Help coding new can gateway needed

Crinkley Ol Sod

Hi all & a request for help!

My car is a 06 Vrs estate and I recently replaced the factory fitted MDF2 with an MDF3 Columbus, every thing worked without using VCDS. It squeaked to the maxidot just fine.

I decided to update the firmware to v2644 and then hit the power drain problem, so I invested in a new (direct from my local stealer Can gateway version 1K0 907 530 S) and being a virgin one it had not been previously coded for any particular car, so I expected I would have to recode it.

And thanks to Keith Lard’s post, as to where the bugger lives, it was easy to install.

Now this is where my problem starts, I cannot code the gateway!

I can’t even tell it is living in a right hand drive car, it thinks it’s a lefthander with a sunroof and the driver’s / front passenger’s doors are reversed in the maxidot display.

I managed to activate the ‘hidden’ menu in the Columbus and switched on the voice control using VCDS without problem. (Note to me, must install a microphone, because the nice lady living inside the sat nav keeps saying ‘pardon’ when I push the ‘i’ button),

I’ve tried changing the gateway installation list by selecting (clicking) the on the controllers the VCDS scan says are there and I’ve also tried using the long coding helper to activate the listed controllers but I keep get the following message “Coding rejected, Error 22 Conditions not correct or request sequence error”.

I have a scan from the previous gateway but it’s not very helpful because the new one requires more bytes than the old one, so most of the new codes will disagree with the original ones. However there is one byte, which doesn’t have any help attached to it so it’s just a direct Hex input, which the old scan shows as 07 but the new one shows as 00.

Could this be my problem or do I need to activate something else in the virgin gateway before it will accept being recoded?

Don’t want to go blindly bunging in Hex codes, in case the bugger decides to become a left-hand drive Audi TT with an electric sunroof or I totally brick the unit!

Any help will be most appreciated,

Ken.

Edited by DGW
Reset to defaultt formatting.

I will try to help you out. (Simeon was so kind to write me a pm :thumbup:)

What I did first is make a copy of the list that lists all the controllers that are connected to the gateway.

Did it with the latest VCDS software 908.

So first make a scan, this will make a list of all the controllers that are in your car.

You cannot copy the code of the old one, as the newer gateway has a longer code.

After this you can change the gateway. Wait until the bus is in idle or you can also disconnect the battery (I didnt disconnect the battery, just waited a while before changing the gateway). The gateway should be under the steering column, either right or left. Dont know where it is exactly as I have a LHD car.

After this I made a new scan with lots of faults. My rev S gateway also came out of an TTS audi.

Now I logged on the gateway (19) and used the long coding helper. First I had to take out all the controllers the TTS has and I dont (quattro, diffs etc). Than I recoded it with all the controllers the Octavia has. Used the numbers of the controllers as listed in the old scan. Only one controller is in a different space. Dont remember exactly but it one of the first (IIRC brake controller) it is on 00 instead of 01 or the other way around.

The other controllers are similar numbered as before.

The long coding helper helped me out. Still had to check all the other controllers for faults and had to clear them. (some faults I had to clear a couple of times, because I didnt do the coding correct the first time). Took me a good one and a half hour before I had the right coding. I am a beginner at VCDS too. But VCDS made it quite logical.

As far as I remember you dont have to recode the other controllers, just code the gateway with the right code.

Another thing, if you check with the coding helper, you will see that also the cartype has to be altered.

I will try to copy my scan and post it here. Problem is, my car is outside with my Eee in it where the scans are stored on, so I will do it later.

Edited by magic62

Hi Magic62,

Thanks for the offer of help, I think I am going to need all the help I can get on this one.

I am also a beginner with VCDS but the long coding helper does make everything seem logical.

Before I did anything I scanned the old gateway using VCSD and got the following………

00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000

01-Engine -- Status: Malfunction 0010

03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000

08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000

09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010

15-Airbags -- Status: OK 0000

16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000

17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000

19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010

25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000

37-Navigation -- Status: Malfunction 1010

42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: Malfunction 0010

44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000

46-Central Conv. -- Status: Malfunction 1010

52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: Malfunction 0010

55-Xenon Range -- Status: OK 0000

56-Radio -- Status: Malfunction 1010

62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: Malfunction 0010

72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: Malfunction 0010

76-Park Assist -- Status: OK 0000

The malfunctions were due to me disconnecting the battery, every time I parked up and not clearing the errors before I saved the data!

And the coding of the old gateway was ………….

Address 19: CAN Gateway Labels: 1K0-907-530.lbl

Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 F HW: 1K0 907 951

Component: Gateway H10 0120

Revision: H10 Serial number: 28001061082905

Coding: 7D3F0748072303

Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000

The last two codes 23 & 03 tell it to be a 4 door right hand drive Skoda (incidentally, these two are the same for the new gateway).

Then I disconnected the battery (again) fitted the brand new gateway, reconnected the battery and rescanned, which gave me the following……….

01-Engine -- Status: Not registered 0001

03-ABS Brakes -- Status: Not registered 0001

04-Steering Angle -- Status: Not registered 0001

08-Auto HVAC -- Status: Not registered 0001

09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Not registered 0011

15-Airbags -- Status: Not registered 0001

16-Steering wheel -- Status: Not registered 0001

17-Instruments -- Status: Not registered 0001

19-CAN Gateway -- Status: Malfunction 0010

25-Immobilizer -- Status: Not registered 0001

37-Navigation -- Status: Not registered 0011

42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: Not registered 0001

44-Steering Assist -- Status: Not registered 0001

46-Central Conv. -- Status: Not registered 0011

52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: Not registered 0001

55-Xenon Range -- Status: Not registered 0001

56-Radio -- Status: Not registered 0011

62-Door, Rear Left -- Status: Not registered 0001

72-Door, Rear Right -- Status: Not registered 0001

76-Park Assist -- Status: Not registered 0001

(Controller 00 has become controller 04).

The coding of this brand new gateway is………..

Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 S HW: 1K0 907 951

Component: J533 Gateway H07 0071

Revision: H07 01 Serial number: 040809F2000397

Coding: 00000000000002000000 (ß this is not a right hand drive Skoda!)

Shop #: WSC 00000 000 00000

1 Fault Found:

01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded

So I figured that it was only the Can gateway (well, it is the only bit that had been changed) that required recoding to register all of the other controllers.

As you said the coding is longer in the new gateway than the older one, so it isn’t just a copy and past jobby.

I went through all of the coding stages (using the long coding helper of VCDS) and activated only the controllers shown in the report.

But every time I tried to change any of the default codes all I got was………

“Coding rejected, Error 22 Conditions not correct or request sequence error”.

I even tried to change just one of the option (as a test) and it gave me the same coding rejected message.

Maybe something else needs to be changed before a virgin gateway can be coded?

Could it be hidden in the section that requires a pass word to get into?

If it is, anybody know what the password is?

I will be most grateful if you will post your Can gateway coding, so that I can compare it with the code that am trying to load up.

Well, at least my battery is keeping it’s electricity now!

Thanks again,

Ken.

If you go into VCDS, in settings you will have to enter a WSC (work shop code).

You can just enter 12345 123 12345

After this restart VCDS and now you will be able to enter the gateway and code it.

Hi Magic62,

Thanks for the quick reply,

I’ve been out all day today so I haven’t had a chance to play with any coding.

But tomorrow I will have a play and give it a go.

I think your suggestion of inputting a work shop code makes a lot of sense and hopefully not having a one stored in the gateway, is the reason why I can’t recode it.

I will report back (after tomorrow’s play time).

Regards,

Ken.

yup, it'll be the lack of WSC's stored in VCDS, took me a few goes to remember to input those! When you have those in VCDS it'll allow your new coding to be stored.

Just keep checking the fault codes in the CAN-gateway - it'll always flag 'control module incorrectly coded' until you get it right, because as you mention above the new gateway has more options than the old one.

Hi all again.

Problem sorted, it was the lack of a WSC in the gateway!

I just copied the code from the old gateway and put it in the new one and it programmed just fine.

Cleared all the fault codes, rescanned and……..

The result ………..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Part No SW: 1K0 907 530 S HW: 1K0 907 951

Component: J533 Gateway H07 0071

Revision: H07 01 Serial number: 040809F2000397

Coding: E9817F0E400202002303

Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000 <-nicked from the old gateway

No fault code found.

Thanks again for all the help.

Now I’ll have to do a search to try and find out why the ABS has just thrown up this and which pressure sensor it’s referring to…..

Address 03: ABS Brakes Labels: 1K0-907-379-MK60-F.lbl

Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 AA HW: 1K0 907 379 AA

Component: ESP FRONT MK60 0102

Revision: 00H13001

Coding: 0004738

Shop #: WSC 73430 790 00000

1 Fault Found:

01435 - Brake Pressure Sensor 1 (G201)

012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

I tried clearing the fault but it came straight back again, so there is something wrong, maybe the switch on the brake pedal ?

Regards

Ken.

Hi Mannyo,

Thanks for replying.

Sorry, my last post was a bit misleading because it sounded as if the fault suddenly appeared just after I had recoded the gateway.

The ABS fault (dash light coming on, being the first indication), didn’t appear until 3 days after the new gateway had been installed in the car and before I had managed to change it’s config.

So the chain of events is…. Installed new gateway Thursday (scanned everything but can’t programme it)……had a good think about it Friday…...asked for help Saturday (got some very helpful replies)…….ABS light comes on Sunday (but out all day, so can’t do anything about it) but I pick up the tip about WSC when I get home…….reprogrammed the gateway today using a WSC, thinking that would clear the fault (ABS fault still there).

Any thoughts?

Maybe disconnect the battery for a couple of hours and see if that’ll clear the fault?

Or did ‘sods law’ kick in and something decide to break, just to be awkward?

Ken.

I was a dealer tech. in the US for several years and will let you know I am not very familiar with all of the ROW models. That being said, I can not promise you a fix but lets see.

I have had several cars that after replacing the instrument cluster, the gateway needed to be re-coded. Keep in mind that the gateway was not replaced, just the cluster. The recode of the gateway simply refreshes the installation list. It is re-coded the same as the original.

After the first 2 steps were done, the ABS module needed re-coded and the respective basic settings set. The coding was the same (copy and paste it) and it resolved my 01435 fault. You may then need to follow basic settings procedures after the coding?

01435 - Ross-Tech Wiki

Hi All,

Thanks Keith & Dana for the latest tips, sorry I have not replied sooner.

I haven’t been able to try anything new for the last couple of days, (been up to my **** with other things).

Obviously far more important things (according to some people) than fixing the ABS on my car!

I will have another ‘play’ in the next day or so and post my results.

Ken.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I have same problem. I have 06 Skoda Octavia rs. I updates to Columbus rns510 and I have battery draining and maxidot issues. I fitted new gateway and tried to code it with VAG Com many times.

Nothing didnt work. I got a workshope code 12345 123 12345 but still nothing. Seems like gateway dont allow to coding.

How your issue got a resulotion??? What I have to do??

Many thanks,

Jan

Hi guys,

I have same problem. I have 06 Skoda Octavia rs. I updates to Columbus rns510 and I have battery draining and maxidot issues. I fitted new gateway and tried to code it with VAG Com many times.

Nothing didnt work. I got a workshope code 12345 123 12345 but still nothing. Seems like gateway dont allow to coding.

How your issue got a resulotion??? What I have to do??

Many thanks,

Jan

did not even have to put a new gateway, since firmware version 2724 and 2764 have no problems with battery drain. Therefore, I advise you to return your old gateway and put a modified version of the 2724 or 2764 and so will solve all your problems

moded fw 2764

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L0XJVKCZ

password: 2760

did not even have to put a new gateway, since firmware version 2724 and 2764 have no problems with battery drain. Therefore, I advise you to return your old gateway and put a modified version of the 2724 or 2764 and so will solve all your problems

moded fw 2764

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L0XJVKCZ

password: 2760

Hi, thanks for replay. Problem was in my chinese VAG COM (new version) cable. :doh: Today I tried with original VAG COM and all coding worked. Exept I dont understand why maxidot (its not showing sat nav and music) is not working and I cant changes music form joystick. Hopefully battery draining issues should be ok and all coding as well.

I replaced can gateway 2009 and this year will be a new firmware with new maps also.

Jan

Edited by jan vrs