Help! My EPC (Emissions) or CEL (Check Engine Lamp) is on.

cjb

Hi all,

My Wifes 1.4 auto Fabia has hda a rash of faults just lately (last 6 months or so). First it was Lambda sensor no2 that was slow to respond, then it stopped reading altogether, replaced it, then the code was replaced with one saying the manifold pressure was 'implausible'. Replaced that sensor today, and now its telling me that the torque figure from the engine is 'out of range'!!! All the time the EPC and CEL have been on pretty much constantly!

Is there something more fundamental, like a screwed ECU?!

The only time I've noticed any running problems was with the last fault for the torque, where the gearbox couldnt make its mind up which gear to be in when crawling forward in traffic.

Its on a Y/2001 plate so its gettin on a bit now, and I dont really want(nor can I afford!)to keep throwing money at it!

Any ideas?

Edited by lostsoul82

• 2 weeks later...

For anyone that may have a manifold pressure code coming up and cant get rid, do what I did last night, get a mate to spray a can of carb cleaner down the throttle body while you hold it just off tickover, all the fault lights have cleared and its running like a champ!

The friend that helped me out used to work at a garage in Stockport, and as soon as I took the engine cover off he commented that he used to see lots of Polos with this engine with warning lights coming up, and they used to just spray carb cleaner into the engine, and it usually cleared it!

Lucky for me (and my wallet!) it worked this time too!

So far done about 40 miles and they havent come back on yet(they used to come on first time you slowed down for lights etc).

Worth a try.....

Hi all,

An update on the fault light situation.....

The other halfs Fabia went in for MOT today, and failed miserably on CO emissions, even with no fault lights. An hour after this, the lights reappeared! Gettin more than a little pi55ed off now, specially as the codes are now telling me the lambda sensor I replaced three weeks ago is failing again, and the MAP sensor warning is back!

So, what to do first? Change the MAP and see if this clears the lambda code(after a clearing out run), or change that again too so I'm starting from fresh? Or could something else be throwing them both off values? (I cleaned the throttle body when I did the oil change, and thats when the lights went out on their own!)

Any ideas greatfully received!

• 2 months later...

I left my VRS at work overnight, collected it last night and noticed the "Control system for exhaust" light was on.

I've driven the car a few times over the last 24 hours and it seems fine, although the light is still on.

I've got an STS which I plugged in and looked for faults, however none were found.

Any ideas?

just had epc light come on and the abs light on my wifes 1.2 fabia silverline

also the brakelights are not working any ideas anybody

hi mate i had the same problem unfortunatly was non the wiser of how easy the fix/problem was and took the car to the dealers mine a 56 plate 1.2 classic and had 35k on clock at the time and i was stung with a 250 pound bill but after a banter with the boss got it all done for 190 i can show you a copy of my recipt so you can know exacly what you need and exacly what they did its running fine since then but try tackle the job yourself save alot of money i wish i ddi but owel all done now good luck with the fix anyways

• 1 month later...

Hi, just trying to eliminate possible causes for the EPC light to have come on. Does a brake pedal switch failure mean all brake lights would fail? Epc came on, noticed driver side brake light bulb had gone, replaced it and all was well. One day and about 80 miles of motorway driving later, the brake light has gone again and the epc is back on. Know it could be a duff bulb and will replace again to eliminate that option but feel there is prob an underlying cause

Thanks, w

• 1 year later...

Hi, just trying to eliminate possible causes for the EPC light to have come on. Does a brake pedal switch failure mean all brake lights would fail? Epc came on, noticed driver side brake light bulb had gone, replaced it and all was well. One day and about 80 miles of motorway driving later, the brake light has gone again and the epc is back on. Know it could be a duff bulb and will replace again to eliminate that option but feel there is prob an underlying cause

Thanks, w

Thats more than a little coincidental, the wifes car after being ok for about 6 months has started throwing lambda codes again, and it keeps popping right brakelight bulbs! hmmm...