#1 Leon-y-k

Leon-y-k

Leon

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,881 posts
  • Car:Superb Twindoor V6 DSG 4x4 / Other half Skoda Citigo Sport 5 Door

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:16

Ive had a big bottle of Castrol Magntec, and I bought it when my 2.0 used to drink oil...it has been about a year and a half since I last opened it to use it...it didn't have no best before date on it haha!

Would you recon its safe to use or should I bin it... its nearly full too!! :) would be a shame to chuck it... but if its going to damage the engine I'd rather buy some new stuff!

thanks

Leon

#2 shark_90

shark_90

Uber Member

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts
  • Car:Octavia I L&K BAM 285 + Volvo V50 D5

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:30

Oil breaks down over time.. I don't know how long with bottled oil but perhaps give Opie Oils a call and discuss it with them?

#3 Tom_vRS

Tom_vRS

Family Man

• Honorary
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,727 posts
  • Car:'56 Ford Galaxy Ghia / '03 MG ZT 1.8T

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:34

it'll be just fine Leon :)

#4 Leon-y-k

Leon-y-k

Leon

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,881 posts
  • Car:Superb Twindoor V6 DSG 4x4 / Other half Skoda Citigo Sport 5 Door

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:42

thats good to know!

just given Opie Oils a call, they said 2 years is about the time you should chuck it so its fine! :) thank you.

#5 ric04vrs

ric04vrs

Big dog = big car

• FREEDOM
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,215 posts
  • Car:silver Fabia VRS, candy white Superb estate SE+

Posted 09 June 2009 - 22:16

i'm just wondering ,what on earth happens to oil to make it "unusable" after 2 years

Shark90 , you say it breaks down , but into what ?

#6 shark_90

shark_90

Uber Member

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 22:53

I'm no expert on oil but I've read a couple of oilman's posts (That's Opie Oils by the way, I think it's Guy but I might be wrong).

Oil is pretty complicated stuff and with all its chemicals and additives and hydrocarbons etc there's bound to be a chemical reaction in there somewhere. Perhaps if the bottle was brand new then it wouldn't matter so much, I don't know, but gut instinct tells me that it could possibly go "off" just like petrol does.

#7 cheezemonkhai

cheezemonkhai

Brisk...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,863 posts
  • Car:A skoda :o

Posted 09 June 2009 - 23:40

I would be fairly certain the oil isn't a problem, it's more the complex additives reacting with each other.

To be fair however if they fall apart in the bottle over 2 years, you do have to wonder how on earth they survive up to 2 years in an engine in what are much more hostile conditions.

Edited by cheezemonkhai, 12 June 2009 - 11:31.

#8 shark_90

shark_90

Uber Member

• Sponsors
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,831 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 23:48

They answer to that is.. they don't ;) I wouldn't trust two year old oil, infact I hate variable servicing full stop and so do most mechanics (i.e. the ones that know what they're talking about).

#9 brad1.8T

brad1.8T

Briskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 506 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 01:24

I've asked a similar question of our oil suppliers & they give an unopened bottle a 3-4 year shelf life & an opened bottle a maximum of 12 months after opening providing the lid is replaced, clean, dry, etc.
I then mentioned that I might just use the out of date oil in my lawn mower & cheap workshop compressor (neither had had an oil change for 5 years) & they thought that was a good idea.

#10 cheezemonkhai

cheezemonkhai

Brisk...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,863 posts
  • Car:A skoda :o

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:25

They answer to that is.. they don't ;) I wouldn't trust two year old oil, infact I hate variable servicing full stop and so do most mechanics (i.e. the ones that know what they're talking about).

They do survive for 2 years in a car as long as the car is driven under the correct conditions.

I've seen plenty of Octy MK I that are on variable service and running over 250k, so it can't be that bad.

#11 Captain Sisko

Captain Sisko

Friskodian

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts
  • Car:Renault 21 Monaco 2L

Posted 11 June 2009 - 16:55

I used some 20/50 spec (I think) in my Favorit. God knows how long it was in my garage for though!!!