Skoda Fabia door lock jammed

Greggors

Hope a similar problem hasnt been posted before, had a look through and couldnt find anything.

Took my Skoda Fabia vrs in to a local body shop to have a dent in the passenger door removed. Picked it up on Friday took it home and didn't drive it again until Monday morning. When my flat mate tried to open the passenger door it was jammed from inside and out. Took it back to the body shop and he said he would take a look. He didn't have it done by the evening so left it with him. He called at lunch today to say he couldn't fix it. Skoda had told him it was a common fault with the door locks breaking internally. He said a new part would be 85 plus vat plus the labour plus the labour from yesterday. I told him I wasn't paying anything as it worked when I took it to him. Eventually he said he would just charge me for the the part and fitting. I said if it's a part the needs fitting I will fit it myself as they have already had it a day and a half and got no where.

Firstly does anyone know of this problem? The door won't open from either side. The central locking makes the bormal noise but nothing happens. It seems a though something mechanical inside the lock has broken as nothing is obvious from the outside with the door card off. If I do have to get a new lock how do I get it out without opening the door. The bloke from the body shop reckoned you have to break then old one. But I can't see there not being a way to replacing a broken lock without opening the door.

From what seen from pictures on the Internet the doors are very similar across the VAG range.

Secondly where do I stand with these guys. They fixed a dent in the passenger door. Lock in that door stops working. Hardly a coincidence! Because I took it back 2 days later and now have taken it again, do I have a leg to stand on?

It could be as the bodyshop say that the lock is jammed internally on deadlock. Does it have front door locking pins and do they move up and down when unlocked/locked?

If the lock pin is moving it could be like a Fabia rear door that I saw the other day that wouldn't open from either handle. The cable that slots into the outer handle had been fitted too tightly, all I did to fix it was pull the outside door handle and pop the end of the cable out and seated it further down into its serrated slot - a 30 second job.

• Like 1

When trying to fix an intermittent door lock problem on one of my rear doors I was messing with the loom between the door and the pillar. The rubber bit pops off, then theres 3 connector blocks inside.

I was lubing them up with loads of dielectric grease, and I guess I put too much on. The door refused to unlock from inside and outside handles. Using central locking i heard a noise but nothing. Pulling the pin up it just pulled it straight back down and was hard to pull up.

I removed the door loom again and slid in and out a few times and thank god it worked again. I actually had the door open when it was stuck locked so i couldn't even close it!

Not saying this is it, but if they took the door loom out it may be worth trying?

Unfortunately for the front passenger door I have no idea how you'd get to it to check if you can't open it

Sounds like a very similar problem. I have left the car locked up at work as the window left out so will have a go in the morning.

Fingers crossed its a simple fix! Pretty much the same scenario as the post in the link. Body shop take the handle off and tighten the cable too much.

• 2 years later...

Did you find a good soloution in the end? My door has done exactly the same now.

Same thing happened to my mates Lupo! I ended up with the whole inside door card of etc. etc. got no where without the thought of drilling etc. He did a bit of reseach and found that if you hit (firmly) with your hand the area on the door where the lock catch mech is it will shock the lock open (this worked for him). The reason was that the lock got stuck in the first place because of grit and lack of oil in the mech!!!! B)

Same thing happened to my mates Lupo! I ended up with the whole inside door card of etc. etc. got no where without the thought of drilling etc. He did a bit of reseach and found that if you hit (firmly) with your hand the area on the door where the lock catch mech is it will shock the lock open (this worked for him). The reason was that the lock got stuck in the first place because of grit and lack of oil in the mech!!!! B)

Yeah, i've bumped, pulled, clicked, shuddered and hit it to my heart's content :(

I might try feeding the straw of a wd40 can into the latch through the gap that's exposed when back door is open. I could get a coathangar onto it to try to budge it. Maybe some WD40 will clean any gunk away and spring it.

Edited by Wiltshire

• 1 year later...

HI I also have a fabia vrs 2004 with a O/S rear door stuck on lock! I have no idea how I can get to the catch as I cant open the door :wall: I was wondering Wiltshire if the WD40 trick worked as I was considering that myself ?