vRS buying guide **Please read**

could add in the peculiar section about the cars that have moo'ing brakes in reverse? (i still can't take that sentence seriously but is best way to describe the noise :o)

solutions seem to have ranged from stripping cleaning and rebuilding the rear brakes, using chamferred pads (not sure if correct spelling) to completely new brake kits inc upgrades..

appreciate not major issue but could be suprise to the unsuspecting buyer (like me when i got mine!) :rolleyes:

Edited by mn1981
forgot to add: great guide though!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've stuck this, so feel free to link it when the new members ask the inevitable.:)

Har har :giggle:

This was exactly what i was looking for when i signed up, good work!

Damn thats good, must print off a copy when i go octy hunting.

Agreed to both of the above, thanks very much for putting the time in to write that out! :thumbup:

"mooing" brakes ..thank god I read that here - thought I'd got an expensive problem to fix.... will put up with it - besides it is useful as it alerts that oik walking behind me that I am there and to get out of the way lest I reverse over him :dull:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Im currently looking at a 2004 (54) Octy 1 VRS that has done 68k. From speaking to the dealer (haven't actually physically visited the location yet) I dont believe it has

had a cambelt changing.

Now as this guide suggests:

"Check cambelt and water pump have been done, every 4 years or 60,000 miles. If not done within the last 3 years then try and knock the seller down �300 as you will need to pay to have it done yourself within a year."

But the dealer reading from the service schedule says its to be checked at 60k and thereafter every 20k and then changed at 120k.

So who is right and who is wrong? How on earth can I bargain with the guy when this advice seems not to be the official line?

The guy will just laugh at me when I try to get 300 quid off!?

need an answer asap please guys.

Best Regards

Paul

That was what Skoda printed in the service booklet when the car was launched but 4 years later they brought it inline with other 1.8T models in the VAG range and changed it to "the cambelt must be changed every 60,000 miles or 4 years, whichever comes first".

This sounds like it's not a Skoda dealer, just a normal dealer, otherwise they would know this.

If they're being funny about it go somewhere else. There are plenty of VRS's about. If you do have to buy it from this dealer then get the belt and pump done as £300 is pennies compared to the price of a new top end if the belt snaps.

Thanks for the reply mate.

Yes it was an independant dealer and he had no idea.

Not to worry though as Ive just found and put a deposit down on an Octy Vrs that has had its cambelt and water pump changed just 4k ago :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Good thread.

I would emphasise one thing OIL!!

Make sure that it is clean, not black and dirty/thick. If it is stay away, you could have the oil sludge problem that at worst can end up blowing your turbo and your engine!

This is a common problem on 1.8T cars, so make sure you check this 100%

Basically the oil pump/pickup gets blocked and stops oil from going to the head. So in the end no oil goes to the engine. So obviously a engine with no oil= dead engine.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Brilliant thread. Just bought a very clean Mk 1 using a print out as a perfect inspection guide. After a few hotter cars, I'm enjoying the vRS quite a lot. Only one car key, though, so if there's any help on getting a replacement key made that would be well appreciated.