Superb oil

As for the main focus of this post. Thanks for tip. Oil for my car was 9 quid for 4 litres from TPS rather than 25 quid from VW dealer :thumbup: Oil filter and sump plug pretty cheap too

• 1 year later...

If you have the car setup for fixed servicing or up to 10,000 miles you can use VAG spec oil 505.1 which is usually 5w/40 or you can use VAG spec 507.00 which is 5w/30, I use the 507.00 spec and change it once a year just before the MOT is due. The 507.00 spec can be left in for up to 2 years or 18-20.000 miles, not something that i would do but everybody to their own.

I forgot to mention if the car has a DPF fitted you must use 507.00 spec.

Thankyou, I'd rather not use vag formulated oils, I would like to know which oil from say "halfords" will be suitable for my car. Im assuming Edge 5w30?

So If my car doesnt have a DPF is Castrol Edge ok? The Castrol website gives two oils for the pd 130 engine,

QG1 - 30,000 miles Castrol Edge 5w-30 or QG2 - 10,000 miles Castrol Edge TurboDiesel 5w-40 Only -

Im assuming the only means for turbodiesels only, yet there is notes about diesel particulate filters and those oils are both suitable for cars fitted with them, Im assuming they are ok for cars not fitted with them also? Can anyone clear this up, I need to buy some oil! BTW i have always used Castrol in all my cars.

Edited by pdsuperb

Go to ASDA , you will get Castrol Edge 5w/30 for £35.00, cheaper than Halfords.

Its usually on offer in Makro for £26 for 4 litres but you pay vat on that so it works out about £32 ish -

They also do magnatec for about £18 minus the vat, sometimes the bottles are 5 litres also !

I havent read my manual yet, I intend to but is it right the sump capacity takes 3.6l of oil so one 4l tub will do ?

Edited by pdsuperb

Thankyou, I'd rather not use vag formulated oils, I would like to know which oil from say "halfords" will be suitable for my car. Im assuming Edge 5w30?

It is not VW formulated, it is just made to their spec - by many oil manufacturers.

You are a braver/stupider (delete as necessary :giggle: ) man than me to put non VW approved spec oil into a PD.

It is not VW formulated, it is just made to their spec - by many oil manufacturers.

You are a braver/stupider (delete as necessary :giggle: ) man than me to put non VW approved spec oil into a PD.

Castrol Edge 5W-30 has got "for Audi/VW PDI" on the can, im sure of it.

Castrol Edge 5W-30 which is 507.00 ?

Right so if an oil meets 507.00 then its ok, From what im finding out, Castrol Edge 5w-30 is 507.00 and says for vag pd engines on the sticker, cant get much more suitable than that ! I'll be changing it every 6-8k anyway regardless.

Anybody confirm this or are using Edge in their PD ?

Edited by pdsuperb

Use 507 if you have a dpf fitted car, it's to keep the ash lower and beneficial to your pocket and temper long run

Use 505.01 or 506 in non dpf cars, and don't use variable servicing at all, it's a fleet gimmick, they aren't going to own the car by the time the damage makes itself known, so even if you use 507 change it every 10k 12k at most or you will have gunked up egr and turbo components.

The oil I always use, which is the VX 5/30 FS one now has the 505.01 spec on the label, so you can see this two ways, I played a gamble and I won, or the oil simply lacked the approval branding, as this has now become the case I can only stand by using the VX oil, but not others that lack the spec but are good quality, btw the VX one is as dear as the VW ones, I only use it because I get it @ £15 / 5L and I know it's quality, you wouldn't want to pay the dealer rates of £55 / 5L, so unless you can get it on the VX trade card and buy it bulk you might as well buy the VW ones from GSF.