What is Maxidot???

:rofl:

The VAT-free offer expires (if you are making use of this current Skoda UK promotion?), so theoretically you could be hit for 17.5% VAT at the time you collect the car and pay the outstanding balance.

If thats true (???) that is appauling that skoda can make you wait so long for the car then charge you a further 17.5 % (thought it was 15%?) due to THEIR long delivery times. I feel angry.

Surely breaking some trading laws arent they?

Luckily im NOT taking advantage of the VAT free deal so dont need to worry althogh i dont fancy waiting till 2010 for my new car.

damn you skoda..... damn you......

If Skoda wished to be fair about this they should honour the price at the time of order and prior to the 31st December.

Athough VAT fluctuations are usually exempt (they're so rare that it doesn't usually affect anyone) they should at least allow you the price equivalent to VAT free at the 15% rate even if they charge you the extra 2.5% when the VAT increases or garauntee that they can deliver before the end of the offer before you order.

I was at my local dealer today and asked them to clarify the VAT issue (rising from 15 to 17.5%) on new orders. They said so long as the dealership raises an invoice before the increase comes into effect then you're OK even if you then take delivery and/or settle the invoice after the increase. So just make sure they invoice you for the car before 1st Jan.

Oh, and the dealer also said Skoda prices are going up on 1st October (around 2.5-3%??). Not sure if everyone knew that, I didn't.

Oh, and the dealer also said Skoda prices are going up on 1st October (around 2.5-3%??). Not sure if everyone knew that, I didn't.

I didn't know that but I'm not surprised as the current exchange rate with the Euro is making it advantageous for UK buyers at the moment and will hit Skoda's margins.

It's difficult to do exact comparisons as the spec may be a bit different but an Octavia 1.4TSI Elegance manual gearbox without options and non-metallic paint is £14,765 in th UK configurator, the same car in Germany is €23,040 which using an online currency convertor converts to £20,865 which makes it £6,100 more in Germany. I was also once told that they don't discount prices in Germany either although dealers have some flexibility on trade in values. As I said the specification in Germany may be better, I think ESP is standard with the manual box, but I doubt whether all the extra's would add up to over £6000. The only reason I can see that there's such a difference in price is that some people in the UK still have an issue with the brand and maybe this isn't the case elswhere in Europe so Skoda's are priced more keenly over here.

If anyone's thinking of buying a Skoda I think the time to do so would be now as Skoda's UK margins may not be sustainable if the GB Pound falls even more against the Euro. (see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8266266.stm)

Edited by jzc008

The dealer said that whilst other manufacturers had put prices up earlier in the year, VAG had held off and these were the delayed increases. He didn't seem overly happy about prices going up and what that might do to his sales, especially with the scrappage scheme due to end soon and VAT going back up to 17.5%. No idea if there's any truth in any of it or if he was just trying to get a sale before the end of the month!

I was at my local dealer today and asked them to clarify the VAT issue (rising from 15 to 17.5%) on new orders. They said so long as the dealership raises an invoice before the increase comes into effect then you're OK even if you then take delivery and/or settle the invoice after the increase. So just make sure they invoice you for the car before 1st Jan.

Not allowed. This is against Customs & Excise rules on VAT charging. VAT is chargeable at the rate on the date the goods or services are provided.

They have already issued notices to retailers reminding them of the rules

Yes SUK are putting prices up on 1st October by 3%. If you order a new car before this Friday they will honour the old lower price at delivery