HOWTO : Get rSAP working with the Columbus RNS510 using a

Alien8d

As everyone knows, the Columbus RNS510 unit requires an rSAP compatible phone in order to use the full functionality of the phone system in the car. If, like me, you’re someone who doesn’t own a Nokia or one of the few other phones that are designated as “compatible”, then this guide is for you. It is designed to show you how to get pretty much any phone running Windows Mobile connected to the Columbus, irrespective of whether it is deemed compatible or not. This won’t work for iPhones or Blackberry’s, it’s strictly a Microsoft Windows Mobile fix. I can’t absolutely guarantee it will work with every phone, but of the ones I’ve tested, it has worked with all of them so far.

This guide is aimed to be generic, in the sense that whilst the procedures are correct, different phones operate in different ways, and depending on whether you’re using WM Professional or Standard will also dictate how MS have labelled differing tabs/menu’s on your phone. The procedures however are still correct, but you may have to use a semblance of common sense to find some of the menus/programs I refer to in this guide for your specific phone.

DISCLAIMER : This guide is of a semi technical nature. I suggest anyone contemplating using it read it thoroughly first (including the notes & comments at the end of this guide), and if the are unsure of any steps, or do not understand something, please DO NOT do this. There is (very) slim possibility that you could damage your phone following this guide, and whilst I’ve tried to be as thorough as possible in explaining what to do, I cannot be held responsible if you screw up J If after all this, you’re still dead set on trying to get this to work, find a 10 year old kid, and ask them to do it. That way, if it all goes wrong, you can blame them instead of me ;)

Also, whilst it will not invalidate any warranties, if you’re doing this on a company phone, they may have rules in place that state you can’t install software on your device or modify it in any way. Either way, please check first, and make your own decision.

Copyright : None. If it helps anyone, feel free to distribute.

Requirements :

1) That you’ve read the disclaimer, understand it, and accept it.

2) A mobile phone / PDA running Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard or Professional with standard Bluetooth capability. This guide MAY work with phones running WM6, but I haven’t tested it on any, so can’t be sure.

3) Familiarity with how to configure Bluetooth and turn it on and off on your phone (should be covered in your phone manual anyway, but please check first).

4) A PC/Mac/Laptop with internet access to both the Rapidshare & Microsoft websites (www.rapidshare.com & www.microsoft.com )

5) EITHER a) MS Activesync 4.5 (or above), and a suitable cable to connect your phone to your PC/Laptop

OR B) A storage card compatible with your phone, and the means of copying files to and from it.

Part 1 : Preliminaries and Downloading the required files.

1) First up, backup all your data on the phone. It is highly unlikely you will need this, but as everyone who’s ever installed any software knows, backup first, and then if it all goes wrong, you can at least return to whence you started. If you typically connect your phone to MS Outlook / Exchange, then this will backup up the critical info (contacts / calendar etc), otherwise you’ll need a 3rd party product to do this (a Google search will give loads of possible options)

2) Using your internet connection download the following file from Rapidshare

RapidShare: Easy Filehosting

This is a free to download site, and if you’re not a member you may have to wait a minute or so before you can download the file. It is virus free, but please don’t take my word for it, and as with any files from the internet, I suggest you scan it anyway using your A/V package of choice. As a check, the file is 47.3k in size.

3) In order to speed up the operation of mobile phones, and to reduce the memory used by the device, some versions of WM6.1 do not come with .NET Compact Framework 3.5 installed. This is a requirement for the rSAP installation to work, but unless you’re a geek like me and using a “cooked ROM” (ie, non-standard Operating System that you yourself have installed), chances are you won’t know if you have .Net installed until you try to install the rSAP program and it either works or fails. I would suggest anyone using this guide downloads the .Net framework file from the Microsoft website, and if it’s not needed so much the better. If it is, at least you have it, and can install it. .Net can be obtained here

Download details: .NET Compact Framework 3.5 Redistributable

Part 2 : Copying rSAP to the phone

As with all mobile device CAB files, once it is installed, it deletes itself, so don’t worry about using up initial storage space on your phone.

1) If you have Activesync and intend to use that method, first find the file you downloaded from Part 1, then open the Activesync program, and do the following

Open the Tools menu

Select “Explore Device”

Find the “My Documents” folder on your phone.

Copy the BT_sap.cab file over to the My Documents folder.

Note : If you have a storage card in your phone, you can also copy the file to that as well. As I said, the cab file will be deleted once installed, so as long as you can find it, it doesn’t really matter where you put it.

If you don’t have MS Activesync, or a connection cable, then you can alternatively copy the file to a removable storage card, and then insert that into the phone instead.

2) If you used Activesync, now disconnect the cable from your phone. If not, then you should have already inserted the storage card into the phone.

Part 3 : Installing rSAP

1) Firstly, we want a “clean” phone memory to do this, so I suggest you power off your phone, and restart it. This is the easiest way to clear the phone of any running applications (bubble breaker, Activesync, outlook, internet explorer etc). Whilst none of these should have any effect on the installation, it’s always wise to do this when installing any new application

2) Now run “File Explorer” on your mobile device. Depending on whether you’ve got a PDA or Phone, or are running WM6.1 Pro or Standard this program could be in a number of places. However, it WILL be on the phone somewhere, so if you don’t know where it is, just go through the various menus until you find it.

3) Once FE is open, use it to browse for the BT_sap.cab file you downloaded in Part 1. If your phone has a search facility, and you can’t find the file with File Explorer, you can use that instead.

4) Select BT_sap.cab and run it. You will now be asked where to install “jasjamming BT SAP” (History Note : The HTC i-mate JasJam was one of the first phones to have rSAP capability, and this file has been copied from that device). If you have a storage card, you could install it there, BUT I’ve not tested a storage install, and as the file is so small I would advise always installing it to your device.

Select “Device”, and click “Install”

You should now get the message “BT_SAP was successfully installed on your device” Click “Done” to continue.

If you do NOT get the above message, or you get an error instead, then you need to install the .Net Framework which you downloaded earlier. You follow the same procedures you did to copy and install the BT_sap file, but if you are in any doubt, then the MS Website has comprehensive installation instructions on how to do this. Once you have installed .Net, repeat parts 2, 3 & 4 above to find and install the BT_sap program..

Part 4 : Configuring rSAP

If Part 3 went successfully, you will now have a new program installed to your phone. As with File Explorer, it could have been installed in a number of places, so you may have to hunt around for it. However, somewhere on the phone, there will now be a new icon labelled “SAP Settings”.

1) Open the “SAP settings” program. If Bluetooth is turned off, then you will get a message informing you of this. Select “Yes” to continue, and wait until Bluetooth is turned on (look for the Bluetooth icon in your status menu).

2) You should now be presented with a page with a checkbox labelled “Remote SIM Access”. Click the checkbox, and select “Done”

3) Now find your Bluetooth configuration settings on your phone. Usually it is available within the “Comm Manager”. You need to configure 2 things within the Bluetooth section.

The first is make your phone “Visible” (this is so the Columbus unit can see the phone when it searches for new devices). This is frequently a checkbox.

The second is to disable the “OBEX authentication” requirement (this is to allow the Columbus unit to connect to the phone - The Columbus unit already has passkey requirements and enabling OBEX simply causes the unit to fail to connect). Again, this is usually a checkbox.

If in ay doubt, your phone user manual should have instructions on where to find these two settings, and how to configure them.

Part 5 : Connecting your phone to your Columbus unit.

Right, final part (the easy bit ;) )

The instructions in the handbook are reasonably comprehensive and most people should be able to connect the phone using those. However a quick recap follows.

1) Ensure Bluetooth is turned on, you have the SIM Access protocol on, OBEX is disabled, and the phone is Visible to other devices

2) Start the car, and select “phone” on the display. Now select “Search for devices”

3) After 30 seconds or so, your phone name should be listed on the display (if you’re doing this in a crowded multi storey, you may see other devices as well. Just make sure you find yours). Click “connect”.

4) The phone will now indicate that the Skoda_rSAP wishes to connect to your phone. The display will give you a 16 digit PIN to enter (4 key presses of 4 consecutive numbers). Type this PIN into your phone. If you’ve done it correctly, the phone will now report it has successfully connected to the Skoda_rSAP.

5) If you have a PIN on your SIM card, the Columbus display will now prompt you for a PIN. Use the scroll keys to select the correct digits, and at the end, select SAVE (if you just do OK, then every time you try to connect the phone to the car, it will prompt you for the PIN).

6) If you’ve done all the above correctly, the phone and car will now be connected to each other, and the Columbus will ask to download all you contacts from the Phone (the phone will prompt you do you wish to allow the Skoda to download the contacts). As the aim of this guide is to give the car access to your phone, I suggest you say Yes ;). Depending on how many friends you have this could take between 2 and 15 minutes. (a 400 contact database took about 4 minutes, whilst a 3,500 took about 20)

That’s it - You now have an rSAP capable phone connected to your car.

Final Comments.

There are shortcuts to some of the above procedures, and anyone who knows a lot about PC’s / Mobiles can use them. However, these instructions have been written to enable as many people as possible, with minimal experience, to install the rSAP feature. I apologise to anyone who feels “babied” by either my tone of writing or length of the instructions, but I didn’t write them for you (if you’re that smart, you’ll have worked this procedure out anyway :D )

Side Effect & Solution : There is one potential side effect to this procedure, which I have seen on some phones and not others. I don’t know whether it is as a result of shoe-horning a solution into the phones or just a quirk of the Columbus system. When you connect the phone to the Columbus system, in order to use rSAP, the phone is switched off (the Columbus unit has a GSM transmitter in it, so doesn’t need the GSM part of the phone), putting the phone into a form of “flight mode”.

The side effect is that when you leave the car, and disconnect the phone from the Columbus unit, the GSM phone aerial won’t switch back on again (as I said, it’s not all phones, and I don’t know why it does it). The solution is before turning off the engine, open the “SAP settings” on the phone and turn the SIM Access off. This will disconnect the phone from the unit. Now, switch the phone itself off (ie, power down). When you power the phone back on again, SAP is off, and the phone works perfectly. To reconnect the phone to the unit, simply re-enable SAP, and it will connect automatically.

At the end of the day, whilst annoying, personally I can live with it, and consider this a better solution than changing phones :)

Hope this helps, and if anyone has any questions, comments or problems, please post and I’ll try to answer as best as I can.

• Like 1

Nice explanation!

I understood from my dealer that Skoda does not work with rSAP but with HFP ( Hands Free Protocol )

The RNS510 or Columbus have nothing to do with this, its all about the bluetooth module used.

Volkswagen uses a rSAP module with their premium phone addon, Skoda uses a HFP module with their bluetooth preparation

The RNS510 or Columbus are only a controlling device to operate the available Bluetooth module.

Again, this is what my dealer told me because i was able to use my iPhone G1 within the superb and not within a 2008 passat, hence the iPhone does not support rSAP.

Maybe this is all different in Holland :confused:

Nice explanation!

I understood from my dealer that Skoda does not work with rSAP but with HFP ( Hands Free Protocol )

The RNS510 or Columbus have nothing to do with this, its all about the bluetooth module used.

Volkswagen uses a rSAP module with their premium phone addon, Skoda uses a HFP module with their bluetooth preparation

The RNS510 or Columbus are only a controlling device to operate the available Bluetooth module.

Again, this is what my dealer told me because i was able to use my iPhone G1 within the superb and not within a 2008 passat, hence the iPhone does not support rSAP.

Maybe this is all different in Holland :confused:

Things are definitely different, depending on country.

In the UK, the Superb is only available with the premium GSM III (3) bluetooth kit. This is identical to the premium bluetooth present in the 2008 Passat that you tried. This only supports rSAP, so my iPhone doesn't work :(.

I suspect that the car you tried has got the GSM II (2) preparation, which is the same as the bluetooth kit used in the Octavia (pre-facelift). This does use the handsfree profile, and so the iPhone works very nicely.

There is also a GSM I option, but I'm not sure what this gives you. I think this is where you get a cradle that it specific to the phone you are using, so no bluetooth capability needed.

Bagpuss.

Hi

Tried this on my work HTC S620 but I get the error mssage about system permissions whenever I run BT_SAP. Quick scoot about on the internet says this is usually due to there not being enough space but there is tons of space on the internal storage and on the storage card (I've tried both).

Thought it might be due to .NET so downloaded that, stuck it onto the phone ad tried to run BT_CAB again but I get the same message about system permissions.

It's running WM6 by the way which I know you've not tried but I plan to be the guinea pig. I had bought a touch diamond and tried to get that running with it but it's a terrible phone and when connected to Superb bluetooth keeps on dropping out. Going to sell it before it's thrown out of the window somewhere down the M1.

Any suggestions would be great.

Cheers

Rob, dumb question, but have you checked to see if the program has installed anyway ? I have seen this on a Touch Dual that I used to test this, and even though it gave the same error message as above, it still installed.

Will see if I can do any more testing, and get back to you

Rob, dumb question, but have you checked to see if the program has installed anyway ? I have seen this on a Touch Dual that I used to test this, and even though it gave the same error message as above, it still installed.

Will see if I can do any more testing, and get back to you

You sir, are some kind of genius. I've just had a scout about and indeed it had installed. I found it in the 'expert' folder off the start button. Ticked the box and havejust been down to my car, linked it up and made my first call. No more charging of headsets!!!!

So, your method works with WM6 even if the screen says otherwise.

Not sure if it even installed from the first go and I just didn't know. Thank you again for your help.

Can't wait to get out tomorrow and give someone a call. icon14.gif

• 2 weeks later...

hi

have troble with my TYTNII phone and columbus, was going to try this instructions

but in part 4 configuring rSAP part 3 you write: the second is to disable the "OBEX authentication" what is this, i can¨t find this in my phone or in the manual either in norwegian or english . can anyone explaine it or tell me what it means or even say where i could find it in my TYTNII phone.

regard

Nils

hi

have troble with my TYTNII phone and columbus, was going to try this instructions

but in part 4 configuring rSAP part 3 you write: the second is to disable the "OBEX authentication" what is this, i can¨t find this in my phone or in the manual either in norwegian or english . can anyone explaine it or tell me what it means or even say where i could find it in my TYTNII phone.

regard

Nils

Hi Nils

I couldn't find it on my HTC phone either but it just worked. Not sure if it's some sort of SIM password?

Hello,

In the same context, has anyone ever tried to put his old sim card (which was successfully paired to premium bluetooth with rSAP in RNS510) in a new phone and do the pairing again? I was using an HTC P3300 Artemis WM5 phone and now I am having an HTC Touch HD WM6.1 phone. When I put my sim into the new phone, the Premium kit connects, tries to initialize phone and then ...aborts. I tried to delete the user profile, and without any user profile to redo the pairing, but still no success.

Please, if someone has ever changed phones using the same sim and managed to redo all pairings, respond...

Nectarios

robski90 - I know some phones don't call it OBEX, they just have (something like) "Security authentication". It's basically the same thing, and just means that there is an additional layer of security added for when you do Bluetooth pairings. Unless you're really worrried about people trying to hack your bluetooth connection, I always turn it off.

nkoziris - With the bluetooth pairing, it's not SIM related, it's phone related. When the pairing occurs, it pairs to the handset, and not the SIM card (even though it's called SIM access protocol). I've done this with a Qtek 8500, and an Touch Dual, and I know it does work.

Sounds like you need to re-pair the Columbus with your new phone, and it should then see the SIM card.

As an aside, I've noticed that you don't get a lot of time to pair the handsets, before the Columbus times out, and tells you authorisation has failed. It took me 10 or more tries with the Touch Dual, before I could key the 16 digit code in fast enough to get it to work.

Hi, I've just collected my Superb 2 Elegance with the Columbus multi function system.. All pretty impressive, BUT as this forum shows there are some issues with the "bluetooth" operation and the manuals are not a loit of help. Have Skoda or anyone else come up with a full list of compatible phones i.e. rsap equipped and working "out of the box". My Blackberry Pearl won't work, but I hate this anyway so I'll probably get a new phone. Any suggestions from anyone much appreciated. No time to faff about with software tweaks.

Best wishes to all for 2009

Oldrenders

• 4 weeks later...

I had my new skoda delivered today. Intially the car did not see my phone, I have an O2 xda, and after following your excellent set-up the car searched for devices and found my phone. I was given the 16-digit passcode which I entered into my phone.... it then says "connected" but after a minute or two disconnects. Very frustrating.

If you have any advice it would be appreciated or it seems I am going to have to purchase a second phone that is compatible.

Unfortunately, I don't know much about the XDA (never owned one), so some of this is a punt in the dark. Have you checked the following.

1) Which version of the XDA ? It may be that there are some additional tweaks that need to be done, but you need to know which phone you have. If you're not sure, see if you can find it on this website XDA Developer Wiki The forums there are excellent, and it's where I got most of my info for the guide in the first place.

2) You are running WM6 or later I presume (WM5 has issues with bluetooth security, and times out)

3) In the Bluetooth settings on the Maxidot display, there is an "Off Time". Make sure it is set to "0"

Hi

Many thanks for your reply.

I have a HTC Wizard (Prodigy). O2 XDAMini S

I used the site to upgrade my operating system to 6.1.

I cannot find how to change the bluetooth settings on the maxidot. Does a phone need to be paired before this option is available?

Yes, until the phone is paired, it won't allow you to change other settings (ie, the phone menu doesn't even appear if there is no phone paired with the car)

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the XDA to help any more than that. I presume you've searched the XDA Developers forums for more info on the phone.

Yes, until the phone is paired, it won't allow you to change other settings (ie, the phone menu doesn't even appear if there is no phone paired with the car)

I'm afraid I don't know enough about the XDA to help any more than that. I presume you've searched the XDA Developers forums for more info on the phone.

I did have a look on the forums and could not find any further useful information. I eventually decided to buy a £35 Nokia from Tesco which worked first time and the whole phone system is up and running.

Many thanks for your responses.

I did have a look on the forums and could not find any further useful information. I eventually decided to buy a £35 Nokia from Tesco which worked first time and the whole phone system is up and running.

:thumbup: good move !!!

life is too short to be ar$ing about isnt it !!!

my 4 yr old nokia 6230i works a treat with the skoda.

not tried my newer 6300 yet but suspect it will be OK too. prefer the older phone though as it feels more robust and is smaller in my pocket.

What model did you buy?

• 1 month later...

This is a message for Alien8D. I have followed your detailed work procedure to the letter for my HTC Touch pro and now face a problem. The Installation of the BT_SAP.Cab did not work and the message reads. Installation was unsuccessful. The program or setting cannot be installed because it does not have sufficient system permissions.This message was after I was asked where to install “jasjamming BT SAP”. I then tried to run .NET CF 3.5. This could not be found after download onto the handset. I tried dragging it and dropping it but it would not run. Please do you have any ideas. how I can get this to run.

Chiz,

The "insufficient permissions" error is a common one with HTC phones, and unfortunately there are a myriad of reasons why it may not work. One possible solution is to reboot the phone, and try installing the file as the first thing you do (ie, effectively on a phone with a "clean" memory). You could also try searching the forums on http://forum.xda-developers.com and see if they have a solution there.

Out of interest, what o/s are you running, and on which service provider ? I have a colleague who has the Touch Pro as well (on contract Vodafone), and it works straight out of the box with the Columbus.

As an aside, I do know the Coumbus bluetooth is a bit flakey. I've had a Touch Dual working perfectly with the car for 3 months now, and 2 days ago it stopped working. It's going back into Skoda next week for a checkup, as it works fine with another car, but now doesn't with mine.

Alien8b

Thanks for the tip. Some things are never easy. I will go and scroll through the xda developers site.

My phone is an unlocked model with an 02 sim.

its all very irritating.

we shall soldier on sorry to hear you now have further problems with yourHTC handset.

Chiz

well I have now spent a couple of days looking through web sites to find a way of getting the Columbus to talk to the HTC Touch Pro and have not found the answer through any downloads. This however may be the answer if a slightly expensive one. Check out the link below.

FISCON Bluetooth Handsfree

Does anybody know what the fitting cost would be?