early results - mixing 2-stroke oil into derv

Basil

To get to the bottom of the worry that you might get accused of using red diesel in your tank, I went through this really long thread and pasted the relevant bits here. A Call to the UK oil supplier would add valuable info posted up here (go on someone!) : Freel2.com - View topic - 2-stroke oil and diesel

some quotes lifted

"same in Germany, as diesel fuel used by the farming-industry or in any household as fuel for their central heating is reduced in tax. So what they do to identify this "reduced tax fuel" is to color it red. Even the slightest hint of this read color in your diesel car tank will bring you in trouble with regard to tax evasion.

But 2-T oil is not tracable in your fuel at all and it has the same color as diesel. You should first fill in the 330 ccl of 2-T oil in your tank and then fill up with diesel" (Bas: this amount is for 70L derv - only 250cc for 50l fill)

"Out of interest, when your putting in the 2 stroke stuff have you used the stuff that has colour additive in it?

I was at my local autospares shop and they had some which had either red or orange additive which i presume would dye the diesel for "easy identification"

Wouldn't this leave it red for Mr Customs or Mr Dealer to see what had been added ?"

answer: "Don't you worry: the coloring of the 2-T oil has nothing to do with the coloring of tax free or tax reduced diesel fuel for farmers and the like. 300 cc of colored 2-T oil to the tank will have no effect at all on the color of the diesel fuel. Besides this, the chemical components of the 2-T oil coloring are absolutetly different from the coloring components of the tax free diesel"

"Yesterday I ordered 25 l. of mineral 2T oil with JASO TC spec. at 3,65 € / l. VAT incl.

Speaking with the representative of the oil company, I learned that apart from the colour additive there's some other stuff added to domestic fuel. (Unfortunately I forgot it's name Embarassed ).

The aim of this colourless additive is to make it possible to trace the use of decolourised red fuel, but it also means that if ever there are residues of red colouring agent found in your tank, (it seems to be possible to trace just 1 l. of domestic oil in a full tank), the analysis will proove that it's not because you drove on red diesel."

"The colourless additive is SY124 (solvent yellow 124)"

hope this adds useful info.....

Bas

Any chance of a video recording of the engine running with and without 2 stroke oil, Mr Bas? :)

Umm - the with is not a problem - the without is likely not ever gonna happen again unless I forget....:rofl:

You mean you don't have videos of your engine noise hanging around somewhere? ;) Damnit. A video of 'after' would be much appreciated though, if you're up for it :)

It's still noisy - given that I have a straight exhaust. The engine itself is deffo quieter than before but for a video to be useful, you really would have to have seen the before, with the video done under identical conditions.....

As an interesting aside, I've noticed that the SMF seems to be quieter and the pulses that I used to feel while cruising at 1,800rpm are all but gone...

Bas

well ive tried this and the results are as follows,

500ml in my 75l tank.

64mpg travelling to work and 66mpg travelling back.

engine is quiter and smoother already..... weird lol

car is 2005 2.0 16v tdi volvo s40 sport CR

Will report back with long term findings :thumbup:

Yamaha fan on the Freelander 2 site has posted this ...

Important News on the 2-Stroke Oil to diesel theme:

The International Automobil Association has issued an official statement in the Worldwide Fuel Charter in which they demand to increase the lubrication capabilities of todays diesel fuel from at present HFRR 460 um, or higher, to min. HFRR 400 um, or lesser. The reason is the increasingly reported break down of the high pressure diesel injection pums worldwide, and the unwillingness of the manufacturers to deal with the vast amount of warranty claims.

The Wordwide Fuel Charter has confirmed that the commercial diesel fuel even with the addition of the recommended dosis of 2-T oil STILL conforms to the DIN standard, however with a recognisable inmprovement of lubricating properties.

So we will see in the future here a developement in diesel fuel qualities.

YF

well ive tried this and the results are as follows,

500ml in my 75l tank.

64mpg travelling to work and 66mpg travelling back.

engine is quiter and smoother already..... weird lol

car is 2005 2.0 16v tdi volvo s40 sport CR

Will report back with long term findings :thumbup:

what mpg were you getting before the additive?

is it ok to try this with a Cat fitted.

If you look up the freelander thread, you need a low-ash 2-stroke oil if you have a cat and/or DPF- the actual % ash and spec designation are listed. Of course if you have no cat and no DPF then any old stuff will do :rofl:

I'm not a qualified (or unqualified) mechanic but I believe that the rattle is from the high-pressure PD injectors. They seem to like being lubed :rolleyes:

Interesting stuff, eh?

I tried this today after reading quite a lot about the amazing benefits.

Have done fifty miles and the engine is definitely quieter. The injector noise is much reduced on light throttle and tick over but not much difference on hard acceleration. The engine was smooth anyway as I have a remap and use Millers and have done the cage mod, so didn't find this as a dramatic change as some have claimed. Not easy to tell about fuel consumption in this short distance but got exactly the fuel consumption I would normally expect today so no noticeable benefit. No smoke reduction that I could tell, though it wasn't very smoky before. I could feel no performance gain either.

If this was proved to greatly increase the life of the injectors, I may consider using 2T oil all the time but don't think I'll bother otherwise. Might pour some in when I come to sell the car!!

Interested to hear anyone elses views on this.

As others have said, everyone tries this at their own risk, but I can't see what could go wrong.

(famous last words???)

By the way, the stuff I used was Quicksilver marine 2T outboard motor oil that I had kicking around, but if it's good enough for a 250hp V6 Mercury engine, I'm sure a PD engine won't complain.

Edited by Hittboy
forgot to mention something

5 litres two stroke oil at Chester Exhaust Supplies = £11.50 + VAT. It's a bluey colour. Let's see how it goes. I can't see how they would use the same red dye in two stroke oil as in red diesel as the oil is intended to be burned as fuel. The confusion would be endless.

Thing is - remember the cage mod ? - most people who tried it swore by it, but there was always a person or two who genuinely didn't benefit from it at all.

This 2T stuff seems to be working well for me, your own results might vary.....

A poll for people who decide to try this (on their own responsibility) would be most enlightening.

Since Disco Mikey started this whole 2-stroke thing :thumbup:, perhaps he might like to set up a poll? :rofl:

Bas

There's quite a difference in price between 2-stroke oil for use in garden machinery - £2 a litre at Halfords - and their stuff designed for a motorbike which is £8 a litre.

That's either 50p extra on a tank or £2 extra with the good stuff.

Lets see - say 45mpg as standard , so you'd need to get 47mpg with the good stuff to cover the costs purely from a fuel economy POV. If the cheapo oil does the trick then it only needs a very small increase in economy to be worth doing.