ABS and Brake warning Light on during Cold weather

Broadbean

I have aproblem with my beloved Fabia VRS, in that in this cold weather the ABS and Brake Warning lights are coming on initially and are taking about an hour to reset. This reset will only happen when I stop and restart the vehicle. What I would like to know has anyone out there experienced this before, is it common and should I be now worried? I know I should not drive with it on but this only seems to be happening since this cold snap.

Cheers

Andy

Since the cold weather started I have noticed on my 2006 VRS when you turn the key to the first position all the warning lights come on and go off as they all self check and are error free I presume.

When I start the car the ABS and Traction Control light come back on and then go off after a couple of seconds.

When the car has been warmed up after a journey and you come back to it and restart the car, the warning lights do not come back on after engine start up. (normal condition)

Also had the water warning light come on whilst ticking over in the drive whilst de-icing the out side of the car - water level is fine

Since the cold weather started I have noticed on my 2006 VRS when you turn the key to the first position all the warning lights come on and go off as they all self check and are error free I presume.

When I start the car the ABS and Traction Control light come back on and then go off after a couple of seconds.

When the car has been warmed up after a journey and you come back to it and restart the car, the warning lights do not come back on after engine start up. (normal condition)

Also had the water warning light come on whilst ticking over in the drive whilst de-icing the out side of the car - water level is fine

Classic symptoms of a battery on it's last legs. With a good battery, warning lights all go off and stay off after starting (handbrake light is the exception.) Basically after cranking, the battery volts are so low, you get false PAS/ABS/ASR warnings.

Classic symptoms of a battery on it's last legs. With a good battery, warning lights all go off and stay off after starting (handbrake light is the exception.) Basically after cranking, the battery volts are so low, you get false PAS/ABS/ASR warnings.

Mine's just started doing this, it is an 06 plate on its original battery. Is 3 and a half years about right battery lifespan? Any other checks I can do to see if battery is going?

Mine's just started doing this, it is an 06 plate on its original battery. Is 3 and a half years about right battery lifespan? Any other checks I can do to see if battery is going?

The problem with diesels is they hammer the battery. My car is an 07 plate, and I fitted a new battery in July, due to the PAS/ABS/ASR lights coming back on for a few seconds after starting from cold. My old battery passes all normal tests, including heavy load test. The only test it fails is 24 hour open circuit voltage which should be 12.5 volts or more, but is only 12.27 volts. My battery age meter shows the battery is 60% efficient.

Obviously I have more test equipment than most folk :rofl: However, a simple test, is to charge the battery to maximum, then check the voltage across the two terminals with a multimeter 24 hours after charge, and the car not being used. Anything under 12.4 volts, the battery needs replacing. Test is best done with battery disconnected from the car.

One thing I have discovered about car batteries, is they will fail on you at the worst possible time. Something to do with Sod and Murphy apparently.

don't want to tempt fate, but i'm still on my original battery, 04VRS :doh:

it does crank slightly slower at present, but i will give it a good charge tomorrow at work, well until dinner time anyway ;)

don't want to tempt fate, but i'm still on my original battery, 04VRS :doh:

it does crank slightly slower at present, but i will give it a good charge tomorrow at work, well until dinner time anyway ;)

Consider fate tempted to the extreme mate :rofl: