seeking help - oil pump failure issue on 2.0TDi

Top banana

:mad: Right, could do with some help or comments on this one

bought a 56plate 2.0TDi superb elegance from skoda dealer 8 weeks ago, had 38k on clock.Car came with 1 year warranty as per normal for 2nd hand vehicle from dealer.

on Sunday 27th sept I went to use the car, as i pulled away from my drive the message "STOP - oil pressure low" came up on the info screen. stopped car and got help to push back onto drive. Checked the oil level, and all OK

contacted dealer who told me to get vehicle recovered to them for investigation - check up on latest news today to be told that it was oil pump failure !. The dealer have started work on just replacing oil pump - when done, they will start vehicle and as long as oil pressure is ok and there are no fault codes showing they are going to give me the car back. :thumbdwn:

Now in light of recent postings and general known issues with VAG 2.0TDi oil pumps, I have asked dealer to investigate with skoda UK about complete replacement of engine, as I am VERY unhappy about taking car back, as there is no way of knowing what residual damage may have been caused by having low oil pressure on start-up.

Am I within my rights to reject this repair, or even the whole vehicle ?

If anyone has got any helpfull comments or assistance I would be very grateful.:confused:

If it was only running for a few seconds with low ressure it's unlikely any damage will have been done, A similar thing happened to my mate's TT and it was ok after oil pump replacement.

As much as you'd like a new engine, I think unless you pay for it you will be very lucky to get one out of Skoda UK.

As for rejection, again unlikely, as the oil pump has been changed the car is therefore fixed and is no longer faulty/unfit for purpose. Check with trading standards/Citzens Advice but I wouldnt hold your breath - never say never though I guess.

Oil pump drive failure (the pumps themselves are OK) is common on the 2.0 PD. The chain sprocket has a "D" shaped hole in it which rounds - it's made like a Chinese toy.

As you were very careful not to run the engine when showing a low pressure warning, damage is fairly unlikely but even after a repair the design does not inspire confidence. The 1.9 engine is much better in this respect - I suspect the apprentice designed the changes to the 2.0 PD whilst the proper engine design team were working on the common rail engines.

The 2.0 BHW engine with chain driven balancer shafts is a complete disaster. (Not fitted to any Superbs).

You could sell it when it's repaired and buy a 1.9 - or better still, a Toyota or Honda. VAG are typically not honouring this **** up - or any of their many others.

rotodiesel.

Update on situation

Skoda UK have a TPI bulletin regarding oil pump failure so it is a known issue, and depending upon the severity of damage found they will only do whats needed to get car running again.

mines had new oil pump shaft fitted (shaft was worn and not driving the pump itself)

Skoda UK are going to warranty against pump failure again for 2 years, but I am still

worried about what may happen to other components that may have been compromised due to lack of oil

really thinking about getting rid of this car now as I just can't trust it to last the 3 years I was hoping for :thumbdwn:

cheers - TB

Honestly, you can run an engine with NO oil for a good minute or two before risking damage. A few seconds with low oil PRESSURE won't have done any harm at all. You have the balance of a year's warranty, and on the off-chance that there HAS been an issue, it's unlikely to remain hidden for that long.

If I were you, I'd class it as a lucky escape, and just enjoy the car now it's fixed! I had a similar thing with the coolant on my wife's (my fault :o ), and once it was sorted and checked out, it's been fine... :thumbup:

Considering the large amount of work involved in changing these pumps, it has to be worth at least a look at the main/big end bearings at the same time. I replaced a pump a while back due to the driveshaft rounding off, the crank bearings were all knackered, I don`t know how long the engine had run with no oil pressure though.

This looks to be a right micky mouse design, the pump driveshaft looks like it belongs in a meccano set!

Another Superb TDI in at the moment with no oil pressure, engine ran but knocked badly. Removed sump, intermediate drive gear to pump/balance shafts had fallen off, main bearings knackered, crankshaft broken in half !!!

Repair estimate is six and a half grand !!

Fit a 1.9 AWX engine out of a crashed Passat. It would be better for the 5 speed transmission to go with it.

No Mk1 Superb is now worth spending any serious money on.

rotodiesel.

I've had a chat with another victim of this, in his case it went at 80k and took the turbo with it, Skoda wanted a grand for the turbo, but his man went direct to Garrett and it cost £600 in the end, absolute put off for me tbh.

I have had the same problem last week on an 06 with 42k on it. Gutted. Haven't finished paying for it yet. Turbo went too and heard today that with the new pump and the turbo, the engine is "knocking" badly which sounds like Big End bearings and crank to me. Totally utterly gutted.......

The car is just out of warrenty and skoda are helping to pay for the repairs so far, but I'm not hopefull about any further help with the further damage.

I'm afraid oil pump or pump drive failure is a "coronary" for any engine. Unless the engine is stopped as soon as pressure is lost, damage will result. If the engine is run under load with no oil, the damage is very extensive - and not worth repairing.

The big end bearings effectively centrifuge the oil away from the mains when pressure is lost - this is why when you strip an engine, the main bearings are always in a dreadful state. Seizure often results in the crank breaking at the fillet between the journal and the web.

A complete new engine (then sell it) is the only way out. Sorry.

rotodiesel.

An 06, with a design fault meaning you need a new engine, sounds like goods not fit for purpose to me.

If skoda didn't cough up a good amount for that then I'd be saying hello to a lawyer and a small claims court.

FWIW is this only affecting 2.0 engines in longitudinal mountings, or does it also affect the 2.0 L TDI's in the Golf/Octavia such as BKD etc.

Always try to go for goodwill first - there must be some good in M-K. (somewhere)?

The matter of oil pump drive failure is complicated on the 2.0 PD because there are several combinations: balancer shafts fitted or not, chain driven or gear driven - for example. So, lots of engine variants.

The chain driven balancer 2.0 engine (BHW) is by far the worst, but I don't think it appears in any Superbs.

As a 1.9 owner, I'm looking at this from a distance but where I work, several diesel Passats come over from Germany so I see a few problems... I'm sorry I can't correlate engine types with failures - I suspect the oil pump drive detail is far more important than N-S or E-W engine mounting. The transverse 1.9 130PS engines didn't give much trouble - there are lots of high mileage old Golfs and Octavias.

rotodiesel.

having read the threads here concerning the pump drive failure on the 2.0 tdi engines, is there a specific engine that is having grief with this problem?

i have recently returned from a 2k mile trip from south of france, without any issues at all, even the engine didnt require topping up with oil ! Ihave religiously brought forward the oil change service intervals, as i didnt like the idea of a warning light counting down to the next service.

The engine code for my car is BSS and i was wondering if this particular engine is also likely to suffer from oil pump drive failure. Our car has done 32k and always has the recomended lubricant specified for this model, plus as ive mentioned i get the oil and filter changed every 6mths on average.

So if anyone can shed light on what engines are having issues it would be much appreciated..regards andy

Skodanut - as far as i am aware its the 2.0TDi PD 140bhp engine that seems to be the issue here.

dont want to worry you but my vehicle was just over 3 years old with 37k on the clock when I bought it from a skoda dealer. thank christ it came with a warranty as i had only had the car 7 weeks when the pump failed.:mad:

I really want to get rid of this car now, as I have no faith that this fault or other oil starvation issues will not happen again. I had planned to try and keep this car for 3-4 years but I am worried that something will go pop big time.

so either you have to keep a warranty going and hope its covered, or accept that if you

have a 140bhp PD lump that you could be on the recieving end of a major bill at some point in the cars life.:thumbdwn:

I wonder if all us owners who have had issues could get a group action going to reject these vehicles as not fit for purpose ?

cheers - Tb

Don't waste your time - the Milton Keynes machine is more finely tuned than any of the products it represents and will fob you off in microseconds.

Vote with your cheque book - although my particular car and its engine (1.9 PD) have been reliable, I have no intention of of spending any more of my hard (and honestly) earned cash with them.

rotodiesel.

Edited by rotodiesel
spelling

Right so having read these threads regarding suspect oil pump drives that decide to give up the ghost and ruin the 2.0 tdi engine through lack of lubrication...what is actually causing it to fail? poor oil qualities? Is the specified oil for the engines too thin maybe? my car has the main dealer 5w-30 oil in it every 6000 miles, so im kind of hoping i wont have these issues.

Could it be just that some members have been very unlucky that their cars have suffered a coronary as one member put it. I has a vauxhall cavalier many moons ago and went through three clutch cables in a mth...found out the cables just werent man enough to depess the clutch and basically a strand of wire was fraying quite quickly resulting the clutch pedal hitting the floor.

It seems to me, that although rotodiesel mentioned the drive shaft being like a chinese toy, is this shaft being starved of oil causing it to wear out in the first place? or is the oil that is specified in the 2.0 tdi too thin for what it has to do in keeping the engine in good health? any comments? regards andy