Is there an aux connection on Sat Nav DX??

GBDave

Hi, Nice looking car.

I've just purchased a 2.5 V6, I'm looking at conecting the Aux and Video into the back of the DX. I've got the keys to remove the unit, but was wondering were I might find a plug for the Aux and Video. I see you have a PS2 conected to yours, Any help would be geartly recieved. Many thanks Dave.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks spot on :thumbup:

I plan to use the same idea - the only variation is that I'm going to put the socket in the arm rest cubby hole.

Am I right in thinking that you can use the aux input OR the satnav, and not both at the same time?

Cheers

Phil.

OK, finally got around to sorting this out - I’m no electrician so didn’t fancy doing any wiring – instead I decided the easiest way to get the job done was to buy the various connectors that would get me from SatNav to AUX socket with as little technical ability as possible :D….I’m sure a few of you guys could probably shortcut what I did by re-wiring a couple of the cables and swapping the connections (that would certainly make it a more elegant solution) but my method got the job done.

I actually decided to fit two sockets in the end - one in the glovebox for when me and the wife are on long drives and I don't want the MP3 player lying about and one on the dashboard that I can reach from the drivers seat so I can hook my phone up and play tunes off there. The dashboard one was a little more complicated so I'll just describe the glovebox fitting here - that one took me about 20 minutes to fit and cost less than £25 all in!!…

Here’s what I used:

A) AUX line IN adapter: £7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUX-Line-IN-adapter-VW-Audi-MFD-10pin-2xRca-0-15m_W0QQitemZ140297814047QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item140297814047&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

B) RCA phono to 3.5mm stereo jack socket: £3.94

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-phono-plugs-stereo-socket/dp/B000LB0X5K/ref=sr_1_1/276-2232382-3267717?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245925356&sr=8-1

C) 3.5mm Jack Plug Aux Socket: £10.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250380353960

Remove the SatNav as described by GBDave further up this thread (you’ll need the 4 keys to do that)

The AUX line IN adapter connects to the back of the SatNav like this (see att.1) I taped up the blue antenna wire to protect it as it's not needed here.

I had to shave a bit off plastic off the collar on this cable so that it would fit snugly into the SatNav over the top of the other connections – Stanley-knife did the job so it ended up like this (see att. 2)

The phono end of the AUX line IN cable connects to the RCA phono cable and then that feeds through a hole that’s conveniently located towards the back/top of the tray that the SatNav sits in.

There’s 7 screws holding the glovebox in place – 5 at the front and 2 underneath. Remove them and the box pulls forward and drops down. The panel at the end of the dashboard just pops off with a screwdriver so you can get in behind the glovebox more easily (see att. 3).

Make a hole for the AUX socket using a 22ml drill-bit (a flat wood-bit did the job for me). The socket comes with a plastic securing bolt – remove it, feed the wire through the hole and slide the bolt back up the wire and screw the whole thing it back together. I put it here cos there was more room behind the glovebox (see att. 4)

Connect the AUX socket lead and the RCA phono lead together. There’s a lot of spare wire with the AUX socket so I just left it tied up and then taped all the leads on to the top of the glove box.

Fit everything back together and it's job done!!

Note - I bought the cheapest components I could find just to test that this would all work. Now I know it does, I'll probably upgrade the RCA phono cable to something of better quality. The other cables seem pretty good quality anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, finally got around to sorting this out - I’m no electrician so didn’t fancy doing any wiring – instead I decided the easiest way to get the job done was to buy the various connectors that would get me from SatNav to AUX socket with as little technical ability as possible :D….I’m sure a few of you guys could probably shortcut what I did by re-wiring a couple of the cables and swapping the connections (that would certainly make it a more elegant solution) but my method got the job done..............

Thanks to DIYs instructions, I am nearly done. But came across an interesting problem.

I bought all the stuff suggested by DIY (using the links he provided) . But I just couldn't get my radio removal keys. Ordered it on ebay but thanks to the postal strike God knows when they will arrive. I couldn't wait so packed up all the other connectors and went to Halfords to get the radio out. The guy from halfords did his part without any problems. The radio popped out but guess what? The 10 pin AUX connector simply won't fit!

I didn't expect this as I followed the same link that DIY has posted. either the connector on my car is slightly different(unlikely) or the stuff you get from that link is no longer the same stuff DIY got when he ordered.

The pin arrangement looked correct. But the shape of the connector was just not right. After some help from my pliers and my metal cutter I finally managed to make the connection. I hard to cut of a small piece of metal from the outer ring of the connector. DIY had to shave off some of the plastic which was not required in my case as the angle of the wire was different in my case.

when I carefully compared the picture of the connector DIY has posted, I realized what is posted in ebay is indeed different..

So the good news is it still works. But with what we get from that ebay link today we need to do more than just shaving off some plastic. Just thought posting it would be helpful to others planning to do this.

I still haven't made the hole in the glove box and installed it properly. I will do it tomorrow. But now finally I know this is going to work so I am already in celebration mood! Thanks again to DIY! You have done something truly great to mankind!

About sound quality, I am no expert, but it sounds perfect to me!

I have now finished with Iphone integration ( DIY's Mothed). While this works OK I noticed the sound quality isn't exactly CD quality. There is a slight hissing in the background although it is barely noticable. You can hear the hissing clearly if you increase the volume when the audio track has a silent moment (like between songs) or during a podcast if you turn the volume quite high.

This is a bit like FM radio quality.

I think this is to be expected as the connection is analogue (not digital) so there will be some noise.

Any others noticed this? i just wanted to make sure this is normal and not due to me doing something wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my solution...

I plan to fit the socket inside the arm rest, in the same style as the Mk2 Octy.

There is also a 12v feed which could be used for powering/charging the mp3 player, although I've just taped that bit up for now as I don't plan to use it.

31398.attach

31399.attach

31400.attach

I should take back my comment about the sound quality. I found out the 'hissing' only happens when my iphone is connected to the charger. It is probably some sort of interference from the charger. When the charger is removed the sound quality is crisp. I an't see any problem with the sound quality! Now I am listening not only to music but also to podcasts from BBC etc and all sorts of other stuff. finally I can listen to what I want when I want!

I have now finished with Iphone integration ( DIY's Mothed). While this works OK I noticed the sound quality isn't exactly CD quality. There is a slight hissing in the background although it is barely noticable. You can hear the hissing clearly if you increase the volume when the audio track has a silent moment (like between songs) or during a podcast if you turn the volume quite high.

This is a bit like FM radio quality.

I think this is to be expected as the connection is analogue (not digital) so there will be some noise.

Any others noticed this? i just wanted to make sure this is normal and not due to me doing something wrong.

I should take back my comment about the sound quality. I found out the 'hissing' only happens when my iphone is connected to the charger. It is probably some sort of interference from the charger. When the charger is removed the sound quality is crisp. I an't see any problem with the sound quality! Now I am listening not only to music but also to podcasts from BBC etc and all sorts of other stuff. finally I can listen to what I want when I want!

It’s an issue with the MFD. In the past whenever I've connected anything to an MFD (dvd players etc) they always seem to get interference. You can drastically reduce it by fitting a suppressor in the power feed to the connected device, although I've never managed to completely eliminate it.

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

I know I started this post ages ago then kinda dissapeared so I thought I'd let you know what I did to finally solve my situation.

To start off with I totally gave up with the connection that linked in with the cd changer with head unit control as it was turning into too much of a ball ache!

So then decided to settle on just having a 3.5mm jack plug connected through the AUX connection.

To do this I bought the following:

A Dietz 1213 cable (for about £22) from SatNav Sysyems that looked like this:

(although apparently they now no-longer do Dietz stuff)

13223_0.jpg

I then got the rest of the cables/connectors from my local Maplin to convert from the twin phono to a single 3.5mm jack plug and then connected this to a 3.5mm jack plug extension cable so it would be long enough to reach my arm rest compartment.

I then did the fun job of taking out my glovebox, rear seat central heater outlets and inner armrest compartment to be able to eventually feed the cable up to the inside of the armrest.

I then drilled a little hole in the inner armrest compartment to feed the 3.5mm jack cable through, fed it through and put everything back together again.

Now when I select AUX as the audio source (once set to just "Audio" not "Audio & Video" in the AUX settings) and press play on my ipod I finally get my crystal clear ipod music! (and I still get my traffic info and/or satnav working simultaniously too!)

OK you don't get to charge it or control the ipod from the DX head unit like some of the other systems may do (if they actually work) but it now does all I need it to do for much less money, so I'm now finally happy with it!

Regards

GBDave

• 5 months later...

I have got a mutli media box for the sat nav but could do with some advise on wiring it.

4671334476_176d1a0a21_b.jpg

It has 3 wires as per the diagram below.

4671330744_74ccddd585_b.jpg

The easy one - the brown wire I have connected to the eath (top left on the digram below)

At the moment I have taped the red line into Ub (bottom left on the diagram below) which apears to be +12 always on. I 'm guessing I'd be better off connecting this to a swtched 12V supply so that the battery does not drain down. Is there a switched ignition supply aleady in the wiring loom to the SatNav I could use?

The yellow cable +12V over a switch while driving. I'm unsure what to do with this. Any help would be appreciated.

superb2008_0921AH.jpg