ABS Control Unit failure

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to concudemy earlier post/rant - about 10 days after the "Christmas Lights" appeared on the dash, they went out and stayed out! It ws booked in for a replacement of the ABS unit or a sensor or both so I kept the appointment. The faults were still recorded, however, and the dealer replaced an abs sensor which cured the problem.

The fact that the lights went out says to me that something had got wet and then dried out - it was a particularly wet day when the fault first occurred. Guess I'll never know but, touch wood, the problem had not reappeared in the last few weeks since the fix. So the cure for others' manifestation of the problem may not involve a complete replacement of the ABS unit. Perhaps. Fingers crossed!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

This is my first post on Briskoda.net and I am seeking some help regarding a fault diagnosed by Skoda today.

The ESP warning light (the one that comes on when the wheels spin) has come on and doesn't go off at all. I took the car into Skoda today and they diagnosed the fault to the ABS Pump Control Unit and quoted a price tag just under �1500... yes, that is the correct :(

I was wondering if anyone else has heared of similar issues on a Skoda. My ride is an 06 Octavia II vRS TFSi (just run out of warranty back in March).

I have read a few posts about similar issues on VW's... see below:

Golf 6 days out of warranty & �1350 bill! - uk-mkivs

Help wanted re ESP dashboard light - VWAUDI Forum

ABS pump replacement 2600 Euros???? - ClubTouran.net

Hope you can help,

Regards, Paulo

for what it's worth there is mention in an HJ report on BM's similar problem with a repair kit under repair code 34516 @ approx£14? as opposed to £1900 for the full monty I nave not managed to get any further but it may turn out to be of some use :-)

OK, can somebody PLEASE put the relevant info in a post and could an adminsitrator PLEASE make it a sticky?

It would be nice to have a "how to check which version of the ABS unit you have" pictorial and some definative part numbers.

Anybody? Bueller?

• 2 weeks later...

I feel your pain, a few months ago the VSA modulator failed on my four year old Honda Accord, I was quoted �1650 to fit a replacement. Looking on forums this is not an unheard of problem in Honda models. I was lucky that Honda UK as a goodwill gesture supplied the part free of charge - so I just paid the labour, that plus the diagnosis still cost �280.

I have just had the same nightmare today with my four year old Honda......quoted 1750 and 60 to diagnose the problem!! Honda have offered to reduce the cost of the part to just under 500 but not replace it free of charge like yours was.....how did you manage it???? Will to call them again tomorrow and try and push for this. Do you remember what mileage your Honda had at the time the modulator failed? Mine only has 34K!

I have just had the same nightmare today with my four year old Honda......quoted 1750 and 60 to diagnose the problem!! Honda have offered to reduce the cost of the part to just under 500 but not replace it free of charge like yours was.....how did you manage it???? Will to call them again tomorrow and try and push for this. Do you remember what mileage your Honda had at the time the modulator failed? Mine only has 34K!

Hi my Accord had done about 40K, my local dealer (Harrogate) made the initial contact. Their first offer was half price on the part so would have been around £700. I personally spoke to them saying I didn't expect something like this to happen on a four year old Honda. They wouldn't budge then changed their mind an hour later. Not long after I got it fixed I put an order in for a new Octavia, I've had it for 5 months now so far so good. I think it handles as well as the Accord, much easier to park, I only miss convenience functions like the electric tailgate, and of course the torque from the 2.2 diesel.

BTW sorry Skoda peeps for the thread diversion.

Hi my Accord had done about 40K, my local dealer (Harrogate) made the initial contact. Their first offer was half price on the part so would have been around £700. I personally spoke to them saying I didn't expect something like this to happen on a four year old Honda. They wouldn't budge then changed their mind an hour later. Not long after I got it fixed I put an order in for a new Octavia, I've had it for 5 months now so far so good. I think it handles as well as the Accord, much easier to park, I only miss convenience functions like the electric tailgate, and of course the torque from the 2.2 diesel.

BTW sorry Skoda peeps for the thread diversion.

Thank you very much for replying and my apologies also to the rest of the forum for non-Skoda enquiry (you were only person I could find online

with recent identical problem). Much appreciated.

• 1 month later...

As I started this thread, I thought I would update you all...

my 2006 Mk2 VRS has been traded in for a new FL VRS, so this ABS control Unit problem shouldn't affect me anymore... so I thought!

Problem now is that my wife's VW Touran has developed the same problem! It has 13000 miles on it (yes, 13000 miles after 3 years and 2 months) but lucky for me, I decided to take out the extended warranty with vw, so this time it will be covered!

Maybe this is deja-vu, but my VRS's ABS Control Unit also went after 3 years and a few months! Does Bosch/VW design them to last just over 3 years?! :wonder:

As I started this thread, I thought I would update you all...

my 2006 Mk2 VRS has been traded in for a new FL VRS, so this ABS control Unit problem shouldn't affect me anymore... so I thought!

Problem now is that my wife's VW Touran has developed the same problem! It has 13000 miles on it (yes, 13000 miles after 3 years and 2 months) but lucky for me, I decided to take out the extended warranty with vw, so this time it will be covered!

Maybe this is deja-vu, but my VRS's ABS Control Unit also went after 3 years and a few months! Does Bosch/VW design them to last just over 3 years?! :wonder:

For clarity did/do both vehicles have ESP or just ABS. As I understand this problem is normally considered to only affect ESP equipped vehicles. I do not believe either unit is manufactured by Bosch but by Teves? I am interested as I only have ABS :yes:

This is apparently a massive VAG scandal that's ongoing at present and there's loads of info on the 'net. VW Golfs are particularly affected. Unscrupulous motor traders are flogging on Golfs with this problem by buying them cheap and then disconnecting the panel warning light.............................. This is apparently a HUGE problem from what I have read. The Octy being effectively a stretched Golf and sharing many components is being similarly afflicted it seems. £1500 ?? It's absolutely outrageous - VAG know all about this problem. They should be helping customers - not ripping them off. No wonder VAG cars are getting marked down for reliability by JD Power.

For clarity did/do both vehicles have ESP or just ABS. As I understand this problem is normally considered to only affect ESP equipped vehicles. I do not believe either unit is manufactured by Bosch but by Teves? I am interested as I only have ABS :yes:

This problem specifically affects cars with factory fit ESP. Both my Touran and my 06 Octavia have the ESP system, possibly the same part nr.

My new FL VRS has a new type of ESP, system, the one that includes XDS, so must be different part nrs... I hope!

• 1 month later...
B) How about we contact BBC 'Watchdog' consumer program and inform them of this common problem and shame Skoda/VW into doing something about it ! cheers - Stuart

• 2 weeks later...

The bad news -my 06 2.0tdi estate had same problem with esp light coming on, same diagnosis of ABS controller failing and same cost of £1500 (the repairing garage said this had been a regular problem with VWs but was now occurring more frequently with Skodas)

The good news -I bought this car when it was just under 3 years old, noticed that you could extend warranty for another 3 years for about £300, so I did!

Moral - buy cars with long warranty periods or take up the bargain offer of extending Skoda's warranty for a further 3 !!

p.s. I also love my L&K estate and was disappointed to have this problem

The bad news -my 06 2.0tdi estate had same problem with esp light coming on, same diagnosis of ABS controller failing and same cost of £1500 (the repairing garage said this had been a regular problem with VWs but was now occurring more frequently with Skodas)

The good news -I bought this car when it was just under 3 years old, noticed that you could extend warranty for another 3 years for about £300, so I did!

Moral - buy cars with long warranty periods or take up the bargain offer of extending Skoda's warranty for a further 3 !!

p.s. I also love my L&K estate and was disappointed to have this problem

Hi, very interested to know where you got the £300 extended warranty for 3 years!?

I bought my 1.9TDI Estate last December, the car was had just 1 month of warranty left (it was new Jan'07) and phoned Skoda UK, they said contact my local dealer in Jersey for extended warranty, they 1st quoted me about £275 for 1 year extended, then checked and said it would £450 odd!!

Been Skoda serviced and brake fluid changed at 2 years,Dec'09 service was not @ a Skoda garage.

I did not buy any warranty!

Now I am very worried about this ABS failure, so considering buying from www.warrantydirect.com or www.warrantywise.com,but am not sure which is best - anybody used these companies - any good or bad info?

Just as a matter of interest there are dozens of Octavias in Jersey used as taxies (& Police cars) but I have have asked 3 or 4 taxi drivers with post 2005 Octavias with min of 75k on the clock and the have NOT had the ABS fail problem.

What to do!!

Thanks

Help, do I spend the cask ant extended warranty???

thanks

• 5 years later...

Had the same problem with my 5 year old Octavia this week and was told it was quite a quick job. Five days later I still haven't had the car back and being given different reasons including having problems bleeding the brakes.

I'm tearing my hair out and lost a lot of money not having the car. Where do I stand with a local garage and has anyone got any advice on how best to proceed.

Doesn't help that I don't know much about cars.

5 days is a long time just to replace the abs pump,as for the bleeding of the brakes im sure ive read on her that you need vcds (the dealer type software on a laptop) to energise the pump for bleeding but as i havent had to do this job yet i could be wrong. 

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have problem with ABS on my Fabia.

It was caused by malfunctioning decoder/sensor in hub. If I braked hard and hit the pot hole in road, wheel started to bounce and ABS failed...left me without brakes :-D

It was fun, especially right before the turn. I had to release brake pedal and start to brake again.

Sensor faults are diagnosed separately - it might be really ABS pump gone. Get used one from scrap yard.