Different Colour Dials

Leooo

Hi all,

I was wondering, if I wanted to get the dials and surrounding switches changed from the colour green to red where I would get that done? Has anyone done it before/recommend a place or have photos of their dials?

Cheers,

Lee

Hi all,

I was wondering, if I wanted to get the dials and surrounding switches changed from the colour green to red where I would get that done? Has anyone done it before/recommend a place or have photos of their dials?

Cheers,

Lee

You mean the lights or the actual numbers? If it's the lights, won't it just be a different coloured bulb? No idea how to do it, but it must be do-able

Yeah I mean the bulbs, but would this mean I have to take the whole dash and door cards off? I think it would be too time consuming for a company to tackle and i dont have the time available to do it myself as i dont wana f*&^ it up :)

There was a thread a while ago detailing how to replace a number of the LED's around the car with blue ones, however it was never finished afaik due to the need for resistors behind the dash and on some of the centre console switches.

do you think a company would say 'no way' as its too much grief.. surely a VAG expert like AmD in Essex would be able to do it?

Any electrician could do it armed with a haynes guide to show how to get at the LED's. I doubt anyone would say "it's too much hassle" they'll just say "it'll cost x much"

• 1 month later...

it can be done, and has been done. however its very time consuming and fiddly, the LEDs are tiny surface mount ones and can only really be attached using the correct tools. For the switches, its proberbly easier to buy the VW/Audi/Seat version as they will lightup in the correct colour, same with the climate control and so on.

I've swapped the instrument cluster for a Golf mk4 cluster and all the switches and climate control can be swapped over for Golf parts too. You will need to disassemble the heated rear window, esp/asr, heated seats and petrol flap release switches though to replace the LEDs with red ones. There was a guide written by EddyH about it but not sure where that has gone now.