Skoda Octavia WRC Limited Edition...The Facts.

• 2 weeks later...

nice write up would love to own a wrc version but unfortunatly cant yet

also im confused why dealerships wripped the stickers off surely it devalues the car and sorta misses the point of being a limited edition wrc version

do all the wrc cars have the big intercooler gap in the front grill is so ive seen some and not realised

nik

Is it just me, or are those photo's of No. 42 not the same car? There seems to be some anomalies between the photo's.

The rub strip in the front bumper is green on the second photo (posted by someone who knows the owner) where it is grey in the original photo.

The registration no. is different, and of a different style of plate (although this could be some regluation regarding licensing in the country of residence)

The orginal photo does not have the original WRC wheels on it, the second one does.

Slight anonmolies over the livery (decels on the sill and front wing on the second photo, and not on the first.)

The location of the number plate on the first photo would indicate a standard VRs bumper, rather than the cut out WRC one.

I would suggest the first photo is of a replica, rather than an original WRC model.

Just something to bear in mind if you are trying to compile some definitive information on this particular model.

hehe, you are like Sherlock Holmes :)

Im friend of the owner of that no. 42 and on the firtst photo, its from the time they bought it. Now, it looks a little bit diferent, like on the photo I posted :) I think, Delcac should be worried about it :-P

hehe, you are like Sherlock Holmes :)

Im friend of the owner of that no. 42 and on the firtst photo, its from the time they bought it. Now, it looks a little bit diferent, like on the photo I posted :) I think, Delcac should be worried about it :-P

Fair enough. The differences just made me think that's all. :) Hope your friend enjoys his/her car!

• 3 months later...

One thing I can't work out; when making the wrc model, why didn't they use the 4wd system running gear which they use on other octavia models?

They don't even use this on the standard VRS, seems a bit crazy to me...

There may be a good reason for this, does anyone know?

Is such a shame as the car would be so different having 4wd, and also more like the rally cars used in wrc racing.

Still, not much we can do about it now... :)

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm guessing price would have made this prohibitive. And for it to remain a performance car with the extra strain of 4wd it probabaly would have needed at least the 225bhp variant of the 1.8t with these changes it's paractically no longer even the same car.

• 2 weeks later...

looks like u have spent a LOT of time on that write up !!! so is there going to be a 'mass gathering' of these beasts?? would love to get mine out and have a airing lol ( CAR I MEAN!!!) lol

• 6 months later...

After purchasing my Skoda Octavia VRS WRC No. 100/100 I found that information on them in general is quite hard to find. Briskoda does have the most information I have found, but it has been spread over several pages an there is no real single page to compile these, so I am trying to get it all here on one page...as well as try and find answers to questions I have too.

In order to complete this labour of love, I may have used certain cars numbers as examples. If you own these cars, and take objection to with me mentioning your number...please let me or a mod know and I will have the text edited. Hopefully you will see what I am trying to do here and help me out!

So...what we do know;

The WRC Skoda was released to the public in 2002, to celebrate 100 years of Skoda in motorsport. Only 100 were sold, of which 75 were LHD and 25 were RHD which were released to the UK at an original selling price of around �20700 (approximately �5000 more than a standard car) although many were sold at a lower discounted price as the asking price was considered too steep by some.

It has been referred to as "Skoda Octavia VRS WRC", "Skoda Octavia Rally" and the "Skoda Octavia VRS Limited Edition". As per the normal VRS, it is also officially known as a "RS" outside of the UK, due to Ford having the "RS" name rights in the UK.

At the time of writing, Briskodas WRC registry has been able to locate 30 of the 100 prodcued, of which 22 are RHD, leaving 3 RHD unaccounted for. Out of the 25 issued to the UK, number 89 was stolen and burnt out, and number 66 lives in Spain. This leaves a maximum of 23 *driving* cars in the UK, 20 of which are known. Number 1 resides in Germany, number 100 in the UK. This actually makes it one of the rarest VAG production cars available to the general public, especially when compared to such limited edtions as the 2002 Golf IV Anniversary which was limited to 1800 examples purely for the UK market.

The latest car to be found is number 72, which resides in Portsmouth, UK.

The 25 cars issued to the UK were registered on 02/52/03 plates, and the date of registry did not reflect the specific cars build number, for example although mine was the last made number 100, it was registered on a "52" plate, whereas number 12 is on a "03" plate. The bulid numbers and country of issue appear to be random, for example the UK did not recieve a batch of 25 ranging from 75 to 100, instead the UK plays host to 25 cars ranging from number 12 to 100. 12 being the lowest number found in the UK so far.

The cars were standard in every respect except the following features which were above and beyond a standard production Octavia VRS of that time;

- WRC replica graphics celebrating 100 years of motorsport.

- Exterior paint in "Candy White".

- Build number badge on dashboard, located above central air vents. Format: ***/***.

- Xenon Headlights with washers.

- Front Side Seat Airbags.

- ESP.

- VRS front door kickplates.

- Rear Mudflaps.

- "B Pillar covers in black (included in exterior graphics, but actually a seperate OEM part).

- Heated Front Seats.

- Side rubbing strips deleted.

- White 17" Spyder alloys.

- CD player and 6 CD Changer.

- Cargo net.

At the time of its build, the WRC had many options, such as Xenons and ESP that were not available to be specified on a Standard Octavia VRS, although that soon changed and those items just became a regular option on later Ocativa VRS's (Late 03 onward).

The promotional car, built prior to the car being released to the general public had bigger brakes, silver 17" spyder alloys, grey headling, no rear wash wipe, rear parking sensors and a sunroof.

Many of the cars no longer have their exterior graphics, now being just plain white, number 100 is an example of this, whereas number 84 still has its full graphics. Dealers sometimes removed the graphics in order to make selling them easier as they were deemed to be a bit too much for some buyers, as happened to number 51.

The usual documentation (handbook) supplied with the car, and the V5 make no reference to the vehicle being a WRC or Limited edition.

Some of the cars have been modified tastefully, number 73 now sports 19" white alloys and a replica WRC rear spoiler.

There were minor differences between the models, depending on market or build date etc, for example number 73 has Grey headlining, whereas number 100 had black headlining. It has been reported that some were made without a rear wash wipe, and others apparently came with black carpet or alarms with internal sensors although I have yet to find an exact car number with these variants. It is common to find WRC's with dealer fit front arm rests.

The car has been rumoured to "Handle" differently, but those who have checked the part numbers for suspension etc, have found them to be identical to the Standard VRS.

The WRC is commonly confused with a Police Spec VRS, however the exterior "Candy White" paint is all they actually share.

Problems specific to the WRC are few, it has been known for the build number badge to fall from the dash due to the glue giving up, and the white spyder wheels are very hard to keep clean, and original paint wheels are now looking a little worse for wear on some cars which is not bad considering it is a 7 year old car!

Valuing the car today is hard, as no specific price guide exists due to its very limited production run, but looking at the ones that have been for sale recently, they tend to be advertised �1000 - �2000 more than a Octavia VRS of similar age/mileage. The Skoda Octavia WRC is a modern classic, and future collectors car considering it was a rare version of the car that put Skoda back on the map in the public sector, the Skoda Octavia VRS Mk1.

Thats about everything I can think of at the moment, hopefully this article will help people who desire to know more about this very special car. I am looking for any original promotional material for this car, in particular any press material or original spec sheet. Does anyone have a hard copy they could scan in, or alternatively a link to online documents?

Does anyone know how you originally placed an order for these cars? Could you order one, or were they sent to dealers to sell from the forecourt?

If anyone can see any errors, or has something to add, please do so....although I am trying to keep this article as factual as possible so please bear this in mind when posting.

Mods:If this article could be made into a sticky, I would really appriciate it as I think it would help alot of people. I have not added this information to the registry so as not to hi-jack.

Regards,

Mike. :thumbup:

Mike

Interesting article. I live on the Isle of Wight and own number 91. My car has all the items you have mentioned as well as all the original artwork. The car drives very well and has no reached 73K. Never had any major problems. The only problem i have encountered is a new core pack.

• 4 months later...

Mike

Been out of touch with Briskoda for a few years now, but just came across your article on the vRS WRC, 66/100 is still in spain and not a spot of rust to been seen.

The car was damaged about 5 months ago during a hailstone storm in Alicante (long term parking), on my return she looked like a golfball. Contacted insurance company and they authorised full repair and respray but would not pay out for graphics and they said this was an additional feature, even the Spanish bodyshop argued my case, but to no avail.

Money now is in back pocket and will order new graphics for car end of this month, at the same time will ask for the wheels to be sandblasted and resprayed, taking the car back to its original order.

I have made no modification to the car since purchasing it new and it still drives great with no major mechanical issues.

10 years on and still enjoying the drive this car gives me, the only draw back now is the increasing amount of speed cameras that are being installed in my area and the reduction in speed limit from 120 to 110km.

All the best

GAZ....

• Like 2

Hi,

Just letting you know number 69 has been imported from Uk to Ireland by a good friend of mine. She had decals removed before he got it and it is treated like a baby. Looks bran spanking new and has only done around 3k miles in the last 3 or 4 years.

Maybe you should make a list to 1-100 and add it and say what country it's in and any main info like decals removed etc????

Great write up mike by the way.

Regards

Flood

Edited by dizbo66

• 3 weeks later...

How true is it that the WRC lacked the side rubbing strips as just found a white one on Autotrader?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201114383904471/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/8000/colour/white/model/octavia/make/skoda/postcode/rg224rh/radius/1500/keywords/vrs/page/1?logcode=p

No mention of it being a WRC tho.

How true is it that the WRC lacked the side rubbing strips as just found a white one on Autotrader?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201114383904471/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/price-to/8000/colour/white/model/octavia/make/skoda/postcode/rg224rh/radius/1500/keywords/vrs/page/1?logcode=p

No mention of it being a WRC tho.

I would say thats not a WRC, should have xenon light with headlight washers. I also think the WRC were not made as late as an 05 reg. I would say its probably been an ex-police car

• 2 weeks later...

Mike

Interesting article. I live on the Isle of Wight and own number 91. My car has all the items you have mentioned as well as all the original artwork. The car drives very well and has no reached 73K. Never had any major problems. The only problem i have encountered is a new core pack.

hello kev my dad 'dave' bought ur car bout a month ago now and was just wondering did u do the dint on the sill ??? and also thats for looking after the car well and hopefully u will see it again one day as we are starting to show it now also did u have the scorpion alarm put on it and who was it fitted by ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'm on the brink of buying #69, it's got all the usual kit that it should have,(apart from the livery), but it also has rubbing strips on the doors!

Should this be ringing alarm bells??

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hoping I have not missed the boat on this. Have been the owner of #83 for seven years, bought from the dealership with 12,000 on the clock. Now has 72,000 and drives just as good as new. Plan is to take it off the road and store it.

Still has the decals on, and had then renewed after having a scrape with a lorry. Assessor would not believe they were as supplied by Skoda until I got him to call the dealer I bought it from.

Does not have the rubbing strips. Headlines are black and has a 51 plate but first registered in 2002.