Help! My EPC (Emissions) or CEL (Check Engine Lamp) is on.

cjb

hi my diesel octy 2.0 dpf light came on followed by a flashing glow plug and the engine management light came on, rang skoda assist they found fault to be a faulty sensor (exhaust gas pressure) also he ran egr program to clear fault which took about 20 mins.

Exactly the same has happened to me but no resolution yet

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had the emissions warning light on twice since I got the car in February and both times the dealer could find nothing wrong. Both times the light went out of its own accord - last time following a mates advice to drive 60 - 70mph in third gear for a spell.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a long spell of the Emmisions light coming on, then going to the dealers who couldn't find any fault and switching the light off, then it coming back again after a month or so.

Eventually, they changed the 'Carbon Canister' and everything has been sweet since (over 1 year). I thought only Diesels had carbon canisters, but what the heck, it's fixed! :smirk:

• 2 weeks later...

My CEL lamp came on 1 week out of warranty. Took it to local skoda dealer, £33 to run diagnostics. Initially suggested it was dpf needing replacement, then said it was the exhaust gas pressure sensor (slight difference in price!). Seems to be a common theme with the diesels looking at this feed.

They reset it but CEL came back on next day, so looks like I'll be booking it in for replacement sensor.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a 2004 Skoda Octavia 1.4L manual gearbox and the next lights came on: EPC, control system for exhaust and ESP.

The car won't allowed me to rave the engine more than 2000 rot/min.

The mecanic its not sure, he told me that the throtle body can be faulty, but he wasn't sure.

Can anyone please help me!!!

Octavia II FL '09 - 1.8 TSI, 6 speed manual (NO MAXIDOT)

EPC light on - Fault code - P1387 Control Module Malfunction Internal Altitude/Pressure Sensor.

only done 9k kms.

2 weeks back while running a scan via VCDS...my Engine -01 showed up this error. I thought must have been because of my fiddling around with VCDS..Cleared it ...No problem at all.

However after coming back from a 80 km drive I plugged in the VCDS to have a look and there it was the error was up again..I cleared it again thinking it was nothing serious as there weren't any Warning lights on the dash...

But after switching on and off the car the error seemed to come up again and after vcds had logged the error more than 2 times it showed MIL on ...however still NO warning light !

I went to the dealer and I was told that it was a static error and nothing to be worried about, he cleared it through VAS and had me on my way but funnily enough the error was still popping up on reaching home.

DIAGNOSIS--

to the rescue came Briskoda and rwbaldwin ---all thanks to him for helping me out with all the valuable information.

P1387 is a failure of the altitude sensor within the ECU...i.e the ECU is faulty and needs to be replaced...

The glitch however is that if you keep driving at or near sea level there will be no warning light on the dash and the only indication of the error will be a slight hesitation from the engine.(no reason for a warranty claim-if you are within the warranty period)

However once the altitude rises/lower air density the the altitude sensor(which reduces the charge of the turbo charger to avoid it from overspeeding) will detect the malfunction and there will be EPC light on the dash.

There is no alternative for this error and the only way out is changing the ECU.

The causes of this can be excessive dust, moisture or humidity.

Sorry for the long read !

Exactly the same has happened to me but no resolution yet

This occured to my 2008 vrs cr tdi, having just driven to Cornwall, a 500 mile journey late evening and night time, at a good pace! Limped it into Falmouth Skoda, who did the diagnostic and it came back DPF 90% full of soot and a fire warning! A new DPF and sensor, £1400 on warranty, but my car only has 22k on it and 4 months warranty left, to say I am concerned is an under statement!!

I was told that if the engine had been a PD there would have been fewer problems as they are seen as being bomb proof!! Dealer said they had seen quite a few with this problem!

Edited by supersport2

• 2 weeks later...

2005 Octavia II 2.0 FSI

91000km

A year ago I had the head gasket replaced. Shortly after that the engine light came on and we determined that a P2540 fuel low pressure sensor - range/performance error had occured and I needed to have the sensor replace. Before I did this, the EPC light started intermittently coming on and couldn't notice any particular pattern as to when and no performace changes - nothing obvious anyway. My mechanic suggested that the engine light (P2440 pressure problem) was related and it would stop once we changed the sensor. Well, the engine light doesn't come on anymore, but about 5 minutes after driving away from the mechanic the EPC light came back on. I know that it could mean many things, but I'm just trying to get as much information as I can before I go back to my mechanic (or to an authorized dealer).

Any thoughts out there on this one?

• 1 month later...

Model: 2008 Skoda vRS CR TDI Estate

Problem : Control system for exhaust warning light. Glow plug system warning light starts blinking after awhile.

Mileage: 47000

Solution: Exhaust and Throttle sensors replaced under warranty

I had my 2009 VRS TDI CR,show up the CEL light and show the GLOW PLUG light which made the car go into limp mode.I went straight to the dealer who said it was the exhaust pressure sensor in the DPF,he changed it out,parts and labour came to 140 euros.The light came on,and i went straight to the dealer,which is 22 miles away and at that stage the DPF was 43% blocked,dealer said it has to be replaced at over 45%,at a cost of 1600 euros,any more problems and it will be a DPF delete at 600 euros for sure.

Had my Exhaust Management System light come on today. Car didn't go into limp mode & I made it to the dealer, approx 60 miles without any bother.

Credit to MBS of Darlington for sorting it straight away as I didn't get there until 16:15. It was the exhaust pressure sensor. Changed under used car warranty (4 years/44K) - common enough according to service manager & borne out here!

He tells me the DPF was unaffected but I'll be busy researching the link between the 2 now I've seen the price mentioned above!

Edited by rosswm

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mine has come on a few times after 1 mile of driving, Parkview, Reading, having plugged the car in, reckon it's

a dodgy oil pressure switch.

In next week so will update.

• 4 weeks later...

I need help with these faults codes!

I used the U281 Scanner from Ebay, ->DTC->Engine -> Scan and got these codes:

I think 01137 could related to the DPF/Exhaust sensor, which needs to replace, but don't have a clue about the others and have tried searching on the net for them but no luck.

anyone?

• 4 weeks later...

The exhaust management light came on. The garage replaced the sensor whilst working on it they found that the water pump was leaking. sensor and water pump were replaced. Half an hour after driving out of the garage the exhaust management light came on again. This time they have replaced the intake manifold. So far the light has not come back on.. Octavia Elegance 1.8TSI 18 months old 10.000 miles on the clock.

Lo and behold, the starting problems a month after the fix appear to have returned. If the lights start coming on then I'm going to go mental.

And, two days out of warranty, the lights come on again. They have had the car three times and failed on every occasion to give me a permanent fix. Going in on Monday AGAIN.

• 1 year later...

Octavia Scout TDi - Just got my Emissions Check Light on. Came on after the engine started to back off whilst overtaking someone. Made things a bit exciting !! Anyway it's on all the time now, plus the engine seems to back off at around 3500rpm, drives ok otherwise. In for a service this week coming so hopefully it'll get sorted then.

• 1 year later...

Holy thread revival Batman!

Does anyone know how long it takes the EPC light to come on the dash when the brake light stops working? I noticed when parking up at home a few days ago my brake lights intermittently worked. Yet lately they seem to work fine. I've not had a warning light on the dash yet. I've been straining to see if my brake lights are working from reflections in cars behind me, but can be hard to see in daylight.

It's a common issue and so I've got a new switch to fit that regardless over Easter. I was just intrigued what conditions led to the EPC light. I'm guessing the intermittent nature keeps the ECU guessing until it has permanently failed?

• 1 month later...