19"wheels and low superb

With the odd exception, why would do what chavs do to their Corsa's on a car that has a punch of class next to a proper prestige car like a BMW 5 or a E Class Merc?

It's being different, individualism, call it what you will

• 4 weeks later...

/bump

Going to buy some rims and tyres next summer, thinking of Vredestein Ultrac Cento ( 225/40r18 ) or Fulda SportControl ( 225/40r18 )

The problem is that which ones would be quieter? I've heard a lot of good from Vredestein tyres, but a lot of good from Fulda's too.

Also, how much does lowering -30mm affect the ride quality? I go abroad a lot with my car every summer, and the trunk is quite packed with clothes and other stuff.

The rims should not be more than one or maximum two inch bigger than the brake needs. Otherwise it has something strange in it. See the small looking 16" brake with the 19" rims? It is lost. Since the brake is a strong hint to the actual power of the car, everybody with a little knowledge sees that this car hasnt got the power for 19" wheels.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As above...some lovely cars here.

I will try to post a photo or two of my (hopefully) new to me Superb Estate. A 3.6 Embrach edition (Swiss dealer edition). It rides on 19's and has lowered/uprated suspension mods plus a few other bits and bobs. Subtle and very nice IMHO of course :)

Dave

I also fancy lowering and moving to 18'' - preferably Lunas.

Can anyone tell me what the OEM sport suspension is lowering by ? Is it -20 mm ?

Also, for a -20mm, do you need to change the stock shocks ? In theory if not changing them, then the shocks will works being compressed by exactly 20mm versus their original position. 

Of course there are issues, which if you study vehicle suspension dynamics, you would understand. You will alter the roll centre of the car, and also the wheel geometry. It may look meaner and sporty, but you are taking an average handling car, and making its ride even

poorer. This will be aggravated by even wider wheels. As far as I am aware, you cannot buy a roll centre correction kit for a Superb. I have lowered my Impreza , by 30mm, and the roll centre kit transformed the ride.

Of course, there is no comparison between the handling and poise of an Impreza and the Superb.

The aim is not to convert the Superb into a WRC car, but to improve the roll in the fast turns and under steer into hair pins.

Lower suspension and lower profile tires should improve roll.

The lower center of gravity should help improve the nose-heavy handling in the hair pins.

But it doesn't , just as it doesn't on an Impreza. That is why you have to use a correction kit, to extend the track rods. This is the

classic error of folks who lower their cars, which changes all the wheel geometry angles, and actually raises the roll centre. The

reason that you probably haven't noticed is that 18 or 19 inch wheels mask the problem, with their crashy ride. When I lowered the

Impreza, the handling was no better, until I corrected the steering geometry. Just google roll centre dynamics, as I am no physicist to explain it in technical terms. Thicker sway bars are what stops body roll.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Nope!

Lowerd 40 mm and 19" wheels.

0ad33f3fbc3d103f52ddb6e76e90569e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you lowered only the front of the car?

Does h&r springs lower the car evenly, i mean that will the front be still higher than the rear? Cap between centerhub and fender is bigger in front.

Edited by Meikkis

Both front and rear is lowerd but the rear has a bigger gap.

Look at a standard Superb and you will see the difference. 2ca02caccbf0578bdbe2e26a53ee0fad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote

Are they 19s and how much is it lowered by

I have 2011 superb combi, mine has 1,5cm bigger gap in front. Next week i will install h&r 40mm springs and i was just wondering will it still be bigger gap in front after the installation.

Are you saying that, you had bigger gap in rear with standard springs?

Edited by Meikkis

I gotta ask this as I keep being tempted!

Do 20" wheels fit? If so, what size tyres?

I keep having filthy thoughts about a set of 20" bentley alloys :)

Edited by Pessimal

If the rolling diameter stays the same, and the ET works out (distance from inner mating face of alloy to hub) then why not? Elastic band tyres though ;)

• Like 1