MarkT136Rapid

Briskodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Car:Roomster 1.9TDi No.3

Posted 06 March 2009 - 22:18

Hello All,

Just thought I would post this image of my Roomster 3, along with a picture of the new Yeti, both at very similar angles. Interesting comparison I think, especially since the Yeti isn't much longer than the Roomster.
Regards
MarkT136Rapid

Attached Files

#2 WeirdKerr

WeirdKerr

In a Seat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 22:26

interesting........

#3 steffo

steffo

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 March 2009 - 19:41

I was really looking forward to the Yeti coming out,the concept looked brilliant but the production version has lost a lot of the funkiness
Posted Image

#4 RapidRonnie

RapidRonnie

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts
  • Car:Rapid 1.2TSI (86) SE

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:48

Whilst they are very similar in length and they both have the Varioflex rear seating system I think Skoda have been quite clever to differentiate the two. The Yeti has a much better range of engines and a more upmarket interior (Superb style design/quality) and of course most versions are 4wd too.

Of course, the concept cars always look a bit wilder than the finished product when things such as safety regulations, manufacturing issues take over, but I quite like the exterior. Don't think the launch photos are doing it justice (wrong colour and wheels). However, the interior design/quality and the toys available could swing it for me. I'd be seriously interested in a Yeti in 18 months time maybe. I guess it will significantly undercut the Tiguan on price too - I specced up a 170 TDI-CR Tiguan on the VW website yesterday, £30,000! :eek:

#5 Decron

Decron

Back in the VAG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:03

It's going to be all about the price with these.

#6 fattybacon

fattybacon

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Car:Skoda Roomster 3

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:44

I wonder if they'll drop the Roomster Scout next year, since Yeti covers the rugged base, and replace it with a higher spec than the SE.. erm.. SEX?! (Getting back to the 1,2,3 differentiations).

#7 Decron

Decron

Back in the VAG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:52

It's not about covering the bases, it's about the concept. Scout has a different spec to the rest of the range and from what I can tell it's been a strong seller

#8 fattybacon

fattybacon

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Car:Skoda Roomster 3

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:19

Scout has a different spec to the rest of the range

I must admit I've not looked too closely at it, I presumed I couldn't afford it so ignored it. Plus the plastic bits, although hugely practical, don't float my boat.

I think I had the notion that 1 = S, 2 = SE and 3 = Scout plus plastic bits.

I need to look harder, I think, as SE seems to be much nearer a 3 than a 2.

BTW, Decron, it's your fault I'm here in the first place. I was there at Lenziegate on HUKD.

#9 Decron

Decron

Back in the VAG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 11:27

I must admit I've not looked too closely at it, I presumed I couldn't afford it so ignored it. Plus the plastic bits, although hugely practical, don't float my boat.

I think I had the notion that 1 = S, 2 = SE and 3 = Scout plus plastic bits.

I need to look harder, I think, as SE seems to be much nearer a 3 than a 2.

BTW, Decron, it's your fault I'm here in the first place. I was there at Lenziegate on HUKD.

The Scout has ESP as standard where as the 3 has cruise and the sunroof. If you don't mind not having the roof then the Scout is better value fractionally. You can probably get a new one for about £13k if you find a dealer willing to do a deal or a demo one for about £10k. It's a lot of car for the money especially if you compare it to the Ford/Vauxhall/Renault alternative

As you can see there are just 4 of us here.... :thumbup: It took the mods a while but they banned him about a week ago :rolleyes:

Hope you enjoy the site :D

#10 bahnstormer vrs

bahnstormer vrs

Briskodian

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts
  • Car:Kevin - a Tangerine Yeti CR140 4x4 DSG with Wings from Shark Performance

Posted 09 March 2009 - 13:17

Roomster vs Yeti - completely different animals (excuse the pun) and thus IMHO will appeal to differing buyers.

Roomster is a small MPV/Estate whereas yeti is a medium sized SUV/4x4. They are well separated by price with the most expensive Roomster being c. £13,500 and the cheapest Yeti being c. £18,500. A typical buyer of Yeti might well be a Roomster owner stepping up to something slightly bigger.

All credit to Skoda in getting the Yeti into production and VW should be afraid with the Tiguan cost £3-£4,000 model by model more! :thumbup: :)

#11 VRStu

VRStu

Txt Spk Police

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,194 posts
  • Car:MY11 Audi S3 Sportback S-Tronic

Posted 09 March 2009 - 13:20

I'm not 100% sure as we couldn't get that close to it at the motor show but it looked to me as though the Yeti was on the A5 platform al'a Golf and Octavia etc.

#12 Stylophone

Stylophone

Briskodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 13:25

I'm not 100% sure as we couldn't get that close to it at the motor show but it looked to me as though the Yeti was on the A5 platform al'a Golf and Octavia etc.

Yeah that would seem right.

The interior is a step up too.

#13 bahnstormer vrs

bahnstormer vrs

Briskodian

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 14:09

Correct; it's a clone of the VW Tiguan.

There are a whole bundle of photos in this thread;- http://briskoda.net/...170-4x4/135865/

#14 bryan

bryan

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 14:25

Roomster vs Yeti - completely different animals (excuse the pun) and thus IMHO will appeal to differing buyers.

Roomster is a small MPV/Estate whereas yeti is a medium sized SUV/4x4. They are well separated by price with the most expensive Roomster being c. £13,500 and the cheapest Yeti being c. £18,500. A typical buyer of Yeti might well be a Roomster owner stepping up to something slightly bigger.

All credit to Skoda in getting the Yeti into production and VW should be afraid with the Tiguan cost £3-£4,000 model by model more! :thumbup: :)

Several reports I have seen said the the Yeti is expected to start at about £13,000. Where are you getting the £18,500 figure from? The Tiguan starts at £18,640, If you are right about the Yeti being at least £3,000 cheaper than the Tiguan then the starting price will be nearer £15,500, at £4,000 cheaper then it will be £14,500, so cant see how you came up with the £18,500 figure :confused:

#15 The PM

The PM

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Car:Golf Estate 1.6TDi DSG - ex Roomster 1.9TDi

Posted 09 March 2009 - 18:33

And people call the Roomie ugly... or am I the only one who thinks the Yeti on ugly son-of-a-b***h!

#16 RapidRonnie

RapidRonnie

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 20:44

Correct; it's a clone of the VW Tiguan.

There are a whole bundle of photos in this thread;- http://briskoda.net/...170-4x4/135865/

According to Skoda it's not a clone of the Tiguan as the Tiguan platform was too expensive. I believe the two have a different wheelbase, so the platform can't be the same.

I would expect the cheapest Yeti to be roughly the same price as the most expensive Roomster models - about £13k.

#17 Marko3

Marko3

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Car:Yeti 1.2TSI + Octavia Mk1b 1.8T

Posted 15 March 2009 - 12:05

Roomster is a small MPV/Estate whereas yeti is a medium sized SUV/4x4.

I've read somewhere that Yeti is about 4m in length. I wouldn't call that "medium sized". "Small" is better.

Whereas, Roomster is 4.25m (in line with VW Golf and Golf Plus), and VW Tiguan (the real mid-sized SUV) is 4.42m.

#18 bahnstormer vrs

bahnstormer vrs

Briskodian

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 18:40

I've read somewhere that Yeti is about 4m in length. I wouldn't call that "medium sized". "Small" is better.

Whereas, Roomster is 4.25m (in line with VW Golf and Golf Plus), and VW Tiguan (the real mid-sized SUV) is 4.42m.

Sorry; but we are both wrong.:o

Yeti is 4.2m as stated in the 'What in Yeti?' paragraph on this page from Skoda's website;- ?koda Auto - Geneva 2009

Edited by bahnstormer vrs, 15 March 2009 - 18:54.

#19 Marko3

Marko3

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:46

Yeti is 4.2m as stated in the 'What in Yeti?' paragraph on this page from Skoda's website;- ?koda Auto - Geneva 2009

Good link :thumbup:

Those 20cm more make Yeti much more practical, and useful, car. Although, it will be interesting to see how spacious it is, since Roomster is a champion of spaciousness. Hence its name :rolleyes:

#20 RapidRonnie

RapidRonnie

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 15:27

Looks much better in red than the launch car:

http://img25.imagesh.../5831/yetia.jpg

#21 Marko3

Marko3

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 19:51

Looks large on the road... or the camera has wide-angle lenses :D

#22 RapidRonnie

RapidRonnie

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:08

More Yeti news!

Skoda are very confident in the cars off road abilities: "The vehicle is fantastic both on and off road, either with front-wheel drive or in its 4x4 version (many of its competitors are nowhere near so good)."

More here: ?koda Auto - Geneva 2009 - Yeti is our interpretation of a modern SUV

Rumours say the Yeti should be priced similar to the Octavia, with top versions costing similar to the Octavia Scout.

#23 Decron

Decron

Back in the VAG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 17:06

That will make it well priced for what it is then

#24 steffo

steffo

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 19:14

Wonder what percentage of sales will be 4X4?
I think I would stick with the 2 wheel-drive myself.I do like it in Red though:thumbup:

#25 bahnstormer vrs

bahnstormer vrs

Briskodian

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 11:58

Might be tempted by a Yeti 4x4 170CR to replace my Octavia vRS. :cool:

#26 bahnstormer vrs

bahnstormer vrs

Briskodian

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 14:32

First Road test of the Yeti by a UK magazine is here;- Skoda Yeti | First Drives | Car Reviews | Auto Express

#27 clinkham

clinkham

Briskodian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Car:59reg Roomster 1.9tdi SE and 2003 Astra LPG

Posted 01 October 2009 - 23:14

Hi, nearly a new Skoda owner here. Been mulling over getting a Roomster - new or ex-demo - for 18 months. Was planning a trip to the dealers next week, :)but 'expert' pal in the pub has pricked
my balloon by suggesting the Roomster may be discontinued now that the (alledgedly) similar sized Yeti has arrived.:eek:
Don't want to upset anyone or be the cause of of negative rumours, but having made a bad decision on my last car purchase, for peace of mind I need to check out whether this guy has a point.:confused:
Any ideas guys?

#28 Decron

Decron

Back in the VAG

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 23:55

Hi, nearly a new Skoda owner here. Been mulling over getting a Roomster - new or ex-demo - for 18 months. Was planning a trip to the dealers next week, :)but 'expert' pal in the pub has pricked
my balloon by suggesting the Roomster may be discontinued now that the (alledgedly) similar sized Yeti has arrived.:eek:
Don't want to upset anyone or be the cause of of negative rumours, but having made a bad decision on my last car purchase, for peace of mind I need to check out whether this guy has a point.:confused:
Any ideas guys?

Does it matter if it is discontinued?

It's still the same car. It won't change the value of it by anything noticable so why worry?

#29 bahnstormer vrs

bahnstormer vrs

Briskodian

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,404 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 07:26

Any ideas guys?

Welcome to Briskoda. :thumbup:

Well; what a load of twaddle; that's what you get for discussing cars down the pub; how much had your 'expert' pal had to drink? Lets look at a few basic facts;

1. Roomster is based on the Fabia, Polo chassis (well with a bit of Octavia at the back) whereas the Yeti is totally based on the Octavia, Golf, Leon chassis/floorpan.
2. Yeti IS the bigger of the two; there may be only a few mm difference in length but that's where it ends.
3. They are set and aimed at two different market sectors with engine ranges, equipment and price differing quite noticeably. Can you get a £9,000 Yeti or would you see a £22,500 Roomster?

Overall, Roomster since its launch a couple of years ago, has sold pretty well and has established itself in the market, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a nip/tuck facelift in the pipeline for 2011/12 but IMHO Roomster is here to stay! :D :)

NOW: what was that plan of yours? Oh yes; dealer visit next week - go on do it; you know it will make sense. ;)

#30 Broomster

Broomster

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
  • Car:Roomster 3 1.9TDI

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:30

Any ideas guys?

Yes, ignore the **** artist in the pub.

The mini-MPV market (which the Roomster is in, along with Vauxhall Merivas, Nissan Notes, etc) is a totally different market to Urban 4X4 "sports utility" vehicles like the Yeti, RAV4, etc are in. The price range for the Yeti is a class above as well.

I expect a new roomster will be out soon, but its a very popular class of vehicle and uniquely practical. The Yeti carries about .5 tonnes of waste metal that most road users will never need and has no more luggage space, but it does look awfy cool.

But I love my Roomster quirky looks and car/van/bus/intercontinental versatility. Its like owning three cars at the same time and they all fit in my garage.

0 User(s) reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users