Handbrake cable issue on my VRS

fireman

just priced up 1002450 and 1002452 at ford and coming in at about £4.80 each? would be £11 + vat . thats more expensive than previously stated??

Is there not a Seat dealer in Kilmarnock, get them to give you a price for the listed VAG part number that gets used on the Alhambra MPV - same as VW Sharan - same(ish) as Ford Galaxy - that is if it was that model's springs that I and some others said was best!

yeh i thought those part number i said were suppose to be best no? if not what part number do you reccomend?

Use the 7M0 ??????? and 7MO ??????? listed near the beginning of this topic (not the 1K0 ??????? and 1K0 ???????? as in my mind they are too heavy when fitted to the Fabia/Polo/Ibiza).

That number that you quoted is Ford's equivalent.

Edited by rum4mo

Fitted the springs last night.

Brakes don't squeal anywhere as much as they did before, still a bit, but I put it down to needing a clean.

Fitting the springs took about 5 mins, helps (a lot) to jack the car up a bit so you have more room to work in.

Compressing the springs hurts by the way :D

Fitted the springs last night.

Brakes don't squeal anywhere as much as they did before, still a bit, but I put it down to needing a clean.

Fitting the springs took about 5 mins, helps (a lot) to jack the car up a bit so you have more room to work in.

Compressing the springs hurts by the way :D

what springs did you get? part no's?

what springs did you get? part no's?

Can't remember if I got them from Audi or VW.

Lucky I still had the bags they came in as I've been meaning to fit them for ages, invoice got lost long ago.

Part numbers 1K0615295 and 1K0615296

Oh and there is a little more force required to pull up the handbrake, but not a lot.

Part No.s from earlier in this thread are;

VAG equivalent parts for the Sharan - ie buy 7M0 615 295 (LHS) + 7M0 615 296 (RHS)

Will be using when I carry out work to rear calipers in a couple of months time B)

Part No.s from earlier in this thread are;

VAG equivalent parts for the Sharan - ie buy 7M0 615 295 (LHS) + 7M0 615 296 (RHS)

Will be using when I carry out work to rear calipers in a couple of months time B)

these a couple of ££ each too?

these a couple of ££ each too?

Yup, I seem to remember - though prices will be a bit more than I paid due to inflation etc. (time passing = inflation regardless of our wage increases!?!)

Will this maybe solve a problem i have at MOT? It says parking brake efficiency below requirements and offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort?

Could the springs be the answer or is there more to it than that?

cheers

Will this maybe solve a problem i have at MOT? It says parking brake efficiency below requirements and offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort?

Could the springs be the answer or is there more to it than that?

cheers

Could be....but also a sticking piston, worn pads or discs, h.b. worn cable??? B)

its ok i managed, sharran springs used....7M0 615 295 and 7M0 615 296

fitted in 2 minutes, no tools except a jack and my hands. I put it in first gear (was facing uphill) and released the handbrake.

the springs

mini-springs001.jpg

drivers side

mini-springs009.jpg

mini-springs004.jpg

mini-springs003.jpg

mini-springs002.jpg

passenger side

mini-springs008.jpg

mini-springs007.jpg

mini-springs006.jpg

mini-springs005.jpg

Edited by Scott Howie

its ok i managed, sharran springs used....7M0 615 295 and 7M0 615 296

fitted in 2 minutes, no tools except a jack and my hands. I put it in first gear (was facing uphill) and released the handbrake.

Good, that is exactly how I fitted them to my wife's Polo (I've just looked to make sure!).

Edit, actually, you will get the best results by slackening off the handbrake cable a bit and re-zeroing the pistons and cleaning up the pads and discs, refitting everthing and letting the piston adjustment find its new position - then remove some of the slack in the cable (that is as long as you slackened it off enough to make sure there is too much slack before sorting things out), otherwise you might find that the levers can not return fully due to the cable being too tight.

Edited by rum4mo

• 1 month later...

the design on them are the same as the astras i have changed a couple of them due to over time water gets in past the rubber boot seal (just below the ball part goes in the arm) and sometimes causes the cable to stick on my guess its the cable

• 4 weeks later...

For anyone thinking about doing this ,, i did it today and it works !! Fitted in minutes, sore fingers though.

Masochist, best to use a small pair of long noses mole grips - oh and they are handy for lots of other things too!

Good to hear that its works well though - maybe you should now re-zero the pistons and maybe see if the cable needs lengthened now - just to perfect it!

• 1 month later...

Well mine seem to be different calipers again. On a 2004 Fabia Vrs. Mine only have a small threaded hole on the lower part of the handbrake mechanism, and in that hole there is something akin to a bush (rubber covered metal circular bit.....) I don't know what the purpose of this bit is but it came out easily enough. I'll post a pic later.....

Well mine seem to be different calipers again. On a 2004 Fabia Vrs. Mine only have a small threaded hole on the lower part of the handbrake mechanism, and in that hole there is something akin to a bush (rubber covered metal circular bit.....) I don't know what the purpose of this bit is but it came out easily enough. I'll post a pic later.....

That's not just the harmonic damper is that some cars were fitted - to kill noises? I don't have that car but have read about that modification getting fitted to some cars.