Engine vibration

• 1 month later...

I hear a noise between 1200 and 1500,it's a very different noise,but it's diesel specific,it was present on my old Octavia too.I don't have any vibration tho.

LE : Actually the noise of my car is after i engage the first gear,just when the clutch is slipping to move the car from place.

Edited by infoschumi

Mine vibrates a bit when cold but a few diesels i have owned in the past also do this

Normal!

Superb II doesn't have contra-balancing shafts on none of it's diesel engines.

Passat & Audi have contra-balancing shafts on it's 2.0l diesel engines so that's why people (and journalists) say that the 2.0l engine is smoother & has less vibrations in Passat & A4 than in Superb II.

I'm also surprised that Skoda did such cost saving on it's top model :thumbdwn:.

Normal!

Superb II doesn't have contra-balancing shafts on none of it's diesel engines.

Passat & Audi have contra-balancing shafts on it's 2.0l diesel engines so that's why people (and journalists) say that the 2.0l engine is smoother & has less vibrations in Passat & A4 than in Superb II.

I'm also surprised that Skoda did such cost saving on it's top model :thumbdwn:.

@ core

Where do you find the information on the "contra-balancing shafts"? I thought it was the new 140 BHP CR model that had them but not the new 110 BHP CR (In the new VW Golf)?

>Superb II doesn't have contra-balancing shafts on none of it's diesel engines.

Rubbish!

The 2.0 TDI 170BHP CR diesel in my Superb2 certainly has the balance shafts. It was one of the things I looked at when I looked at the service manual.

All in-line 4 cylinder engines are inherently unbalanced.

I.E. No matter how carefully you design it and balance in the internal components, there is an unavoidable asymmetry in the accelerations of two pistons at TDC W.R.T. the two pistons at BDC. This means that the accelerations of the pistons do not exactly cancel out

The effect is "2nd order" - I.E. it is a vibration at twice engine speed.

There is a practical limit of around 2 litres. Below this and you can overcome the problem by means of good engine mount design. Above this, you can't.

(Horizontally opposed and 6 cylinder in-line engines do not suffer from this problem - when it comes to V engines, engine balance starts to get very complex.)

One method of overcoming this problem is to add two extra shafts. This shafts are carefully placed and deliberately made unbalanced. They have to be driven at twice engines speed. By careful phasing it can be arranged for the vibrations from these shafts to cancel out the vibrations from the engine.

I know that the 170 CR 2.0 TDI has these balance shafts. I don't know about other models.

>Superb II doesn't have contra-balancing shafts on none of it's diesel engines.

Rubbish!

The 2.0 TDI 170BHP CR diesel in my Superb2 certainly has the balance shafts. It was one of the things I looked at when I looked at the service manual.

Are you 100% sure.

I also have service manual for the 2.0 CR TDI engine (just for the engine not the Superb version of this engine) which says that the balancing shaft (located in the oil pan) are an optional add on.

On ETKA there are no balancing shafts parts visible, nor is there some indication that they exist for the Superb. Also I drove the A4 with the 2.0 CR TDi engine and it was much smother in the lower RPM range than the same engine in Superb.

1) I have seen the service manual specific to my car and they are mentioned there there are two of them and, from memory, they are not in the oil pan either.

2) The huge pile of bumf I was given before i bought the car mentions them. It was this specifically which caused me to go look them up.

3) Several reviewers have mentioned them. They must have got the information from somewhere.

4) One of the biggest complaints I have with my Superb is how difficult it is to tell that the engine is going. There's almost no vibration or noise - especially at lower RPMs. You HAVE to look at the tacho to see if the engine is actually moving and to judge gear changes.

Beyond the above - no. I am not absolutely certain. You can't see anything in my Engine bay. If the engine ever needs to be removed for any reason - then I will confirm it absolutely. Until then all I have to go on is the above.

A.

Coming from a 6 cyl diesel i find the 170 to be extremely rough , its very quiet but certainly not smooth

1) I have seen the service manual specific to my car and they are mentioned there there are two of them and, from memory, they are not in the oil pan either.

2) The huge pile of bumf I was given before i bought the car mentions them. It was this specifically which caused me to go look them up.

3) Several reviewers have mentioned them. They must have got the information from somewhere.

4) One of the biggest complaints I have with my Superb is how difficult it is to tell that the engine is going. There's almost no vibration or noise - especially at lower RPMs. You HAVE to look at the tacho to see if the engine is actually moving and to judge gear changes.

Beyond the above - no. I am not absolutely certain. You can't see anything in my Engine bay. If the engine ever needs to be removed for any reason - then I will confirm it absolutely. Until then all I have to go on is the above.

A.

All petrol engines in Superb have balancing shaft which are located in the engine block. The 1.4 and especial 1.8TSI have almost no vibrations (I've driven them so I speak from experience).

We are talking here about the 2.0 TDI CR which in case that it has balancing shafts they are 100% located in the oil pan. Attached is a photo as a demonstration how they look like if present.

28636.attach

We are talking here about the 2.0 TDI CR which in case that it has balancing shafts they are 100% located in the oil pan. Attached is a photo as a demonstration how they look like if present.

The image shows the new 105 kW (140 bhp) CR 2.0 l diesel, not the 125 kW (170 bhp) CR 2.0 l diesel which is in the Superb. The new 140 bhp CR diesels are not yet availabe for the Superb, but available for the VW Golf. Do you have a similar drawing of the 170 bhp version? That would be interesting!

Lower is a demonstration of the balancing shaft of the 2.0 TDI PD (not CR) 125kW engine, but it's identical to the CR version. The text says that the balancing shafts are only used in Passat and in longitudinal applications (A4, A6, etc.).

28637.attach

I am also talking about the 170HP CR Diesel engine - and in my one there is pretty much zero vibration. You don't even know the engine is there until you get near the red line.

I tried my 170 CR stationary for you this evening. I carefully covered the rev range from 1000 to 1500 RPM when stationary. At no point was there any signficant change or vibration. So whatever it is, it does not seem to afflict all 170 CRs.

I'm sorry I can't be more help than this.

• 1 month later...

I am sure there is no problem regarding that contra-balancing shaft,even if it exists or it doesn't.It looks like my car has the same problem now.About 2-3 days ago I heard a strange noise and only now I realised it's the noise that CHINCHILLA described.It's between 1100/1200 and 1500 rpm.After about 1550-1600 rpm the vibration goes off.I am very sure there is a problem,the noise wasn't there before.I have around 14.000km.

I jumped in a loan car Vectra last night and this has a murmer @ 1100 rpm, and the one I had before the Superb also suffered from it, both CDTi 150's, I wonder if something on the emissions side causes it, the average driver including my mate misses it altogether, but I can hear it and feel it, btw, both were loan cars and both had the service light on on the dash.

Well,I forgot to tell you that the first time when I heard the noise I had a look under the car because it seemed to me that the noise/vibration is coming from the exhaust.I also have some strange noise when I hit a bump,it's a very strong noise coming from the front wheels.And the second noise can be heard stationary when I turn the steering wheel clockwise and then very fast counter-clockwise.Same noise can be heard when I take a turn at high speed,I brake very hard or I accelerate hard(bushes?).Maybe all these noises are related to each other.

• 1 month later...

Hi, have just had my first 18500 service completed on my 170 CR Octavia vRS and since it has come back from the dealer I have had exactly the same problem that you are describing. It has been smooth as silk for 18000 odd miles but now feels as rough as a badgers with a nasty vibration around the 1200-1500 rpm mark both stationary out of gear and on the move (sounds like exhaust baffle or shield). I too have heard strange loud metallic pinging sounds recently from the front. Dealer has had a quick look but to no avail. Going back next week for a full inspection. Did you have any joy fixing yours?????