[How to] Full Sound installation upgrade (Superb 2003 PD130)

Cown

Hey guys,

I thought i would share this with everyone. I made a full upgrade of the sound system in my Superb from 2003.

This guide includes:

Speaker refit in all doors.

Sub installation.

Power cable & sound cable routes.

Dissembling the front passenger door:

front_passenger1.JPG

Insert a screwdriver (5 mm wide max.) in the opening in the bottom of the door handle and lever off cover -1-.

Note:

To avoid damaging the door trim panel, place a plastic spatula -2- between the screwdriver and the trim panel.

front_passenger2.JPG

Remove bolts -1- and -2-.

Note:

The door handle -3- is attached with screws through the door trim panel, and can only be screwed off together with the trim panel.

front_passenger3.JPG

Remove screws -arrows B-. (Torx)

Unclip trim panel -1- from door (using a plastic spatula for example), and pulling in -direction of arrow A-.

front_passenger4.JPG

Unhook control cable -1- and pull in -direction of arrow- out of guide -2-.

Separate plug connection -3-.

The result:

front_passenger5%20%28Small%29.JPG

Then I remove the speaker:

front_passenger5%20%28Small%29%20ed1.JPG

Use a drill to remove the mount, where the speaker is placed. The holes are 5mm.

The result:

front_passenger6%20%28Small%29.JPG

Now it's time to make a wood frame and mount it on the door:

front_passenger7%20%28Small%29.JPG

I used the old speaker frame to make the wood frame. When i had the perfect fit i copied it to the remaining doors. The bolts are 5mm.

front_passenger8%20%28Small%29.JPG

Working! :-)

front_passenger9%20%28Small%29.JPG

On top of the first wood mount i then create a new frame, where the new speaker will be fitted. Remember a hole for the cable. 3-way speaker btw.

front_passenger10%20%28Small%29.JPG

The cable is a bit special as it can flex and bend very extremely without breaking.

front_passenger11%20%28Small%29.JPG

Remember to apply glue between the two frames to get optimal grip. I used a wood specific glue.

front_passenger12%20%28Small%29.JPG

Speaker goes in. Be careful not to tighten the screws too much, as it will break the frame of the speaker. (Very thin aluminum).

front_passenger13%20%28Small%29.JPG

Connect the cables.

front_passenger14%20%28Small%29.JPG

Make it look nice. Sound test and then time to reassembly the door. :thumbup:

The speaker installation is the same for all doors. De-assembling them is different though, so therefore i will now show you how to do the rest of the doors.

Rear doors:

rear_door1.JPG

Insert a screwdriver (5 mm wide max.) in the opening in the bottom of the door handle and lever off cover -1-.

Note:

To avoid damaging the door trim panel, place a plastic spatula -2- between the screwdriver and the trim panel.

rear_door2.JPG

Remove bolts -1- and -2-.

Note:

The door handle -3- is attached with screws through the door trim panel, and can only be screwed off together with the trim panel.

rear_door3.JPG

Remove screw -arrow B-.

Unclip trim panel -1- from door (using a plastic spatula for example), and pulling in -direction of arrow A-.

Separate plug connection from front treble speaker.

rear_door4.JPG

Separate plug connection -3-.

Detach connector from bottom light.

Front drivers door:

driver_door1.JPG

Using a small screwdriver, lever off trim strip -1- from recessed handle -2-.

Unclip recessed handle -2-, pulling upwards.

driver_door2.JPG

Pull off child safety lock -1- in -direction of arrow-, and disconnect plug connection -2-

driver_door3.JPG

Remove screws.

driver_door4.JPG

Remove screws -arrows-.

Unclip trim panel from door (using a plastic wedge for example).

driver_door5.JPG

Separate plug connections -3- and -4-.

That's it, pretty simple, specially when you start working with it yourself.

Now for installing cables:

Access your engine room.

water_box.JPG

Pull the seal of the bonnet -1- from the water box.

Unclip the water box cover -2- and remove in the -direction of arrow-.

water_box2.JPG

Unclip retaining clips -2-.

Lever off the cover of the windscreen e.g. using a door covering removal tool (starting from the edges of the pane and working into the middle).

Now you need to remove the windscreen wipers.

windscreen1.JPG

Note:

The wiper arms of the scuttle must be removed in order to be able to take off the wiper frame with linkage and wiper motor.

Before removing the wiper arms ensure that the wiper motor is in the park position. This is important in order to correctly set the park position when re-installing the wiper arms.

The protective housing for the control units in the plenum chamber on the left also should be removed.

Use a screwdriver to lever off the two caps -arrows-.

windscreen2.JPG

Release the hexagonal nuts -arrows- (20 Nm), but do not unscrew completely.

Move the wiper arms slightly until they detach.

Now fully unscrew the hexagonal nuts and remove the wiper arms.

Carry out the installation in the same way in reverse order.

Now you should be able to open the black box, which contains the cars computer. When the lid is removed you have direct access to the car. If you look down in the box you should see the pedals. This is where you wanna run your power cable.

Picture:

pwr1%20%28Small%29.JPG

I cut down in the plastic with a knife and mounted a rubber ring to keep out water. Close the box and mount windscreen wipers etc. again. Do not connect the power yet. Do this at the end, when you are ready to power up the amp.

Now it's time to lay down the power cable to the end of your car. I removed the trims and panels at the bottom and used that to cover up the route.

Start with the drivers side with removing the panels at the bottom.

pwr2.JPG

Then take the panel to the left and keep on going. You just have to pull very hard to get out the clips holding the panel.

pwr2%20%28Small%29.JPG

Yes, this will take time. :rolleyes:

rear_seat.JPG

When you reach the rear seats, then pull up the side polstry to gain access to the trunk. Just watch where the other cables go through and use the same route:

rear%20%28Small%29.JPG

Additionally add some rubber to the gateway, so that the cable wont be cut by the sharp edges.

In the trunk i you can remove the following to gain access to the cable route:

rear2%20%28Small%29.JPG

Remove this with a normal screwdriver and that should give you access by pulling out the polstry.

My Final result:

rear3%20%28Small%29.JPG

I hope you can use this guide.

Random pics:

arr1.jpg

arr2.jpg

:D

Thanks a lot for a useful howto :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Where did you get the schematics diagrams from? If you have the instructions on howto remove the water splash guard in front of the windscreen for the Octavia I, I would be glad to have them :)

I couldn't find exactly the words you specified, but here's what i think you are looking for:

octavia_I_01.JPG

octavia_I_02.JPG

Please let me know if this is not it. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi, can you please show pictures of where you mounted the amplifier and subwoofer?. I am looking at installing a sound system into my next Superb along with some other tuning. I am trying to think fo where to put the subwoofer so that the boot is free as I have a baby girl and pram has to go somewhere.

I was thinking about maybe installing a custom rear shelf but cannot remember off the top of my head if there would be enough room. I could install a 10" free air sub in the shelf or a pair of them.

I was thinking of getting a full set of Vibe 6.5" or Infinity 6.5" components for the doors front and rear.

Last cars I installed were a 2001 Vauxhall Astra so the hatchback I just put 4 6x9s on a mdf shelf and a 12" sub in the boot and ran the standard speakers form the head unit.

Then I had a Honda Accord 2001 saloon. I installed speakers in the doors and a 12" sub in the boot but the bass did not get into the cabin very well due to it being a saloon.

I am worried this would happen with the superb. I could maybe install a 10" sub in the armrest but then it would look messy in the boot.

ANy advice or help.

Figure it out yourself mate i did not do anything fancy, since i cant be bothered and i dont have any children etc. I just put a small sub case in the back and mounted it. :-)

• 2 years later...