speed camera! i think?!?

mole

on the M6 today, was on top of a bridge, 1 over each lane. but i hadnt seen this type before. it was a pole sticking up with what looked like a tiny camera ontop. they had 3 facing the traffic and 3 on the other side of the bridge looking at the back of cars. only issue i have not 1 car slowed down in any of the lanes. and i can say i was doing 90ish easily:rotz:. any know if they were speed cameras? :confused:

I doubt if they were speed cameras, more likely to be the type for monitoring traffic flow / congestion. what part of the M6 was it?

Seen them many a time around junctions 34-36 on the M6... think it's more monitoring for uninsured drivers etc....

Isn't it a legal requirment that speed cameras have to be yellow so they are visable?

No it isn't a legal requirement. The reason some (not all) speed cameras are yellow is something to do with the local authority administering/receiving the fines or something along those lines.

Probably the same or similar technology used by trafficmaster, they record the 4 middle characters of a number plate and identify it futher up the road for average speed and traffic volume. IIRC a similar system is used for the 'time to next junction' estimation that pops up on the motorway matrix signs when we aren't being told not to drink and drive/use the phone/drive tired etc.

Vauxhall and Citroen to name but a few, Rover did as well IIRC and TM were proper shafted when Rover when to the wall. I used to look after the air conditioning in TMs main server room at Cranfield technology park.

They have a mahoosive screen with the live traffic data on it which is pretty cool.

There are smaller cameras out there for ANPR/Traffic monitoring purposes. The temporary ones are tiny and sit on poles, I saw them on the M25 for a short time a few years back.

A few examples:

New%20Camera%20jpg.JPG

van155.jpg

cammount01.jpg

There are a new type of speed camera out mind you so beware!

RedSpeed International - Home

One has gone up on a duel carriage way near me, took me a while to work out what it was!

Luckily I wasn't speeding

The Monitron has been around for quite a while (3 years now), and is installed en mass in Bristol and London.

That's just not playing fair putting them that high up. Flame throwers cost a lot of money :rofl:

The monitron can also be used as a redspeed (traffic light) and as mixed speed/red light application too.

There is a new style camera on the A24 that is under test, it has a white flash after it and an IR flash before it and two sets of lines. I can only presume it can be adapted to do the job of a Gatso and Truvelo in one.

Ah, here it is:

New%20Speed%20Camera%204.jpg

New Speed Camera on Test on the A24

They say it's "cheekily placed after a kink in the road". I happen to know it's been placed just before a really dangerous junction and accident blackspot and I for one welcome its presence.

The Monitron has been around for quite a while (3 years now), and is installed en mass in Bristol and London.

That's just not playing fair putting them that high up. Flame throwers cost a lot of money :rofl:

Ah right, never seen one around here before, Wales must be catching up with the rest of the UK :rofl: