Is there an aux connection on Sat Nav DX??

GBDave

Well I don't know if they are available in the UK or not, but back home (US)I had(when I go home I will be digging it out of storage) a Monster cable Ipod Fm transmitter.

It rocked beyond anything I have ever used to include hard wired Ipod connections.

I could literally program it to what ever station I choose AND even if its a powerful station it will black it out to the point where cars 15 ft from me at stop lights would be listening to MY ipod.

Fantastic product and while expensive, WELL worth the money for the ease of use and performance.

Monster® iCarPlay Wireless Plus for iPod®

And this is the newist version of what I have.

Monster® iCarPlay Wireless 250 FM Transmitter with AutoScan for iPod® and iPhone

We used to park 4 cars next to each other and crank up the stereos for tail gating parties. I don't know if yall do the same where your from in the UK, but we would crank up the tunes on one persons Ipod until it died, then the next then the next etc.

But one of these would transmit clearly to to 4 cars away.

Try it, you will like it!!!!!

Absolutly no loss of sound quality at all.

-Bill

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OK, finally got around to sorting this out - I’m no electrician so didn’t fancy doing any wiring – instead I decided the easiest way to get the job done was to buy the various connectors that would get me from SatNav to AUX socket with as little technical ability as possible :D….I’m sure a few of you guys could probably shortcut what I did by re-wiring a couple of the cables and swapping the connections (that would certainly make it a more elegant solution) but my method got the job done.

I actually decided to fit two sockets in the end - one in the glovebox for when me and the wife are on long drives and I don't want the MP3 player lying about and one on the dashboard that I can reach from the drivers seat so I can hook my phone up and play tunes off there. The dashboard one was a little more complicated so I'll just describe the glovebox fitting here - that one took me about 20 minutes to fit and cost less than £25 all in!!…

Here’s what I used:

A) AUX line IN adapter: £7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUX-Line-IN-adapter-VW-Audi-MFD-10pin-2xRca-0-15m_W0QQitemZ140297814047QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item140297814047&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

B) RCA phono to 3.5mm stereo jack socket: £3.94

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-phono-plugs-stereo-socket/dp/B000LB0X5K/ref=sr_1_1/276-2232382-3267717?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245925356&sr=8-1

C) 3.5mm Jack Plug Aux Socket: £10.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250380353960

Remove the SatNav as described by GBDave further up this thread (you’ll need the 4 keys to do that)

The AUX line IN adapter connects to the back of the SatNav like this (see att.1) I taped up the blue antenna wire to protect it as it's not needed here.

I had to shave a bit off plastic off the collar on this cable so that it would fit snugly into the SatNav over the top of the other connections – Stanley-knife did the job so it ended up like this (see att. 2)

The phono end of the AUX line IN cable connects to the RCA phono cable and then that feeds through a hole that’s conveniently located towards the back/top of the tray that the SatNav sits in.

There’s 7 screws holding the glovebox in place – 5 at the front and 2 underneath. Remove them and the box pulls forward and drops down. The panel at the end of the dashboard just pops off with a screwdriver so you can get in behind the glovebox more easily (see att. 3).

Make a hole for the AUX socket using a 22ml drill-bit (a flat wood-bit did the job for me). The socket comes with a plastic securing bolt – remove it, feed the wire through the hole and slide the bolt back up the wire and screw the whole thing it back together. I put it here cos there was more room behind the glovebox (see att. 4)

Connect the AUX socket lead and the RCA phono lead together. There’s a lot of spare wire with the AUX socket so I just left it tied up and then taped all the leads on to the top of the glove box.

Fit everything back together and it's job done!!

Note - I bought the cheapest components I could find just to test that this would all work. Now I know it does, I'll probably upgrade the RCA phono cable to something of better quality. The other cables seem pretty good quality anyway.

29312.attach

29313.attach

29315.attach

29316.attach

29317.attach

Edited by DIY

Superb bit of info there, have done this job myself. Did you have trouble getting the stereo unit to go back into the slot properly after you plugged in the Aux in lead? I had a right faff to get mine in, like you I had to remove the glovebox and get my hands behind it and all that.

Thanks - wasn't too bad once I got the lead through the right hole and pulled it taught so there wasn't any slack sitting behind the satnav. Fitting the second socket in the dash made things a little more fiddly but got there in the end. The cables were a lot longer than they needed to be for the job at hand but I wasn't confident about trying to shorten them - a few cable ties and some duct tape did the job instead. :D

• 4 weeks later...

RE : BAKER 21 PS 2... How do you connect ur ps 2 to the DX unit?? Is it with one of these AUX Line IN adapter VW, Audi MFD.10pin-2xRca 0,15m on eBay (end time 27-Jul-09 14:54:20 BST) ??? Is it that simple or would i need a fancy convertor box gizmo?? i wanna put my old dusty xbox or a portable dvd player in for the kids..

RE : BAKER 21 PS 2... How do you connect ur ps 2 to the DX unit?? Is it with one of these AUX Line IN adapter VW, Audi MFD.10pin-2xRca 0,15m on eBay (end time 27-Jul-09 14:54:20 BST) ??? Is it that simple or would i need a fancy convertor box gizmo?? i wanna put my old dusty xbox or a portable dvd player in for the kids..

I sourced my little box of tricks from Sat Nav Systems but their site seems to be playing up but I am sure the box I bought was a Dietz 1212.........

Having trouble finding one of those dietz 1212 things... none on uk ebay, but found this one on german one.. Dietz 1212 VAG Multimedia Adapter bei eBay.de: Zubehör für Navigationssyteme (endet 24.07.09 10:47:21 MESZ).. Does it look right to u?? And is the fitting of it easy cos it doesnt look like its got any destructions.. sorry instructions with it..

Having trouble finding one of those dietz 1212 things... none on uk ebay, but found this one on german one.. Dietz 1212 VAG Multimedia Adapter bei eBay.de: Zubehör für Navigationssyteme (endet 24.07.09 10:47:21 MESZ).. Does it look right to u?? And is the fitting of it easy cos it doesnt look like its got any destructions.. sorry instructions with it..

Yep that's the one........:thumbup:

This one looks right.. AV MFD Multimedia Interface for VW, AUDI, SKODA, SEAT on eBay (end time 10-Aug-09 13:37:47 BST) Also, in ur opinion would i be better buying one of those twin screen on the back of headrest jobs. or is the skoda screen good enuf for watching films/playing games

Edited by PR1MEVIL
i forget

Finally got that dietz 1212.. £51 inc postage.. Where does the middle output "video on" connect to??? Going to try and fit it tonight, assuming its to enable video on the move.

I have just ordred the AUX line IN adapter 10 pin

AUX Line IN adapter VW, Audi MFD.10pin-2xRca 0,15m on eBay (end time 26-Aug-09 14:54:20 BST)

This part does not fit the back of my unit. The 10 pins are correct but the gold surround on the adapter is not the right shape to fit.

Anyone else had a problem

Kind Regards

How do u mean "not right shape" is it just different size or a different shape. cant it be adjusted??? Is it a DX or a newer head unit??

It will not push into the aux socket. all the pins line up but the metal gold surround has a large lip which does not match the pattern of the unit. Looking at the female socket the DX llooks to have three small recesses around the socket. Took the metal surround off and it fits perfectly but now broken (metal surround is the earth I believe) Actually thought I could buy a new 10 pin adapter from Maplins and rewire,Thry have not got anything and that includes Halford also

Just wanted to make sure nobody makes the same mistake. I will keep you informed..

I have emailed the seller from ebay and waiting for a reply.

Edited by berr0010

Unlucky.. when you get ur money back, have a look at this DIETZ 1213 Ton Adapter für VW Navigationssystem on eBay (end time 26-Aug-09 19:09:00 BST)its the only one on ebay (german that is) that looks like the correct plug.. if u look at the picture closely u can see the long recession at the top of the plug in the metal which looks like my Dietz 1212.. Postage is bit pricey tho.....

• 2 weeks later...

Terrific job DIY!

Thanks for posting the details! This is great work!

How you do like the music quality? Are you getting CD quality?

OK, finally got around to sorting this out - I’m no electrician so didn’t fancy doing any wiring – instead I decided the easiest way to get the job done was to buy the various connectors that would get me from SatNav to AUX socket with as little technical ability as possible :D….I’m sure a few of you guys could probably shortcut what I did by re-wiring a couple of the cables and swapping the connections (that would certainly make it a more elegant solution) but my method got the job done.

I actually decided to fit two sockets in the end - one in the glovebox for when me and the wife are on long drives and I don't want the MP3 player lying about and one on the dashboard that I can reach from the drivers seat so I can hook my phone up and play tunes off there. The dashboard one was a little more complicated so I'll just describe the glovebox fitting here - that one took me about 20 minutes to fit and cost less than £25 all in!!…

Here’s what I used:

A) AUX line IN adapter: £7

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AUX-Line-IN-adapter-VW-Audi-MFD-10pin-2xRca-0-15m_W0QQitemZ140297814047QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET?hash=item140297814047&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

B) RCA phono to 3.5mm stereo jack socket: £3.94

http://www.amazon.co.uk/RCA-phono-plugs-stereo-socket/dp/B000LB0X5K/ref=sr_1_1/276-2232382-3267717?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1245925356&sr=8-1

C) 3.5mm Jack Plug Aux Socket: £10.99

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=250380353960

Remove the SatNav as described by GBDave further up this thread (you’ll need the 4 keys to do that)

The AUX line IN adapter connects to the back of the SatNav like this (see att.1) I taped up the blue antenna wire to protect it as it's not needed here.

I had to shave a bit off plastic off the collar on this cable so that it would fit snugly into the SatNav over the top of the other connections – Stanley-knife did the job so it ended up like this (see att. 2)

The phono end of the AUX line IN cable connects to the RCA phono cable and then that feeds through a hole that’s conveniently located towards the back/top of the tray that the SatNav sits in.

There’s 7 screws holding the glovebox in place – 5 at the front and 2 underneath. Remove them and the box pulls forward and drops down. The panel at the end of the dashboard just pops off with a screwdriver so you can get in behind the glovebox more easily (see att. 3).

Make a hole for the AUX socket using a 22ml drill-bit (a flat wood-bit did the job for me). The socket comes with a plastic securing bolt – remove it, feed the wire through the hole and slide the bolt back up the wire and screw the whole thing it back together. I put it here cos there was more room behind the glovebox (see att. 4)

Connect the AUX socket lead and the RCA phono lead together. There’s a lot of spare wire with the AUX socket so I just left it tied up and then taped all the leads on to the top of the glove box.

Fit everything back together and it's job done!!

Note - I bought the cheapest components I could find just to test that this would all work. Now I know it does, I'll probably upgrade the RCA phono cable to something of better quality. The other cables seem pretty good quality anyway.

• 4 weeks later...