Is there an aux connection on Sat Nav DX??

GBDave

Just a quick question, pricipally to (Brian Mc Cann who got the XCarlink Kit to work) but I'll take sugestions from anyone, where / how are you feeding the Ipod connector wires through the dash into the car?

I've not got a DX, or an iPod... but... currently I've got my AUX-IN wire going into my glovebox. This way I can hide the cable when I'm not using the MP3 player.

When I've got the time I'll be dropping the wire straight down from the stereo, under the centre console and into the "cubby hole" in the middle of the car. There's a nice fold down pocket which just fits an mp3 player.

Hope that helps :)

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here are my findings so far. FM transimitters are crap. They transmit over the air and there's always intereference. Then there's wired FM like 'Harmon/Kardon Drive+Play' and the dension ice link these kits connect to the fm antenna socket. So the sound quality is FM quality but not CD quality. You can control the volume with car radio controlss. Then we have connection through CD changer. you get CD quality sound and you can browse your playlists through car radio screen (My satkompass Navi Dx has a good color screen) etc.

The CD changer connection has 2 options, dension,xcarlink (dice although aparently more powerful < you can search by artists and album on your car's satnav screen >, doesn't seem to support skoda at the moment so that's out)

They both(xcarlink and dension) map five of the 6 cds to the first 5 paylists. The remaining Cd is used to switch to manual mode where you control the thing by using your ipod/iphone.

But if you have an iphone 3G or the latest ipod then until recently it won't be charged. But just now both of them are offering new versions that can actually charge these things. Dension GW100 costs twice as much as the xcarlink but then you have the ability to upgrade the firmware. And when I compare the websites that gives the impression that dension are a bigger,more established people. Is it worth the extra money? That is the million dollar er... umm... roughly 70 pound question.

So I will let you know if I ever by one of those kits.

PS: The dension have the optional AV extension kit that lets you watch ipod videos on your satnav scree. But my wife has ruled out that possibility on safety grounds so I have to forget it.

:confused: Please please please help me...

I have recently bought a Superb Elegance 1.9.TDI and absolutely love it!! It has of course the " sat nav DX " fitted. I have had a good read of quite a few threads on here and researched as much as I can else where with regards to fitting an ipod, my local skoda dealership was sadly no help at all and said it was not possible.

I understand I can buy a Dension interface GW100 or a Xcarlink cable?

I am a bit thick so in simple terms which please is the best way to fit it, what do I buy. Do I connect it to the back of the DX, is that by the AUX, or do I fit it via my CD changer in the boot. If I do connect one can I still connect a PS2 or DVD player and then to where.

I am very frustrated with it all, I would love to be able to connect my ipod. Thank goodness for this site and I can hopefully get someones help to sort me and it out. THANK YOU!!!!!! :):)

If someone knows what the pin abreviations are on the label, surely you can simply create a cable? I presume for an ipod you would nead left/ right and ground? And for video simply video & ground?

I think most people simply want to plug the Headphone out of your IPOD / MP3 to the DX Aux in to listen via the Superb stereo . Not necessarily to control the IPOD via the Stearing wheel controls.

So in an ideal world we could have the woring for DX Aux in to 3.5mm output from mp3?

Edited by dempswar
Addition

Yes, not having an accessible 3mm aux input socket is really a crap oversight:thumbdwn: I'd love to connect my mp3 player too. Even my daughters basic Citroen C1 can do this. can't do it in my Fabia VRs Ltd either:thumbdwn:

It's safe to say that the DX unit is 'old hat' and MP3 players weren't really as popular as they are now so it's no surprise that newer model cars have such a facility and the DX unit doesn't...........I just feel lucky to have such a Sat Nav unit in the dash as opposed to all these people with them stuck on the windscreen.........:rolleyes:

Granted it would be nice to plug in my Ipod but I don't really want to spend around £100 on a lead to do so, I would just rather burn CD's.........

A shame really as a 3mm coaxial input jack isn't exactly new technology. They've been around for donkeys :(

If it's an concelation then it's not only Superb driver's who have a DX unit with this problem, Octy's, Fabia's and ofcourse, VW's using the MFD unit - Golfs, Passat's, Polo's, etc.........

This is the lead you need , I think.

http://www.satnavsystems.com/shopexd.asp?id=45

If anyone could find the pin connections on it too, you could replace the phono ends with a 3mm socket.

Is that the same one that takes the place of the CD changer port on the back of the unit? (No - Edited Below)

Edited:

Looks like this: http://www.procinema.hu/default.asp?opentype=termek&product=1213&etk=VWDIETZ1213&marka=Dietz&tipusid=331

Could be the thing we have all been looking for?

Anyone speak German? - That isn't German is it?

Edited by SJFISHER67
comment about German

thats Hungarian :)

And it looks like it connects the L+R audio channels of any device with "cinch/tulip"-out (like a vhs or a turntable :P) to the DX AUX input

iow: you'll get sound when you switch on the AUX connection on the DX... nothing spectacular.. still no text/playlist :sorry:

When i got my Superb recently, i inherited two connected CD changers (the original + a Sony which reads MP3 CDs), if i find some time and the keys to get the DX out of the dash, i'll have a look to see how it is wired up.

As a sidenote... i wonder if we could hook up any TV-Tuner/DVD player... :eyepop: as TV was optional on the DX (and Columbus). Not that i have any use for it, just wondering ;)

As a sidenote... i wonder if we could hook up any TV-Tuner/DVD player... :eyepop: as TV was optional on the DX (and Columbus). Not that i have any use for it, just wondering ;)

I have my PS2 hooked up to the AUX connection to enable you to watch DVD's on the screen.......:thumbup:

:confused: Please please please help me...

I have recently bought a Superb Elegance 1.9.TDI and absolutely love it!! It has of course the " sat nav DX " fitted. I have had a good read of quite a few threads on here and researched as much as I can else where with regards to fitting an ipod, my local skoda dealership was sadly no help at all and said it was not possible.

I understand I can buy a Dension interface GW100 or a Xcarlink cable?

I am a bit thick so in simple terms which please is the best way to fit it, what do I buy. Do I connect it to the back of the DX, is that by the AUX, or do I fit it via my CD changer in the boot. If I do connect one can I still connect a PS2 or DVD player and then to where.

I am very frustrated with it all, I would love to be able to connect my ipod. Thank goodness for this site and I can hopefully get someones help to sort me and it out. THANK YOU!!!!!! :):)

I think Both the GW100 and Xcarlink would do the job. They both connect through the CD changer. That doesn't mean you have to keep the phone in the boot. You can pull the satvanDX unit out of the dash and connect it through the CD changer at the back of the unit. They both come with instructions on how to do this. I think they both come with the radio removal keys (But check this with them before you buy) If not you can always buy these keys from Ebay as GBdave has done.

I can't tell which one is better as I haven't used either of them yet. The last time I checked (a few days ago) the Xcarlink was cheaper and it also allows you to keep your existing CD changer. GW100 is more expensive and if you want to keep using the CD changer you have to pay more to buy the CD retention unit. And GW100 also has an optional addon that would let you watch TV as well.

And if don't like fiddling with these things and would rather get someone else do it for you then then take a look at this. I haven't tried them myself so not sure how good they are though.

Good luck with your iphone connection project. Let us know how things go in this thread! :)

I am still saving up for one of those kits. Haven't decided which one yet.

I hooked my iPhone up to my MFD unit using an Aux cable - blue DIN plug one end, two RCAs the other. That way, if I forgot my iPhone, or bought a new CD, I could resort to using the CD changer. OK, it's a bit of a pain having to select a track on the MP3 player before you set off but I could live with it. I popped the ash tray out of my Octavia and the iPhone and the aux in cable lived in there. Tidy.

The audio aux in lead is cheap (well, relatively; it's still £20 odd) because it's just a lead. I believe the Video in requires a box to do some PAL/RGB wizardry so they cost quite a bit more.

J

In the back of your DX unit.

Ordered mine today!!

I think I`ll put the lead into the small shelf under the steering wheel so i can plug in an MP3 player, CD player, IPOD , PDA or whatever.

The small single blue lead with no plug on the end?

I have ordered mine too.

I am most probably going to fit mine in the central armrest somewhere, managed to remove the lining the other day while seeking suitable places, came out quite easily.

Edited by SJFISHER67

Bump back to the top, please can someone tell me where the blue lead goes? The single blue lead with no plug on the end of it?

I do not know exactly what the wire does but assume it's similar to some kind of audio mute for a car kit or anything you may have?

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Been following this thread for a while now but only just got around to signing up...

Are people still trying to sort this out or have you all found a way round it and are keeping it to yourselves? :) I think I may have found a solution that works for me anyway (famous last words) - decided just to fit an AUX connection so I can play my MP3's...haven't gone for the snazzy off-the-shelf products like denison or xlink cos they look like too much faff (and money) just so I can get the song names on screen etc.

Anyway, let me know if you're interested and I'll try and do the photo thing...if I can get the camera to work....that's the next job!! :D.

Cheers

PS - just wanted to say thanks to the rest of you for all the useful information you've posted after the last few months - has enabled me to get all the right bits to do the job without having to pay my local skoda dealer £120 to do a crappier job :rotz: