Octavia 1 - Replacing Door Latch Microswitch

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know this is an older thread, but could somone kindly tell me what the red and blue wires coresponed to when going to the microswitch?

The guy who done this how to thread said it doesnt matter which way they go round...is this correct?

Cheers.

I know this is an older thread, but could somone kindly tell me what the red and blue wires coresponed to when going to the microswitch?

The guy who done this how to thread said it doesnt matter which way they go round...is this correct?

Cheers.

That guy is me and yes does not matter, which is why i stated that, and my door lock/switch still works after 3 years.

cheers

• Like 1

Hi. I found this really hopeful and I am currently working on the micro-switch. When I tried to secure the new switch by two small holes in it, I was too close to the interior parts of the switch and it caused some damage. The switch doesn't work well anymore. Does anyone know the size of the two screws you need for this job? Can I use glue instead?

Thanks

Hi. I found this really hopeful and I am currently working on the micro-switch. When I tried to secure the new switch by two small holes in it, I was too close to the interior parts of the switch and it caused some damage. The switch doesn't work well anymore. Does anyone know the size of the two screws you need for this job? Can I use glue instead?

Thanks

I do not recomend you to use GLUE, with time it will fall off. Or you can use glue like epoxy and also screws.

Maybe you need some washers as spacers in order that the Microswitch is a little separated from the metal part.

About the screw size. My best advice it to go to a hobby shop were they sell Radio controlled airplanes and they usually carry small screws with allen head. Maybe a 2 mililimeter can work. Thay also sell safety nuts for does small screws

Good Luck

Edited by Turbo_Boss

I do not recomend you to use GLUE, with time it will fall off. Or you can use glue like epoxy and also screws.

Maybe you need some washers as spacers in order that the Microswitch is a little separated from the metal part.

About the screw size. My best advice it to go to a hobby shop were they sell Radio controlled airplanes and they usually carry small screws with allen head. Maybe a 2 mililimeter can work. Thay also sell safety nuts for does small screws

Good Luck

Agree with you there buddy

Glue will not hold the switch. The swtich should actually come with screws washers etc if not then should be available from same place the switch was purchasd.

if stuck I can get them

You shoud also screw lock the screw nuts together as my pics suggest

Hi Guys, I have a SKODA FABIA 2001 and the screws and lock constructions seems different. I am totally stuck at the last point. I cant take out the Key hole out. PLEASE HELP !!

Did you loosen the trox screw on the side of the door as per instructions. If not you will not get key lock out.

this section

19. Loosen (but do not completely remove) the retaining screw with a T20 Torx driver. The screw actually has a very small triple square head, but a T20 driver works perfectly. The retaining screw can be seen in the picture below.

Exteriorlockhandle2.jpg

20. Loosen the retaining screw enough so that the handle blank slides out of the door. (2 for the Skoda Octavia) The passenger's and driver's side pieces can be seen in the pictures below. On my car, the screws needed to be turned approximately 13-15 turns for the pieces to slide out. Also, you may need to pull out on the door handle slightly to allow each piece to slide completely out.

Exteriorlockhandle3.jpg

Exteriorlockhandle4.jpg

That guy is me and yes does not matter, which is why i stated that, and my door lock/switch still works after 3 years.

cheers

Ok thanks for the reply, just wanted to make sure before I started it....really helpful thread buy the way.

Just bought a Burgess switch off ebay so hope this works ok > http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Microswitch-V4-Plunger-Price-1-Each-/350593422437?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D2387943120414097934%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1017%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D350593422437%26#ht_1003wt_1037

Edited by vworks41

• 3 weeks later...

good news, and you know at least if you are not a great at soldering you won't be having to do it all again in six months!

On 28/10/2012 at 19:22, Bowders1 said:

My door latch repair still going strong.................

thats cos you can solder 

Edited by ColinD

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks a million fo rthis post... I dried my battery twice already forgetting to shut the lights or rear window defroster because the buzzer doesn't buzz when I open the door. I bought the car this way, the garage want 110-130 pounds to fix this (including the part).

I think i will try to go for it myself now... Just need to buy all this screwdrivers and tools .. :)

I will update on my success failure.

1 Question though before i begin - I saw in the service manual (http://skoda.workshop-manuals.com/octavia-mk2/index.php?id=401) warnings about the airbag system ... is there anything to be afraid of here ? do i need to disconnect the main battery like they say ?

-psag

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks a million fo rthis post... I dried my battery twice already forgetting to shut the lights or rear window defroster because the buzzer doesn't buzz when I open the door. I bought the car this way, the garage want 110-130 pounds to fix this (including the part).

I think i will try to go for it myself now... Just need to buy all this screwdrivers and tools .. :)

I will update on my success failure.

1 Question though before i begin - I saw in the service manual (http://skoda.workshop-manuals.com/octavia-mk2/index.php?id=401) warnings about the airbag system ... is there anything to be afraid of here ? do i need to disconnect the main battery like they say ?

-psag

No airbag system to worry about.

I did not disconnect battery as there is not much to cause issue as wires are shrouded in the plugs.

Sent from my Galaxy S3.

• 2 months later...

Obviously as you say right at the beginning: "..not for the faint hearted"!

BUT is a U/S cigarette lighter connected in any way with the problem you've tackled here? No I don't smoke, but use an electric tyre pump, which makes the socket pretty necessary.

• 4 weeks later...

the micro switch tells the car whether the door is open or not, if its not recognising the door is open or closed, it won't work the light accordingly.

Thx 4 the answer, but I have disconnect the left door micro switch and the lights still doesn't work on other doors and the trunk too.

To be exact, some times it does, some times it doesn't. :wonder:

Conclusion: Something else must be wrong too, not just the left micro switch.

Guess that all doors has their on switches :wall:

Here is the additional video to this tutorial (thanks @"dulepuzo") so the people can see with what they are dealing with.

This video is not in English, but I'm sure that everyone will get the point what is required to have a long-term solution.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=N_QruEFLLCc

Edited by mister8ight

• 2 weeks later...

would i be in anyway right in thinking that this might be the cause of the way my car occasionally decides to lock me in if i take my time about turning the key after getting in? like it doesnt know the door has been opened and the timer relocks.. bit of a PITA..