Octavia 1 - Replacing Door Latch Microswitch

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I need to replace the rear left lock mechanism.

I bought it for 35€ on ebay.

But I have a doubt, do i really need to remove the cover of the door handle to remove the lock mechanism? :

21. The outer handle is connected to the door lock module by a small cable (red arrow in picture below). The end of the cable is secured to the handle by a small plastic tab (yellow arrow in picture below) which fits into a threaded groove.

Thanks,

• 1 month later...

Thread revival! 

Yesterday morning I hastened myself to work and once the frost was scraped off, went to drive off. I made the fatal error of pressing the driver's electric window to prevent the interior misting up too quickly and there was a loud crack. Eventually the window freed and lowered. It then would only raise up 1 inch. I could hear bits of plastic dropping inside the door card and with some gentle cajoling managed to get the window closed. Kind of.

The fix I know is simple, however i've hit a snag in removing the door card;

VRSFontdoorpanelremoval10.jpg

This bit came off easily. However

VRSFontdoorpanelremoval9.jpg

This panel will not shift. At all. The plastic is bending in the extreme and trying to use a screwdriver is chewing up the door card. Have I missed anything in the removal of this piece? Is there anything else other than the rubber inner grip holding this assembly?

Cheers
Mark

Hi,

I need to replace the rear left lock mechanism.

I bought it for 35€ on ebay.

But I have a doubt, do i really need to remove the cover of the door handle to remove the lock mechanism? :

21. The outer handle is connected to the door lock module by a small cable (red arrow in picture below). The end of the cable is secured to the handle by a small plastic tab (yellow arrow in picture below) which fits into a threaded groove.

Thanks,

You don't need to remove the outer handle but only the small section next to handle as you can't remove lock mechanism without doing this as you can't see or get to the little cable that is connected between lock and handle and even if you blindly was lucky to unloop it you will certainly never be able to refit cable with handle in situ.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Thread revival!

Yesterday morning I hastened myself to work and once the frost was scraped off, went to drive off. I made the fatal error of pressing the driver's electric window to prevent the interior misting up too quickly and there was a loud crack. Eventually the window freed and lowered. It then would only raise up 1 inch. I could hear bits of plastic dropping inside the door card and with some gentle cajoling managed to get the window closed. Kind of.

The fix I know is simple, however i've hit a snag in removing the door card;

VRSFontdoorpanelremoval10.jpg

This bit came off easily. However

VRSFontdoorpanelremoval9.jpg

This panel will not shift. At all. The plastic is bending in the extreme and trying to use a screwdriver is chewing up the door card. Have I missed anything in the removal of this piece? Is there anything else other than the rubber inner grip holding this assembly?

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark that bit is tricky but not impossible. Did you first remove the small thin rubber section that slots into the grab handle. That needs to come out first else you won't be able to separate the top section. Looks like you did from your first pic. Then there is no other part or screws preventing you lifting it straight off. It is just clipped into 6 slots at the 4 corners. If you raise one side too high you will find you are bending the other clips and in effect causing them to lock tighter. Try to lift it equal. Or even lock back into place a try to prise up the tougher side first. 

Hope this helps

Sent from my Samsung S3

lower it at the front, to help release the catch at the back, or it will be harder to remove.

Read my post Luca that is what I said earlier. . Lol

That age thing coming out again. ....

Sent from my Samsung S3

lol, soz mark! was just a quickfire response

had to do my door motor yesterday again...!! flipping things got it down to about 30mins to do the whole thing now!

How does those locks working?

My passenger door microswich is not working,light is not working but the VCDS sees if the door is open or closed

On the rear door the VCDS shows it is closed all the time....same issue here?

lol, soz mark! was just a quickfire response

had to do my door motor yesterday again...!! flipping things got it down to about 30mins to do the whole thing now!

These doors are way to temperamental aren't they buddy.

Only last month I had to replace the rear drivers door complete loom as was not working with central locking remote.

As you say at least we get used to stripping the dam things down quickly lol.

Sent from my Samsung S3

Well this afternoon I set about trying to change my door mech as the d/s isn't working and is showing what appears to be the usual faults.

However, I wasn't even able to get the door card off due to being unable to seperate the door pin and the door card wouldn't release from the middle of the panel at all?

I was following the thread word by word upto that point and it wouldn't budge at all no matter what we tried. Am I missing something blindingly obvious here?

Also when I had finished unscrewing the panel, a white/beige grommet just fell out from I between the panel and door and I couldn't see where it came from. Anyone have any ideas of where it came from as I've now got a slight vibration rattle through the door card?

This is the grommet.

null_zps4141b8e2.jpg

null_zpsb5abcdbf.jpg

I HATE doing interior trim, its my biggest pet hate so I really don't enjoy doing this so any help will be gratefully accepted :)

Edited by Craig85

Well this afternoon I set about trying to change my door mech as the d/s isn't working and is showing what appears to be the usual faults.

However, I wasn't even able to get the door card off due to being unable to seperate the door pin and the door card wouldn't release from the middle of the panel at all?

I was following the thread word by word upto that point and it wouldn't budge at all no matter what we tried. Am I missing something blindingly obvious here?

Also when I had finished unscrewing the panel, a white/beige grommet just fell out from I between the panel and door and I couldn't see where it came from. Anyone have any ideas of where it came from as I've now got a slight vibration rattle through the door card?

This is the grommet.

null_zps4141b8e2.jpg

null_zpsb5abcdbf.jpg

I HATE doing interior trim, its my biggest pet hate so I really don't enjoy doing this so any help will be gratefully accepted :)

sorry to hear you are having issues

did you do this bit.

- unscrew the 3 screws (Phillips that are uncovered from the removal of the electric window multi switch panel. 

as sounds like the panel is still attached in the center section.

Oh and that plastic grommet funny you mention that as i had one drop out as well and have no clue where it was fitted. I have no rattles though leaving that piece off car.

sorry to hear you are having issues

did you do this bit.

- unscrew the 3 screws (Phillips that are uncovered from the removal of the electric window multi switch panel.

as sounds like the panel is still attached in the center section.

Oh and that plastic grommet funny you mention that as i had one drop out as well and have no clue where it was fitted. I have no rattles though leaving that piece off car.

Thanks for the response Bowders, yes those three screws were all out too. I had taken everything out apart from the door pin as couldn't see how to remove this and didn't want to cause damage.

The door card thought wouldn't separate from the door skin in the middle of the door card, just wouldn't move upwards at all but there were no screws or fixings attatched as it was freely moving outwards as was able to disconnect the door handle cable but it would not come apart.

I just really don't like doing any interior trim work other than changing seats, wish I'd noticed the issue when I looked at the car as would've tried to get them to rectify before collecting.

Yeah the grommet fell out an as couldn't get the door card off can't tell where it was located but I'm thinking it could be the cause of my rattle as only thing that hasn't gone back in??

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to why the door card won't come away and what the white grommet pictures above is as I'm going to my mates garage tomorrow morning to have another go at it so any advice on what to look for would be helpful as neither of us are overly up on the skoda vag setup yet.

I have looked on google and so on trying to find other links to removing it but there's not much that's clear and no more informative than the link on here.

Does anyone have any other suggestions as to why the door card won't come away and what the white grommet pictures above is as I'm going to my mates garage tomorrow morning to have another go at it so any advice on what to look for would be helpful as neither of us are overly up on the skoda vag setup yet.

I have looked on google and so on trying to find other links to removing it but there's not much that's clear and no more informative than the link on here.

So you can separate the door card outwards right and see no impinging items holding it. Is it just just at the top where it connects down the window. If yes then you may have to knock it upwards and outwards as it maybe just tight. It will separate it is tight as there are metal clips in the rubber seal. You could try rocking the panel left and right and pulling it upwards too. Just be careful not to pull any wires or bend the door pin. The door pin can be only removed when the top of the door panel is free.

Sent from my Samsung S3

So you can separate the door card outwards right and see no impinging items holding it. Is it just just at the top where it connects down the window. If yes then you may have to knock it upwards and outwards as it maybe just tight. It will separate it is tight as there are metal clips in the rubber seal. You could try rocking the panel left and right and pulling it upwards too. Just be careful not to pull any wires or bend the door pin. The door pin can be only removed when the top of the door panel is free.Sent from my Samsung S3

Yes that was right. The base of the door card was completely free and moving in and out from the door. I managed to get the front of the door card away from the door (under the tweeter area) and the back of the door card slightly away (door pin area) but the middle was stuck fast and was starting to look like it was stressing the front of the door card where you have the curved bit of trim round the mirror switch and handle :(

The door pin end was slightly loose but not clearing the top of the pin. That also clears up the door pin issue, I read it as it had to be removed to get the card off but I take it is meant as the door card has to be lifted up and away from it then?

I was using quite an amount of force on the card but at the same time was quite weary of breaking it and having to find a replacement if that happens.

If that's what it's going to take to get it off, more force and persuasion then that's what we shall try tomorrow and see where we go from there then.

I always find trim fights me which I think is another reason I really am not keen on doing it, every car I've ever had to remove door cards has been an absolute pig.

once you have removed all the screws the car will be attached along the window rubber guide channel (the the top) to the door handle pull mech, to the lower light unit (puddle light), alarm light this clips into the card, be careful when removing as you can break this easily, unattach when door card raised slightly or if you can before removal of car, and door pin.

if the car wont come away from the rubber, you need to try to push it up without ripping the wiring out when you do. Try carefully with the back of a hammer handle pushing up from the inside (by pulling the card away slightly) to the inner top of the card. This should work, try a few places a bit at a time till it comes. Don't pull too hard from th front side, as the piece where the handle is is a seperate part and can distort with the card.

They can be a pain if you dont know how, and even when you do they can still be a pain!

These doors are way to temperamental aren't they buddy.

Only last month I had to replace the rear drivers door complete loom as was not working with central locking remote.

As you say at least we get used to stripping the dam things down quickly lol.

Sent from my Samsung S3

i know, what a pain though!!

why cant they make them to last!!

Thanks for the advice, went at it again this morning when I got to my friends unit and start to finish with a few errors along the way got it done in just under 2 hours.

Door card was just tight in the groove and wasn't giving it enough force as it turned out.

The worst bit was the main loom plug onto the lock mech as I have never tackled the multiplies on the vag group so where I was trying to press the clip in and pulling I was actually making it tighter to separate than normal. Didn't realise you had to pull tab outwards slightly to get it to release. 25 mins of tugging, pulling and twisting and my mate came over with his screwdriver and said 2 seconds and ping was off!

The white grommet is now located back in its rightful place too which was over the silver locating lug on the centre screw on the 3 main screws behind the main handle so that's all back together nice and tight too.

Top guide gents and thanks for the advice as would've been a longer time faffing without it all :D