brian Mc Cann who got the XCarlink Kit to work) but I'll take sugestions from anyone, where / how are you feeding the Ipod connector wires through the dash into the car?

Thanks again for all the info, particularly GB Daves Pictures. Much appreciated.

AxelF.