replacing whip aerial with shark fin aerial , need info

samy1

Hi All, I need some help with a shark fin antenna 1k0 035 507 J ...Could anyone please tell if this antenna will fit on my Fabia MK 2003 as a replacement to the existing factory whip antenna? What modifications are needed on the roof chassis(if any ) any connectors, fitting on the roof ? thanks a lot. Samy

Thats a guide I just had pm'd to me by Dave, need to be a member to view it so maybe a vagweb member could link it up?

DIY - Euro OEM Shark-Fin Antenna Swap - VW GTI Forum / VW Rabbit Forum / VW R32 Forum / VW Golf Forum - Golfmkv.com

More there!!

Cheers

AC

Edited by ACSC
Another link added
  • Like 1

Its been locked, so even i can't edit and copy/paste it across (and its my fooking guide) Grrrr

I'll try and get this sorted....

Wars matey, that was a rapid post!!!

How do you find the FM reception?

Cheers

Andy

Direct replacement for the "Whip style" vag aerial.

Part number: 1K0 035 507 J

Total cost: £31.04

Fitting time: 10-15 mins DIY

Tools needed: tape and large socket (forgot to note what size)

03072008181.jpg

Remove rear plastic trim and pull down roof lining till you see a lead coming through the roof and this nut:

03072008184.jpg

Remove nut and disconnect aeriel lead

03072008183.jpg

Black connection is current one on my Fabia. Pink connection is new one on Shark fin.

03072008182.jpg

Remove the pink connector from the lead (do not cut it off, just prize the conection open and it will remove easily).

Put new aeriel and wire through the rook and secure with tape, or ask friend to hold firm while you tighten the nut.

Now connect the 2 connectors and tape them together (they are not as snug as the old connectors but work fine for reception)

Push roof liner back inot place and refit plastic trim.

Job done:

03072008186.jpg

03072008187.jpg

03072008188.jpg

11092008188.jpg

FM Reception hasn't changed for me.

Hope that guide above is ok, its nearly identical to my original one on Vagweb, just had to copy the text and dig out the pics again. :thumbup:

You are a star matey, i'll get an aerial on order sharpish!!

Many thanks

AC:thumbup:

• 1 year later...

Got Octavia 2 with UGLY aerial which can only be folded, not removed.....would this replace it ok.

Also SWMBO has knackered her aerial in carwash....would it fit ok on her Passat?

Oh, and would it be ok with MFD2 with sat nav ??

Edited by Napier
just remembered go mfd2 fitted

Yeh, I noticed the 1k part number as a mk5 Golf, But I've not seen any UK golfs fitted with this Aerial, other than cars spec'd with SATnav...

But in the above photos, the wire coming out of the shark fin is a single wire - which I'm presuming is an FM wire.

SatNav Shark fin aerials have normally 2 (or 3) wires,

FM,

GPS signal

Telephone Prep

So I guess this part must be a European only part.

Just my concern is that the connector is not correct fitment to the existing loom in the Fabia.

you must be bonkers to think that fin thing looks better than the bee sting.

another case of changing for the sake of it.

Not if u see the ugly carbuncle I have fitted....and can't remove for carwashes !!

I've recently bought one of these for my furby from a brisky member...

It came with a separate second wire connector, anybody know what this is for???

It's the only thing putting me off of fitting it....:confused:

• 8 months later...

Returning to this, is the connector on the later (07) Fabia MK1s the same as above, or would I have to remove the pink connector as instructed?

My bee sting is rapidly dying a death, dealer says it's OK :thumbdown: I've only 3 or so weeks warranty left.

So besides S2000 aerial, C2 aerial and the above (mk5 golf) does anyone have any pictures of other pretty aerials? preferred without FM signal loss.. :)

Thanks.

I've spotted This and This on E-Bay, again I'm not sure of the connection type to suit a vRS SE.

I had a quick try to get my old aerial off. No way could I under the nut with just the rear panel removed. Looked to me like both side panels would have to come off too. I stopped after I tried and 2 metal clips came off the trim panel and fell into the abys :thumbdown:

Just ordered one of these @ £10.99 Inc Shipping ..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180523496142&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Will see what it is like when it arrives :D

Dean

Keep us informed, particularly about how the connection compares to the Fabia connection and how good the reception is.