Another cambelt interval thread

cj_uk

Hi, I've just enquired with Skoda UK when my cambelt change should be, prior to this call I spoke to a couple of local Skoda dealers, the dealers reckoned 75,000 miles or 4 years. Skoda UK reckon 95,000 or 4 years, I did question this with them as my car is a 2.0TDI and the chap confirmed with his technical team that my VIN shows that my car is a 2.0TDI and that the cambelt change is every 95,000 miles or 4 years. So I've gone from 60,000 miles when I first bought the car, to 75,000 miles from a couple of dealers to 95,000 miles from Skoda UK. Has anyone else found this ?

Regardless of what anyone says, I had my 2.0TDi PD changed at 60K miles. If the belt snaps its a very expensive fix, so I prefer to err on the side of caution. As far as I am concerned the belt change is 60K or 4 years for me.

As a matter of interest, how old is your car and how many miles have you done?

I had mine changed this year, car was 4 years old, 56K.

My car will be 3 years old in March.

Different delears say different things and Skoda UK say something different.

If you haven't tuned the car then i would say your prob safe to follow the manufacturers/dealers guidelines.

However with the extra stresses etc that an extra 80+bhp and 125+lb/ft puts on the engine i'd rather not take the risk.

Carl :thumbup:

Just asked Winchster Motor Co service chap, and he tells me 120,000 miles or 4 years, for the petrol pre-FL 2.0 T-FSI (Petrol)

Go back to him and tell him to go outside and shake his head then come back in and give you a sensible answer.

120k for a CamBelt is absurd. I don't know (although someone may prove me wrong) of any manufacturer that claims that.

most are around the 60-75k mark after that the use chains

My service guide says 80,000 miles.

Ignore whats in the service guide, that is the guidance that was available at the time the service book was printed. The guidance is under review constantly, for example take the mk1 octy vRS where the first service books said the interval for the belt change was 110,000 miles which was then revised to 60K miles following a lot of belt failures.

Always change a good bit before its due. i know loadsa guys in other cars qhop have found out the hard way. mine will be done at around 60k, or if a service is due just before it'll be done then.

if i had a mechanic try to tell me that it was ok to leave the cam belt for 120k i probably would never go back there for work again

In fairness to them WM Co are a pretty good garage (Skoda Dealer of the Year 2008). I think the guy I spoke to wasn't very experienced. I shall be changing it at the 4th service which will be just under 4 years old and around 55-60k at a guess. So don't worry about me - I'm not silly enough to leave it to 120k.

Hi Guys

Quick question on this. I've got a 54 plate 1.6FSI with 25K on the clock (owned from new) . Dealer serviced every year and they have never mentioned getting the belt done. Should I be replacing it in the next few months ?

Cheers

J

Hi Guys

Quick question on this. I've got a 54 plate 1.6FSI with 25K on the clock (owned from new) . Dealer serviced every year and they have never mentioned getting the belt done. Should I be replacing it in the next few months ?

Cheers

J

The fact that it is 5 or 6 years old even though it is only low mileage I would get a new cam belt fitted, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Hi Guys

Cheers

J

So here's a question. Does the 1.6FSI engine actually have a cambelt, or is it a chain?

Having recently bought an 06 Octy with this engine, and despite only having done 25k, if it is a belt it should be due for a change quite soon.

However Google'ing for info on this (haven't got as far as asking a dealer yet as service isn't due till May), there was a discussion on a VW Touran forum and it would seem to suggest that the 1.6FSI is chain driven and therefore doesn't need replacing.

Anyone here have a definitive answer on this?

So here's a question. Does the 1.6FSI engine actually have a cambelt, or is it a chain?

Having recently bought an 06 Octy with this engine, and despite only having done 25k, if it is a belt it should be due for a change quite soon.

However Google'ing for info on this (haven't got as far as asking a dealer yet as service isn't due till May), there was a discussion on a VW Touran forum and it would seem to suggest that the 1.6FSI is chain driven and therefore doesn't need replacing.

Anyone here have a definitive answer on this?

Im more confused now having looked at "What Car"

All engines, apart from the 1.6 and 2.0 FSI engines, need their cambelts changed once every 60,000 miles or four years.
wish I was more car savvy :)

Go back to him and tell him to go outside and shake his head then come back in and give you a sensible answer.

120k for a CamBelt is absurd. I don't know (although someone may prove me wrong) of any manufacturer that claims that.

most are around the 60-75k mark after that the use chains

The Ford Sigma Engines (branded as 1.25, 1.4 and 1.6 Zetec) with automatic tensioner have 100,000 mile cambelt intervals and I haven't heard of any major failures. Infact my girlfriend's 1.25 Fiesta is still on its original cambelt at 110,000k as to change it would cost more than the car did!

The first cambelt on my car was done at 91k!

Which i think is more than enough for a belt, the car has now done 47k on the current belt and im looking to replace the belt at 60k.

Vauxhall recommend 40k cambelt intervals for there petrols, which is more than reasonable.

Quick update on this. I popped by my local Skoda service centre this morning and had them check their data for the 1.6fsi engine. Much to the surprise of the guy I was talking to the 2004 1.6FSI is indeed a CAM chain and not a belt. Net result I don't need to be forking out for a new belt :)