New Sat Nav Disk

If I hadn't done some research on this website I wouldn't have even thought to ask the dealer when I collected my car, it sounds like a common trick they try on to make a bit more dosh at the dealership :thumbdown:

If I hadn't done some research on this website I wouldn't have even thought to ask the dealer when I collected my car, it sounds like a common trick they try on to make a bit more dosh at the dealership :thumbdown:

In the spec sheet for the skoda superb combi, issued by skoda here in ireland, it lists as part of the elegance spec, : columbus navigation system with dynamic module ( map software CD not included), and i am told that the disc costs approx €200, unless dealer uploads it for you.

I had the same response from 2 dealers for 2 seperate cars and officially from Skoda UK.

They do not supply the disc with the car.

Jon

They do if you ask for it, had the same issue prior to acquiring mine, but that was last May.

If you don't ask you don't get

... columbus navigation system with dynamic module ( map software CD not included), and i am told that the disc costs approx €200, unless dealer uploads it for you.

When I bought my Octavia, it was capable of dynamic routing but the supplied disk was the "plain, basic" type (that's why the system was not dynamic). When I said that as the unit was capable of dynamic routing, it should be supplied with a suitable dynamic DVD, Skoda disagreed. I later purchased a dynamic DVD from TeleAtlas - all was well and "Dynamic" was then an option, no longer greyed out. When I bought the Superb, it came with the dynamic DVD and had dynamic routing enabled.

I believe that the withholding of the DVD is sharp practice to say the least. However, is it possible that the car now comes with the "plain" DVD and dealers are uploading the dynamic version?

I seriously doubt it and if that's not the case, bare-faced lying to customers is totally unacceptable.

Ray

My Superb came in October 2009 with a new copy of V3 mapping, the same as my previous Octy came with in 2008. My dealer does not know that any upgrades exist... Is this lack of Skoda product training or just plain "can't be bothered"!!!

I reckon it's probably a combination of both. I don't think Skoda UK actually go out of their way to inform dealers of new map DVDs. Likewise, I don't think many dealers actively try and find out about it.

The master technician at my local dealer is very much on the ball, and makes a point of finding out about stuff like this. They have always supplied the map DVD with every new Superb they sell. They share a site with their sister VW dealership, and both franchises are definitely supplying the V6 DVD with new cars that are being delivered.

Bagpuss.

My Superb came in October 2009 with a new copy of V3 mapping, the same as my previous Octy came with in 2008. My dealer does not know that any upgrades exist... Is this lack of Skoda product training or just plain "can't be bothered"!!!

This week my copy of V6.1 duly arrived. I have looked up the instruction book about loading it on since there are no instructions with the disc and apart from pressing the "store" button there are no other guidlines. Can anyone please advise what is the correct procedure? I would be very grateful.

Cheers, G.K.

Just bung it in, accept the prompt about navigation being stopped and then press the save button. Leave the disk in for about 50 mins and then eject it.

Many thanks.

G.K.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Can I just ask those folks with the V6 or 6.1 disks if they have full post code

capability?

I have been told by Skoda UK that it is coming, and I was just wondering if it was on these versions

Thanks

Chough

I have just put on V6.1 and it still does not give you full postcode search. (but it does recognise the new road between the Forth road bridge and Edinburgh airport!!) which was not on the V3 which I had on previously.

I've got 7 digit post code searches working on my v6.1 DVD.

I simply used POI Inspector to create a custom postcode category, and populated it with the post code data file that was leaked onto the internet in July last year. If your Google Fu is strong, then I'm sure you can find it.

To set the destination, you just do a POI search, select the postcode category, type in the post code, tell it to search near the destination, and away you go.

So far, it's proved a godsend during my normal business travels.

I'm still hoping that VW might license the full data set, but until they do, I've got a solution.

Bagpuss.

• 1 month later...

Would love to know where you downloaded the POI Inspector from and if it was free. Also would be useful to know where you got the postcode data file. I am desperate to get the Sat Nav system to take 7 digit codes - have been told by the dealer that there is a CD available from Skoda for £200!

Would love to know where you downloaded the POI Inspector from and if it was free. Also would be useful to know where you got the postcode data file. I am desperate to get the Sat Nav system to take 7 digit codes - have been told by the dealer that there is a CD available from Skoda for £200!

Hi...I'm an intruder from the Octavia forum but have a factory fitted Columbus in my new 1.8TSI Octavia Elegance estate! Not sure if this is quite what you are looking for but it may be of interest - check out post No 8 on this thread:

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/155806-columbus/

POI Inspector is commercial software. Check out the thread here:

http://vwnavi.com/showthread.php/10041-**HOT**-New-RNS510-POI-inspect0r-v3.0

for more information. You can download it for free, but to remove the restrictions you need to register it.

The post code data is now available for free from the Ordnance Survey. It's called Code Point. You can get the data here:

https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/opendatadownload/products.html

Hope that helps,

Bagpuss.

Edited by Bagpuss

• 1 month later...

I just checked with my local dealer.

They can supply V6 from Oslo if I am willing to part with 3862,- NOK. That is GBP 409,15 !!!

I can't see any reason for not buying the disk from UV worldwide ?! ;)

For some reason I feel that someone at Moeller ( The Norwegian VAG importer ) could need a vist to a psyciatric ward! :giggle: