Thinking of having a change

stevos

I would think very hard. What do you use the car for? How many miles per annum. The RX8 is a cracking car but costly, impractical and if you decide you've made the wrong choice very hard to get rid of. Mazda dealers are awash with them.

dont use the car that often just for going over to the misses which is only 30 miles round trip. use the company van most of the time.

Always liked the rx8 and seen one at the local car auctions, 53 plate with 40000 and a full service history sold for 3800 which i thought was alot of car for the money. love my octy but it nearly has 70 000 and don' t want to put more miles on it and affect resale price.

I think if you like the car then go for it. You've got a van for lugging wardrobes about!

I'd recommend the PZ special edition if you can find one. They were fettled by Prodrive and had uprated springs and dampers, and brakes amongst some cool cosmetic features, and the handling is sweet.

True fuel economy is poor but you don't buy a sports car for the MPG do you? They are more practical than people give them credit for the rear seats will sit full size adults and the rear doors apart from being cool are great for rear access.

The boot is also reasonable bit the aperture is a bit letter box in style.

Take one for a test, you won't be disappointed.

My friend had a RX8 and it was so thirsty! It didn't just drink fuel it drank lots of oil too for some reason. Think every time he filled up it was a litre or so of oil, Mazda reckoned it was normal.

If you want a Japanense sports car I recomend trying the 350Z before you commit to a RX8.

My friend had a RX8 and it was so thirsty! It didn't just drink fuel it drank lots of oil too for some reason. Think every time he filled up it was a litre or so of oil, Mazda reckoned it was normal.

If you want a Japanense sports car I recomend trying the 350Z before you commit to a RX8.

But how much is a cheap Z? How many £Ks more than the RX?

They do use oil and drink petrol but no one has ever denied that. Nice looking car, great interior, RWD, enough power, practical size, need I go on?

it was probably the looks that make me want it more than the power. I know they do use oil but i think thats just a ****le trait to be honest. it wont get used evary day so not really bothered about the fuel side of things and heh petrols cheap just now anyway

Get yerself a 350z instead. They are very cheap 2nd hand. You'll get a decent one for £12-13k but that might be out of your budget if you're talking about £4k RX8s.

Cheap Z?

I reckon I could probably find you a Coupe with the GT Pack on a 04 plate done about 50,000 miles for between £11k-£12k. I'm not sure exactly but that's a educated guess.

The Z sounds a lot nicer than the RX8 and has similar fuel economy.

I know a guy who is selling a Convertible model done 10,000 miles on a 06 plate, not sure on price but I can find out if you wish.

IIRC they are dumping the ****el in the RX-8 and its being made with the MPS lump now. Mazda would have been broke years ago with the development of the multi/side port rotary if it hadnt been for the MX-5.

Having worked at Mazda for a couple of years (twined with Skoda) the RX-8 kept us going at times with breakdowns etc..lol

becaus eof the rotary engine you have to thrash it for a decent turn of speed. Hard work all the time, no relaxing in an RX8. Try the RX8 driving experience at Thruxton if you get a chance.

Just go for a drive in one. Only way to tell if you'll get on with it. Will have totally different power delivery to the vRS. I only kept my beautiful Prelude Motegi for a few months because I got fed up with having to thrash it to go fast. Much prefer my vRS, or for that matter, my old Corrado VR6, which I guess would have similar power delivery to a Z. Z is a bit more of a blokes car too IMHO ;)

The rotary is known to use a lot of oil and fuel and you really have to "get" them. I think they are fantastic for their smoothness and high revs BUT you have to top the oil up at every other fuel stop and it will only so about 15 mpg if you cane it which you will need to. It also has very high emissions so Darling will rob you. I fancied one myself after Jay Leno waxed lyrical about them on his site but he can afford the fuel bills. Everyone I spoke to said don't:)

just wasn't sure about reliability issuse as i remember the rx7 having to get regular rebuilds. only thing i would be considered about is re-sale value and if i could sell it on at all i mean most people use their car everyday so would want decent fuel economy.

nice cars although am looking for something with more then two seats,don't think i could live with a soft top either.

just drove my octy there and i really love it but i have a big thing about the milage getting to high on it for me selling it.

Maybe i should just sell it and get another one with lower miles and get it remaped.

oil is injected into the rotors to lubricate the tips

if you buy one , make sure it has a full Mazda service history , antifreeze needs changing ever 2 years after the big (expensive) 37.5k service , starter motors go, batteries go, the suspension can get very crashy at higher mileages, make sure it has had all the recalls done , fuel tank, oil cooler pipes are the ones i remember

early cars were a pig to start , but modified plugs and PCM software upgrades should have been done by now

aircon rad prone to damage from road debris, 6 stack CD player is very expensive if it goes faulty

Cheap Z?

I reckon I could probably find you a Coupe with the GT Pack on a 04 plate done about 50,000 miles for between £11k-£12k. I'm not sure exactly but that's a educated guess.

The Z sounds a lot nicer than the RX8 and has similar fuel economy.

I know a guy who is selling a Convertible model done 10,000 miles on a 06 plate, not sure on price but I can find out if you wish.

That's probably about right on the Z prices.

Even just looking on autotrader round here, you could get a nice GT one on a 53 plate with 40k on the clock for £12,995. I'm only talking about UK models though, not the cheaper imports.

I saw Nissan advertising them for less thank £20k new though recently ... believe it or not!!!

The RX8 is not what I'd call reliable. There's one just round the corner from me and it is not what I would call reliable. Lummox sees as much of it as its owner. Latest thing was "another oil cooler leak". The radiator is like a magnet for debris and it gulps down petrol and oil.

He loves driving it, but regrets buying it because of its unreliability. He knew about its drinking problems when he bought it.

Coming from left field what about a Mazda6 MPS, they seem to almost free at the moment. Or really different what about a Crossfire? Ignore that tw*t Clarkson they sound nice