Roomster compared to the Yeti

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, nearly a new Skoda owner here. Been mulling over getting a Roomster - new or ex-demo - for 18 months. Was planning a trip to the dealers next week, :)but 'expert' pal in the pub has pricked

my balloon by suggesting the Roomster may be discontinued now that the (alledgedly) similar sized Yeti has arrived.:eek:

Don't want to upset anyone or be the cause of of negative rumours, but having made a bad decision on my last car purchase, for peace of mind I need to check out whether this guy has a point.:confused:

Any ideas guys?

Hi, nearly a new Skoda owner here. Been mulling over getting a Roomster - new or ex-demo - for 18 months. Was planning a trip to the dealers next week, :)but 'expert' pal in the pub has pricked

my balloon by suggesting the Roomster may be discontinued now that the (alledgedly) similar sized Yeti has arrived.:eek:

Don't want to upset anyone or be the cause of of negative rumours, but having made a bad decision on my last car purchase, for peace of mind I need to check out whether this guy has a point.:confused:

Any ideas guys?

Does it matter if it is discontinued?

It's still the same car. It won't change the value of it by anything noticable so why worry?

Any ideas guys?

Welcome to Briskoda. :thumbup:

Well; what a load of twaddle; that's what you get for discussing cars down the pub; how much had your 'expert' pal had to drink? Lets look at a few basic facts;

1. Roomster is based on the Fabia, Polo chassis (well with a bit of Octavia at the back) whereas the Yeti is totally based on the Octavia, Golf, Leon chassis/floorpan.

2. Yeti IS the bigger of the two; there may be only a few mm difference in length but that's where it ends.

3. They are set and aimed at two different market sectors with engine ranges, equipment and price differing quite noticeably. Can you get a £9,000 Yeti or would you see a £22,500 Roomster?

Overall, Roomster since its launch a couple of years ago, has sold pretty well and has established itself in the market, I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a nip/tuck facelift in the pipeline for 2011/12 but IMHO Roomster is here to stay! :D:)

NOW: what was that plan of yours? Oh yes; dealer visit next week - go on do it; you know it will make sense. ;)

Any ideas guys?

Yes, ignore the **** artist in the pub.

The mini-MPV market (which the Roomster is in, along with Vauxhall Merivas, Nissan Notes, etc) is a totally different market to Urban 4X4 "sports utility" vehicles like the Yeti, RAV4, etc are in. The price range for the Yeti is a class above as well.

I expect a new roomster will be out soon, but its a very popular class of vehicle and uniquely practical. The Yeti carries about .5 tonnes of waste metal that most road users will never need and has no more luggage space, but it does look awfy cool.

But I love my Roomster quirky looks and car/van/bus/intercontinental versatility. Its like owning three cars at the same time and they all fit in my garage.

Thanks for the reassurance, Broomster, bahnstormer vrs, Decron. Will start a trawl through the stocklists for a Roomster 3 1.9 with roof glass and and a good colour (or one her in doors approves of). Anyone fancy a 2 ltr Hdi Peugeot 206 Quicksilver SW 44k miles?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reassurance, Broomster, bahnstormer vrs, Decron. Will start a trawl through the stocklists for a Roomster 3 1.9 with roof glass and and a good colour (or one her in doors approves of). Anyone fancy a 2 ltr Hdi Peugeot 206 Quicksilver SW 44k miles?

Thanks again!

Decisions decisions!! Been to the dealers - top spec Roomster cost almost = a moderately spec'd Yeti 2w drive. Modern engine and new model. I'll have to think about it.

Decisions decisions!! Been to the dealers - top spec Roomster cost almost = a moderately spec'd Yeti 2w drive. Modern engine and new model. I'll have to think about it.

I'd take the Yeti.

My current car is a Roomster, but despite their similar size I feel the Yeti is on a different level quality wise. If you're looking at petrols then I reckon the 1.2TSI will be nicer to drive too, despite a slightly slower 0-60 time than the Roomster 1.6.

I do love my Roomster, but will be looking to upgrade it to a Yeti sometime in the next couple of years.

I'd take the Yeti.

My current car is a Roomster, but despite their similar size I feel the Yeti is on a different level quality wise. If you're looking at petrols then I reckon the 1.2TSI will be nicer to drive too, despite a slightly slower 0-60 time than the Roomster 1.6.

I do love my Roomster, but will be looking to upgrade it to a Yeti sometime in the next couple of years.

I must say, a 2WD verion of a 4WD (and a small capacity petrol one at that) strikes me as being like a camel with a fake hump. It looks the part but it wont survive in the desert and it eats a lot. A mule wont survive in the desert either, but it will carry as much and eat a lot less. I assume you dont live near a desert? :)

To me the compact size with load capacity, pulling power, low running costs and economy was the driver for choosing a diesel MPV. The Roomy just happened to fit the bill and drive better than the rest. The range (575+ on a tank), effortless high gear cruise (even up hills) and motorway economy mean I would never consider a petrol version, and now I have a trip computer, cruise control and parking sensors you would have to shoot me before I would give them up. Panorama roof is less of a necessity though.

I would have liked the new diesel engine and smarter trim, but instead I have one more year under warranty and then I am looking at chipping the 1.9 PD (150bhp and 240 ft/lbs more than makes up for it) and getting a leather kit.

My advice would be to look for pre-registered R3's on a 09 plate. You should get a great discount for a nearly new car and wipe out half of the initial depreciation. Longevity and reliability are not an issue. Depreciation is average, and although a Yeti may retain better resale value overall, I would suspect a low spec one without 4WD and diesel would be less desirable.

You can't compare them. The Roomster is an excellent MPV while the Yeti is a rather ordinary looking 4X4 with a rear end that looks like a box with windows. Then the normally attractive Skoda front has been ruined by those huge ugly spot or fog lights.

2 wheel drive versions would be even worse because they still look like 4X4s.

My opinion is that the Yeti is best left alone unless you have a real need for an off-road vehicle.

I'd call that a downgrade

You can't compare them. The Roomster is an excellent MPV while the Yeti is a rather ordinary looking 4X4 with a rear end that looks like a box with windows. Then the normally attractive Skoda front has been ruined by those huge ugly spot or fog lights.

2 wheel drive versions would be even worse because they still look like 4X4s.

My opinion is that the Yeti is best left alone unless you have a real need for an off-road vehicle.

I'd call that a downgrade

No no, you're wrong!

To be honest, I do actually prefer the looks of the Roomster to the Yeti... But the Yeti has the same flexible interior as the Roomster but interior build quality/interior design is on a different level, and I expect overall refinement to be too.

The Yeti also has a much more modern range of engines (2wd is also available on the 110TDI) and Skoda have said they expect the 2wd version to sell best (not sure I believe them on that, but anyway...)

The petrol Yeti 1.2TSI should also return 45MPG and deliver lower emissions that the 1.6 Roomster too.

As I said before, I do love my Roomster and it is cheaper than the Yeti, but overall I feel the Yeti will be a better car.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've got the best of both worlds wifes Fabia Auto Estate & a Jeep Patriot 2 litre Diesel with 6 speed man Box.The engine is VW , same as Skoda uses. I looked at the Yeti nice !! but a little narrow, small boot area , ride height too high for me, looks a little top heavy. AND £22,000 for the top of the range ....Its a Skoda....:rotz:

• 4 weeks later...

We've just opted for a Roomster rather than a Yeti, the thing that swung it for us is the rear legroom as we have two rear facing child seats to fit in.

The Roomster has an extra 100mm between the front and rear wheels over the Yeti (and the Octavia) which does make a noticeable difference in terms of rear legroom.

The Roomster has an extra 100mm between the front and rear wheels over the Yeti (and the Octavia) which does make a noticeable difference in terms of rear legroom.

It's actually 39 mm extra in the wheel base, though 105 mm LESS in the track. The Roomster does have a bigger boot though (450 litres vs 416 for the Yeti) so is probably better suited for people with young families and the attendant paraphernalia.

It does seem a pity that they don't offer the Roomster with the 140 TDi CR engine as I'm sure it would extend the cars appeal.

It's actually 39 mm extra in the wheel base, though 105 mm LESS in the track. The Roomster does have a bigger boot though (450 litres vs 416 for the Yeti) so is probably better suited for people with young families and the attendant paraphernalia.

Is that Yeti figure with or without a spare wheel? And I can't see a figure for the Yeti with the seats out.

Stuart

Is that Yeti figure with or without a spare wheel? And I can't see a figure for the Yeti with the seats out.

Stuart

Without spare wheel. It's 322 with the spare wheel. Both according to Oct 09 brochure.

Rear seats removed, but with spare wheel, it's 1760 litres, which ought to be sufficient for most people who aren't moving house.

Without spare wheel. It's 322 with the spare wheel. Both according to Oct 09 brochure.

Rear seats removed, but with spare wheel, it's 1760 litres, which ought to be sufficient for most people who aren't moving house.

Ouch! So with a spare, it's 450 vs 322, That's not good for families.

Stuart

It's actually 39 mm extra in the wheel base,

Thanks for the correction, was quoting from memory and couldn't remember exactly - knew it was 25xx to 26xx.

In terms of our requirements, the extra space in the Roomster makes the difference between being able to comfortably fit the car seat behind the driver. The other option which easily met the requirements was the Superb, but that was really a bit too big for what we were looking for.

From looking at both, the Yeti does seem to be going a bit more upmarket - the Roomster seems a bit more utilitarian, and certainly we were quite taken with the Yeti, purely our issue with the car seat.

• 1 month later...

Ouch! So with a spare, it's 450 vs 322, That's not good for families.

Stuart

That's not much bigger than the Fabia II hatchback with full size spare wheel which is 300 litres and the Fabia II estate is 480 litres which is bigger than a Honda Accord estate or Mazda 6 estate (and probably as big if not bigger than many 'bigger' cars)

So Fabia II estate perfect for families, also with lower running costs. If you want a bit of extra height you can go for the Fabia Scout.

Edited by fabia55

That's not much bigger than the Fabia II hatchback with full size spare wheel which is 300 litres and the Fabia II estate is 480 litres which is bigger than a Honda Accord estate or Mazda 6 estate (and probably as big if not bigger than many 'bigger' cars)

So Fabia II estate perfect for families, also with lower running costs. If you want a bit of extra height you can go for the Fabia Scout.

Its all about the shape. I had a Mk4 Golf that despite a smaller boot on paper could carry a Drumkit far better than the Mk4 Astra estate it replaced. The Fabia will also have very poor rear legroom in comparison. The Roomster is far bigger overall inside and far more flexible thanks to the adjustable/removable seating (If you move the rear seats forward to where they are in the Fabia the boot is far bigger and a far deeper shape. Makes the fabia estate look poor value in comparison especially as the running cost differences are negligable (There have been other threads about this). The only downside is the boot floor isn't flat to the loading hatch.

Its all about the shape. I had a Mk4 Golf that despite a smaller boot on paper could carry a Drumkit far better than the Mk4 Astra estate it replaced. The Fabia will also have very poor rear legroom in comparison. The Roomster is far bigger overall inside and far more flexible thanks to the adjustable/removable seating (If you move the rear seats forward to where they are in the Fabia the boot is far bigger and a far deeper shape. Makes the fabia estate look poor value in comparison especially as the running cost differences are negligable (There have been other threads about this). The only downside is the boot floor isn't flat to the loading hatch.

i totally agree it's also about the shape bu having said that the Fabia boot's shape isn't awkward and deep enough.

Back to the question roomster vs yeti, i'd go for the yeti as i personally think the roomster looks like two separate cars joined together, the body lines just doesn't match.