Fabia 1.2 12v - Oil query

MikeW

Got my car last Tuesday, really happy with it.

I've now done 400 miles and i thought i check the oil level.

Can't make out how much oil i've got, maybe because it's so new the oil's clean?

I've wiped the dipstick and tried to re-read several times, begininng to wonder if there's any oil in it all, either that or way too much, as the stick is moist above maximum but can't tell a definitive level.

Do you think i should keep checking or will i deplete the oil by a significant amount by constantly wiping it off the dipstick all the time?

Mike, are you checking the oil with the engine hot or cold? My manual says to check the level with the engine hot after it has been standing for a few minutes. It is definitely more difficult to read the 'stick' with hot oil. What I would suggest is to check the oil with the engine cold first thing in the morning, obviously on level ground, but understand the oil level will be 'slightly' higher than for a hot check. The thicker cold oil clings to the stick a bit better and normally gives a chance to see where you are at!

I had "no oil" when my Fabia 1.2 was delivered. It wasnt checked at the pre delivery inspection:rotz:

After a lot of deliberations, I acertained the following:-

The 1.2 engine is often installed on the slant, with the dipstick end considerably higher than the gearbox end. Why? No one seems to know and its a variable thing from what I gather. So, even though the engine is filled during the engine production process, the oil level is all to **** once its in the car.

Because of the position of the dipstick at the end of the engine instead of somewhere midway, it is very sensitive to the cars tilt, both endways and fore-aft.

To check the engine oil correctly, you must ensure the car is stood on a perfectly horizontal surface. According to the manual (daft as it seems), you should check the 60bhp version cold, and the 70bhp version warm. In any case the engine should have stood for a few minutes before checking the level. Always wipe and dip, dont rely on the the just pulled out dipstick level. If you wipe the stick, you will see the stick is matt finished, this makes it easy to see even the clearest of oil.

Only topup with a small amount at a time, say 0.25 litre, wait a couple of minutes and recheck the level. It is very easy to overfill the engine.

Because of this mysterious tilted engine installation problem, I recommend you maintain the oil at the half way point in the hatched area.

My 1.2 engine has so far used less than 0.25litre in 2000 miles (probably less than 0.1 litre)

Its been the most troublesome engine I've had when it comes to check oil level. The Corsa I had previously had a similar problem - that engine also had an end mounted dipstick.

You'd have to wipe the dipstick thousands of times to even remove 0.1 litre!!!

Skoda has started to fill the oil only to the minimum level on new cars delivered from the factory. So I've been told. My wife's Fabia Blueline was on the minimum mark, again not checked on the PDI. Evidently oil cannot be claimed back by the dealers, Skoda must be saving millions in oil alone.

Well great idea unitl all the engines seize up and have to be replaced under warranty. Though no doubt the customer should have checked.

Agreed it would only take a short amount of time to do a job properly and make sure the car is all ready. Although its not just Skoda that get things wrong. My mum's previous brand new Toyota Avensis started to smell like burning after a week turned out the oil cap had been left off and when checked the level it was only just registering on the dipstick, the engine was never right in that car after. I bet the ride was better after they had taken out the blocks.

At some point the cost cutting leads to problems which is normally the customers problem. Its like getting rid of spare wheels - yes it saves money, cuts emissions, increases fuel economy but it doesnt help anyone who gets a flat tyre in the middle of no where. Wonder when manufacturers will begin to realise these things.

I had "no oil" when my Fabia 1.2 was delivered. It wasnt checked at the pre delivery inspection:rotz:

After a lot of deliberations, I acertained the following:-

The 1.2 engine is often installed on the slant, with the dipstick end considerably higher than the gearbox end. Why? No one seems to know and its a variable thing from what I gather. So, even though the engine is filled during the engine production process, the oil level is all to **** once its in the car.

Because of the position of the dipstick at the end of the engine instead of somewhere midway, it is very sensitive to the cars tilt, both endways and fore-aft.

To check the engine oil correctly, you must ensure the car is stood on a perfectly horizontal surface. According to the manual (daft as it seems), you should check the 60bhp version cold, and the 70bhp version warm. In any case the engine should have stood for a few minutes before checking the level. Always wipe and dip, dont rely on the the just pulled out dipstick level. If you wipe the stick, you will see the stick is matt finished, this makes it easy to see even the clearest of oil.

Only topup with a small amount at a time, say 0.25 litre, wait a couple of minutes and recheck the level. It is very easy to overfill the engine.

Because of this mysterious tilted engine installation problem, I recommend you maintain the oil at the half way point in the hatched area.

My 1.2 engine has so far used less than 0.25litre in 2000 miles (probably less than 0.1 litre)

Its been the most troublesome engine I've had when it comes to check oil level. The Corsa I had previously had a similar problem - that engine also had an end mounted dipstick.

You'd have to wipe the dipstick thousands of times to even remove 0.1 litre!!!

A very interesting post, lots to think about. It's a relief to know that constant dipstick wiping doesn't lead to the loss of much oil!

As for keeping the oil at the halfway mark, to be honest i've absolutely no idea how much oil is in there? It's either nothing or too much as the stick is moist (most of the way up - even above the hatched area!) but the actual level seems impossible to ascertain.:confused:

Skoda has started to fill the oil only to the minimum level on new cars delivered from the factory. So I've been told. My wife's Fabia Blueline was on the minimum mark, again not checked on the PDI. Evidently oil cannot be claimed back by the dealers, Skoda must be saving millions in oil alone.

That's a bit worrying to be honest, i hope my dealer did the PDI correctly and filled it with the right amount.

Ive never had a new car where the dipstick wasnt located at the end, I have found checking the oil to be very easy so Mick, you must have a problem somewhere?

My cars oil is a tad overfull, and you can see where the dealer has topped up the oil at PDI as theres some overspill.

Ive never had a new car where the dipstick wasnt located at the end, I have found checking the oil to be very easy so Mick, you must have a problem somewhere?

My cars oil is a tad overfull, and you can see where the dealer has topped up the oil at PDI as theres some overspill.

I hope i've not got a problem, perhaps mine's just a tad overfilled like yours, can't really tell though.

All i do know is the dipstick is moist someway above the maximum mark, but i can't tell the actual level as it tapers off.

It's also very clean looking oil too, perhaps it will get darker with time and i'll be able to get an accurate reading in a few weeks - on the assumption the engine isn't being damaged in the meantime of course!

Oh yes, and i too have a bit of overspill where it must have been topped up by the dealer.