Spare wheel Fabia 2

We collected our new Fabia 2 combi 19tdi last week. Lovely car, handles better than old one, but was horrified to find no spare wheel, just some gunk and a compressor. Might be old-fashioned, but I would prefer to have a spare in the boot (the cavity is there) and have had a look for a plain steel one. Do the wheels from the old-shaped Fabia fit the new one? It would also be interesting to hear of people's experiences using the gunk and compressor. Cheers.

My Fabia was built in March and came with tyre - probably one of the last ones.

Remember you also need a jack and wheelbrace - I think they were deleted too.

Spare tyre is a £50 option on new orders now - see if the dealer can get you that as it may include the jack and brace.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2009 Skoda Fabia 1 and it didn't come with a spare wheel either, just the gunk and compressor. Unfortunately had a puncture at the weekend, and the gunk didn't work, I suspect because the hole was too big (about 1 cm wide). Had to call out the RAC who managed to fix it at the roadside, otherwise it would have needed to be towed home. I'm definitely getting a proper spare wheel now, I can't risk being stuck and needing to be towed home if it can't be fixed at the roadside. I would recommend anyone buying a new car should take the option to purchase a spare wheel at the same time.

If you didn't get the spare, wheelbrace and jack from new at a cost of £55(ish) you'll have to buy it for £120(ish).

There is a space in the boot well insert to keep the gunk in there too with the spare etc...

I had to buy the £120 version as my Greenline couldn't be ordered with a spare for CO2 reasons.

For information:

The New Fabia vRS DOES come with a Spare wheel and tools

ALL other Fabias DO NOT..Its an option....Greenline might have it as standard...Not sure

On Greenline it's not an option at all. Well it wasn't when I got mine.

It increases the weight and that effects CO2 apparently...

My Greenline 1 came with jack and wheel brace (March 2010). No spare, just the tin of gunk and a compressor. This was standard.

I bought a steel rim and put on a tyre as a proper spare. I then went to the scrappy and bought the internal plastic box the Mk1's have as standard. All the tools fit in nicely and I now have a proper spare bolted down.....as it should be.

When I ordered last November spare wheel & I assume jack, wheelbrace and insert to hold them was £38.30 total as part of VAT deal since factory option.

Now £54.17 (+ VAT unless on VAT paid deal).

Did you know that (Skoda owners) VW are trumpeting a spare wheel as a real 'PLUS POINT' in promoting new Passat.

I wouldn't buy a car without a spare - if you have to buy a tyre in an emergency

1. You probably get a mis-match with the rest of the tyres.

2. It could take an age.

3. It will be really expensive!

Very true that they won't be paying the same. I'd doubt they are even buying it as most people would understand it.

I'd imagine it'll be a supply contract of X number of tyres per month for x years more likely or some variation of a supply contract.