early results - mixing 2-stroke oil into derv

Basil

Then why do the fuel co's not add it to fuel in the quantities you guys are? There must be a reason.

Probably for the same reason the manufacturers of cars don't fit rear anti roll bars to fabias, map the TDI engines to the 160hp that we remap them too.. etc ;)

been using this since 2004 in our skoda's and i will never run a diesel without, excellent job, leaves them quieter, smooter and a bit easier on stuff

Seems a lot of people have been for some time (loads in the US) with no probs. Iam going to give it a go and hold off on Millers. I have been watching this thread for some time now and have got to the point where I want see for myself.

Castrol Actevo 2T (£4.32 1L Tesco) seems a good choice due to low ash content for cat. spec.JASO FC etc.

Motor Oil and Lubricants Castrol UK and Ireland - Castrol Act>evo 2T

Will let you know :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Been using since Bas' original post so 10K without problems; nice and smooth and quiet. Have settled on 500 ml per tankful (usually about 35 litres but varies) - a bit more than recommended but seems right. The recommended 1:200 doesn't seem enough. At this rate with the hot weather a few weeks ago I got two tank-fulls to give 82mpg each (brimming). Delighted. I've read lots of descriptions but still am unsure why it works so well in a TDI. Cost effective compared to Millers.

This includes the amount of 2 stroke used. Chester Exhaust Supplies have 5 litres for about £11 which is what I've been using, but Morrisons sounds interesting.

Got a morrison's 3/4 mile from my work, I'll have a look but cheapo stuff worries me especially when 99p.

Wouldn't have much faith in it.:rotz:

Well the spec is the same. It works no different in chainsaws, scooters strimmers etc so I doubt you will find any difference in your car. All it's doing is increasing the cetane rating.

Edited by Decron

Been using since Bas' original post so 10K without problems; nice and smooth and quiet. Have settled on 500 ml per tankful (usually about 35 litres but varies) - a bit more than recommended but seems right. The recommended 1:200 doesn't seem enough. At this rate with the hot weather a few weeks ago I got two tank-fulls to give 82mpg each (brimming).

82mpg?

How slow were you going?

What car is that?

Not slower than normal traffic, so average about 60, What made the difference was that they were long runs (Norfolk, Manchester, Cardiff etc from North Wales) and at quiet times. At 5 in the morning I can drive the 55 miles to work along the M56, through Warrington and into Manchester and only touch the brakes for traffic lights. I know this isn't practical for most people, including myself most of the time, but it does make it easy to compare changes such as putting in two stroke.It's a 1.4 TDI and has always been very good for performance and economy and 75mpg is quite normal (better than the SDI owned by SWMBO). Has washable air filter which is cleaned every 5K and elephant's trunk. Tyres are Michelin economy at 38 psi front and 35 rear - the extra must make a difference and no problems as wear is even across the tread. Now at 117K.. Air temperature makes a noticeable difference as do short journeys as these engines take a long time to warm up. What is useful in driving economically is to ignore the readout mpg and drive on the rev counter and don't change too early. There is a lot of 'advice' about changing early to save fuel, but it seems these engines are thirsty if pulling at too low revs.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have been using 2 stroke oil in my diesels for 2 years firstly with a Octavia VRS PD170 now on my Superb CR170.

I the past I have tried millers and other diesel fuel additives but could not feel any difference in the car.

Almost straight away after adding 2 stroke the engine run sweeter and more quite

I add 500ml per tank find marine 2 stoke the best TC–W3 specification.

Carlube 2 Stroke Marine Oil

http://www.carlube.co.uk/index.cfm?product=108

Carlube Endurance Marine 2Stroke engine oil is specially developed to satisfy the requirements of water cooled outboard 2Stroke engines. The product provides the ultimate in performance

demanded by the latest NMMA TC–W3 specification.

after adding 2 stroke the engine run sweeter and more quite [/font][/size]

I add 500ml per tank find marine 2 stoke the best TC–W3 3]demanded by the latest NMMA TC–W3 specification.

Thats.... a lot!

• 4 years later...

I appreciate this is a rather big BUMP, but how are the 2 stroke oil users getting on? Guessing a few thousand miles have been chewed through since the last update . . . . . Definitely going to give this a try :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I tried this for a good while in my previous car. Suffice to say, with Skoda's fuel additive warning, I won't be trying it in this car.

As I recall, the engine seemed a little more refined (remapped 2.2 i-ctdi), but I kind of got cold feet when the thought of the long-term implications of regularly adding it to the tank, against the manufacturer's recommendations.

I performed some long-winded calculations as to what was worked out cheaper (can't remember the result!) , but now i choose to use Shell V-Power Nitro, instead in the CR170.

• Like 1

My car is out of its warranty period so not to concerned about that aspect of the dealers warnings as 95% of the time they are just covering their backs any hoo. But from the read of this thread seems mainly positive. I agree about the long term implications, hence my original post. [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• 7 months later...

I'm thinking of doing this in my CR170 as it's just out of warranty, I used to run a 307 HDI on Kero mixed with 2-stroke and done over 100k and the engine never missed a beat although these engines are built for that as thats how the French run them in the winter time.

Anymore feedback from guys on this forum using this?

Does it help fuel economy?

Does the car run smoother?

Thanks

I won't be trying it. The old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it".
Unless you're having issues with running and suspect a blocked injector there is no reason to add anything to the tank other than diesel. 

• Like 2

I won't be trying it. The old saying goes "if it ain't broke don't fix it".

Unless you're having issues with running and suspect a blocked injector there is no reason to add anything to the tank other than diesel.

.not long after buying my vrs I tried half tank of petrol!

needless to say it didnt like it.

12at night I done it. Then brimmed it with diesel to get me home (a mile) ran ok for the mile then died as I pulled on drive and it died.

managed to syphon 3/4 of the tank out then drained and filled fuel filter. Then syphoned my dads labdy into the fabia so it was full of diesel. And it started nearly straight away.

needles too say only done it oncw!

I'm thinking of doing this in my CR170 as it's just out of warranty, I used to run a 307 HDI on Kero mixed with 2-stroke and done over 100k and the engine never missed a beat although these engines are built for that as thats how the French run them in the winter time.

Anymore feedback from guys on this forum using this?

Does it help fuel economy?

Does the car run smoother?

Thanks

I tried adding 2 stroke to my PD100 1.9tdi.

I tried castrol 2stroke oil,   some tescos branded one,   and another one from wilco's.    Think at the time people were taking about getting one with a certain FB or FC specification  (sorry I really can't remember as it was at least 2years ago I tried this).

Prior to using 2stroke test,  I was using BP ultimate diesel and Millers Ecomax additive at every single fill up.   My daily drive was 60miles to and from work,  over various b and a roads.  I would easily do 350miles a week in my car.

I can honestly say adding 2 stroke to regular diesel fuel did nothing to power/smoothness or mpg.   Using regular diesel fuel just seemed smokier, and less smooth.

Switching back to BP ultimate and adding 2stroke also did not change anything compared to using ULtimate+millars.

Maybe if anything there was more smoke than when using Millers.

Anyway,   overall I would say adding 2stroke to my car did nothing positive at all.     complete waste of time.

• Like 1

Ever since I've just used BP Ultimate + millers ecomax.

I don't know if this is overkill,  but it works well for me.     So I've now done 140,000 miles in this car,   and I bought it with 70,000.

I've just recently bought a additive called 'Rhino Diesel',   and I will start to use this after I finish off my bottle of Millers Ecomax.

The Rhino Diesel seems to get pages and pages of positive write ups on the internet over various forums.    The claims that it can turn regular diesel into Premium diesel for a fraction of the cost. 

we shall see....